It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Question I got a Paragard IUD Inserted- Others' Experiences?

On Monday, May 16th, I got a Paragard Copper-T IUD inserted. I'm 20 years old and have never had children. I chose this method because I can't handle ANY hormones due to adrenal & thyroid issues. Anyway, insertion WAS painful, I won't lie. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be during insertion, though, but afterward, I did suffer badly with cramps for a couple of days. It just felt like severe menstrual cramps, but Advil took care of that while I needed it. It's now the 6th day, and everything seems fine. I got the IUD inserted while I was menstruating (about the last day or so) and I have only been spotting lightly since then. BUT- I'm nervous about having sex with the IUD. I know it's been placed correctly as I feel the string and everything, but I am a little worried about possible cramping taking place. Those who have had a Copper IUD inserted:

1. Did it hurt to have intercourse afterward? If so, did that go away after a while?

2. Does anyone experience mild cramping with position change every once in a while?

I think it's just knowing that I have something in my uterus that is making me nervous about having sex again, which I know is irrational. I'm just concerned about intercourse possibly knocking the IUD out of place and having a complication due to that factor.

~Katalina (Pretty happy with her new IUD)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Re: I got a Paragard IUD Inserted- Others' Experiences?

anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Katalina,

I had a Paragard for 18 months, same situation as yourself, no kids. The insertion was done just after my period, it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced (and I've had both nipples pierced). The pain etched so deeply in my mind that I wasn't even able to force myself to get a Mirena. I quit using the Paragard because bleeding heavy for 9 or 10 days at a time left me absolutely drained every month (no pun intended ). I know not every nulliparous female getting an IUD has this bad of problems, I may just be an exception.

Initially, I had awful cramps the first two days, cramps so bad even food went right through me. Sex/stimulation helped the cramps a lot, just be careful having intercourse at first if your partner is on the larger side.

Yes, after getting the IUD I would cramp changing positions, especially if you have a small uterus, this is to be expected. I was really scared at first too, and questioned myself for weeks if I had made a good decision.

Overall, I loved having the IUD, I really miss the convenience and not having to wrack my body with horomones in order to prevent conception. I liked getting to know how well my body worked without the interference of synthetic horomones-- it was somewhat empowering. Keep in mind it can take 3 months or so for your body and horomones to adjust to having a foreign body in the uterus (even though it is copper it still upsets horomonal balance by being placed into the uterus).

It seems to be true what is said about the cramping. The IUD gave me pretty bad cramps each month, which got better as each one went by. Then around the 6 month mark, it was like someone "flipped a switch", and my cramps nearly all but disappeared. Sorry for writing a book, good luck with your IUD. Regards.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
(female)

jenn1v HB User

Hi,

I had mine done in March. Before having the Paragard IUD i was on Depo. I haven't had any children as well. Having the IUD put in hurt a bit, I had about 3 sharp pains and then it was over. I had bad cramps for about the 1st month and they have been getting better. I waited about a week after having it put in to have sex. I had no problems and my husband didn't feel anything. It will take some time for your body to get used to the UID. I'm very happy with my choice. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
(female)

4schmitts HB User

Hello there.
I had the paragaurd inserted in October 6 weeks after the birth of my second child. It was SOOOO painful. I could actually feel the Dr. Grab my poor uterus with these tongs- ahhh! It
Anyway, I cramped for a couple days and thats it. I am nursing my daughter still so I have yet to have a period, but I never have cramps. Somtimes during sex I feel a sharp pain like the wire is stabbing me, but it only feels like that is I am not lubricated enough.
I like not having to take hormones- I am hormonal enough all ready, and plus I can nurse my daughter with it and I wanted something that could definitly work-
I want more kids later but not for a few years. I am so moody that if I were taking the pill, one day I would want another baby and just quit taking it and then the next day not want another baby so I would take it... This way when I am ready for more kids I will have to actually have it removed by my Dr. and thus avoid any pregnancy caused by a mood swing.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Mellowfish,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I pretty much went through what you did with the excruciating pain for the first couple of days, and now I'm fine. BUT- I haven't had a period yet, and to be honest, I'm pretty terrified of experiencing cramping like I did when I got the IUD inserted- that was terrible and I really don't want to go through that again. Ouch. I waited about a week after having the IUD inserted because I was worried about sex possibly setting off the cramping, but that never happened. I've only had sex with the IUD once so far, and experienced no pain whatsoever. It was great, actually, not to worry about anything. You nknow though, I did wonder about the hormone thing. The reason I chose the Paragard in the first place was to steer clear of hormones (I have strongly suspected adrenal & thyroid problems, I didn't want to mess up my body even more). BUT, I HAVE been very moody since I got my IUD. My mom keeps telling me that it's psychosomatic, but it sure doesn't feel it. I suppose that it does make a lot of sense that placing something in your uterus can cause your hormones to go wild. Hmnn. I just hope I don't have extreme bleeding when my period comes. Thanks for sharing your story
~Katalina

Old 05-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

jenn1v,
Thanks for your experience. I also waited a week to have sex, as I was worried that it might set off my cramps, but luckily, that didn't happen, and it was great not to have to worry about birth control or pregnancy. I guess you're about two months into having your IUD now, right? Well, I hope everything keeps going smoothly for you, as well as for myself.
~Katalina

Old 05-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

4schmitts,

So the IUD insertion was painful even after having children? Wow. It's definitely an experience to remember, that's for sure. Like you, I only cramped for a couple of days, also. I am moody, too, and already have wayyy too many hormone problems to take the pill. So far, I've only had sex with my IUD once, and it wasn't painful at all, it was great not to worry about anything. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience
~Katalina

Closed Thread