It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #1

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User
Ovcon-35

Have any of you out there tried this pill? I am switching from Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Ovcon-35 next month b/c I have horrible cramps on my period as well as the first week of pills on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Can any of y'all tell me if you liked this pill or not? It's hard to find out information on it on the web... I can't even find a website for it.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #2

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User
Ovcon-35

Anyone? I would really appreciate any information on this pill. I cannot find that much on search engines. Thank You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Ovcon-35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio_lv_1214
Anyone? I would really appreciate any information on this pill. I cannot find that much on search engines. Thank You!

Hey, I've been on it going on 7 months. So far I've gained 7 lbs. due to a temporary (for only a month or two) increase in appetite. At the time, I wasn't supplementing with extra exercise to make up for it, so consequently, I gained weight. I'm now really busting my butt to get the weight off, hopefully I can now since the appetite increase is gone. I clean houses plus I work out 4 or 5 days/wk. If I can't get the weight off after this pack, I'm going to try switching to Kariva (generic for Mircette) and hopefully that will help. Please don't be discouraged from taking it (Ovcon-35), however, because everyone will react differently. In fact, this is my second time on this particular pill. The first time I didn't gain weight, my boobs just got bigger (C to D) no weight gain elsewhere either, it was nice. Unfortunately, after 4 months I had to stop taking it because it made me so depressed I couldn't stand it. This time, no depression just weight gain. I'd say give it a try, I say it's one of the better pills out there, there are others that are a whole lot worse. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience. Hope I helped.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-01-2005 at 08:18 PM.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Inactive

Hideout HB User

Ovcon 35 is really the best birth control on the market today. It's a monophasic and the progestin that is in it has been around for more than 30 years. The reason why you can't find out about it is because some small pharmaceutical company owns it and they don't advertise.

You will really be happy with Ovcon!

Old 06-02-2005, 05:31 AM   #5

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User
Talking Re: Ovcon-35

Thank you guys very much for responding! I'm not too worried about the weight gain part. I have gained about 15-20 pounds in the past 6 months since I started Ortho Tri-Cyclen! I have actually been reading that when someone switches pills to Ovcon-35 they may actually lose weight! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. No matter how much exercise or dieting I do the weight won't come off, which is killing me because last year I LOST 20 pounds, then switched birth control. (bad idea haha) My doctor doesn't think Ortho is strong enough for me because I have horrible cramping for 2 weeks straight. I hope it helps! I have been reading and it sounds like one of the stronger types of hormonal birth control.

Thank You!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
(female)

stoutheart HB User

I'm on this pill also. I'm on day 5 of my 3rd month. I have had terrible breakthrough bleeding for the first 2 months. This month it seems like it's trying to stop it. It's really been up and down this month. I have my fingers crossed. Remember, everyone reacts differently to different pills.

I'm going to my OB today so she can see how I'm doing on it. I'm not sure if she will change me or not. We will have to see. {removed}

{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 06-02-2005 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Read posting rules. No websites.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #7

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User

I was reading a table that compared hormones in Ovcon to others and it seems like one of the highest hormonal brands out there.
Another question is does anyone know if Blue Cross Blue Shield covers Ovcon-35? I was trying to find out from the website, but it was a little confusing. It said that the generic for this was Nordette. Has anyone tried this? I really don't want a generic brand b/c of all the bad things I hear about generic bc pills.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio_lv_1214
I was reading a table that compared hormones in Ovcon to others and it seems like one of the highest hormonal brands out there.
Another question is does anyone know if Blue Cross Blue Shield covers Ovcon-35? I was trying to find out from the website, but it was a little confusing. It said that the generic for this was Nordette. Has anyone tried this? I really don't want a generic brand b/c of all the bad things I hear about generic bc pills.

Thanks
That's interesting, my pharmacist said that there isn't a generic for Ovcon-35.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
Inactive

reallyworried HB User

I just started ovcon-35 a little over 2 weeks ago...my period lasted for like 10 days and then quit for a few and has started again just a little lighter...kinda annoying but hopefully it will go away very soon! i thought i read somewhere that ovcon was the best to take not to gain weight, im not sure though. thats what im worried about cuz i dont wanna gain weight!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
Inactive

Hideout HB User

There is NO generic for Ovcon. Blue Cross & Blue Shield will pay for Ovcon but you may have to pay a higher co-pay. Trust me, Ovcon is the best choice out there. It takes 3 to 4 months before no bleeding or spotting. There is no weight gain with Ovcon. Good luck and stick with it!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyworried
I just started ovcon-35 a little over 2 weeks ago...my period lasted for like 10 days and then quit for a few and has started again just a little lighter...kinda annoying but hopefully it will go away very soon! i thought i read somewhere that ovcon was the best to take not to gain weight, im not sure though. thats what im worried about cuz i dont wanna gain weight!

Everybody is different. I'm currently on Ovcon-35, starting my 7th month. I had a temporary (month or two) increased appetite from it and I've gained about 7lbs. This is my second time on this pill. The first time I took it, I didn't have any weight gain (just bigger boobs ). In fact, at the time, I was trying to lose weight and was able to do so with no problem, 35 lbs and kept it off until now. I'm hoping to get the weight off, if not, I'm switching to another pill. Good luck to you.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #12

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout
There is NO generic for Ovcon. Blue Cross & Blue Shield will pay for Ovcon but you may have to pay a higher co-pay. Trust me, Ovcon is the best choice out there. It takes 3 to 4 months before no bleeding or spotting. There is no weight gain with Ovcon. Good luck and stick with it!

Ok...that's good! I was looking on their website and it said that there was Nordette for Ovcon-35 (which is "supposed" to be the same thing and the generic for it) and i was thinking oh no...not a generic! Right now with Ortho Tri-Cyclen I pay like $8 a month so I just hope it's not much more than that is

thanks a lot!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout
Um....I've gained at least 7lbs. so far due to an increased appetite that I didn't have before being on it, everybody's different.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-02-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #14

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User
Ovcon-35

I have been on bc pills for about 5 years (all due to cysts on my ovaries) and I have never had a problem with breakthrough bleeding, so I think I might be ok on that. I have tried ALOT of different pills and have never had that problem. Actually I never had any side-effects until I started the ortho brands. I first started Ortho-Evra, then Ortho lo, Then Ortho Tri-Cyclen and all of them I had horrible side-effects. Maybe the brand is just not for me. I hope that Ovcon-35 works for me ...I have my fingers crossed

Old 06-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #15

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User

Has anyone had any other negative side effects besides spotting and a little weight gain? I'm kind of getting nervous now about my breasts growing. Being a 34DD right now, I am not looking forward to them getting bigger. Now that I have been thinking about it, they probably will grow. They seem to grow a little more with every week of my cycles with Ortho Tri-Cyclen now. oh well...if it works, I'll take it!

Closed Thread