It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

Ankyra80 HB User
Question How am i protected on the 4th week of the pill?

I'd like to know how is it possible that im protected on my off days (4th week) of taking the pill. If, in deed, it is possible to get pregnant during your period, how can i be so sure it wont happen. If i miss a pill during the first 3 weeks, im at high risk, but then if i dont take any that 4th week how am i not at risk? Is i possible for an egg to be present on that 4th week? If the pills inhibit ovulation, how come ovulation doesnt occur once i stop the active pills? Why do i get my period insted?

I ask because i am sexually active on that week because my period is very light.

Im kinda confused on the dynamics of how the pill really works... if a womans body produced progesterone and estrogen on its own, why are extra hormones needed? What exactly are the roles of each of the hormones?

Old 07-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User
Re: How am i protected on the 4th week of the pill?

If you do a search on THIS website under the birth control board you will find a VERY good explanation of this by Dasies4monkeys.
You are still protected during your off week, provided that you have been taking your pill correctly (meaning every day at the same time).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

Ankyra80 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_shine_2010
If you do a search on THIS website under the birth control board you will find a VERY good explanation of this by Dasies4monkeys.
You are still protected during your off week, provided that you have been taking your pill correctly (meaning every day at the same time).
HI and thanks, but its hard for me to search thru 96+ pages of posts...

... im sure theres someone out there that can answer these questions...

Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

I will find it and repost it...well try to copy and paste it for you
i have nothing better to do...i'm just sitting at home with a sprained ankle
HAHA

Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SayMoo HB User

The pill regulates your period.. women with already regular periods do not ovulate during their period. ..pill or no pill.
The only reason women can fall pregnant during their period is if they have sex during their period and then due to their irregular cycles ovulate right after their period...and if some left over sperm is still inside them from the time they had sex, they could fall pregnant. With the pill as soon as your period stops, you start taking the pill.

Thats just my explaination of it

Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

Because, you need to take 21 active pills to ensure that protection for the week off.

And now, a far more scientific explanation of how the pill prevents pregnancy:

In your brain is a gland. This gland is called the pituitary gland, and it is responsible for making Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing Hormone (LH).

If you are not on the pill, then towards the end of your period (around day 6), the pituitary gland releases a small amount of FSH and LH.

The FSH signals the ovaries to start preparing an egg, which begins to grow/mature in a tiny "sac".

As the egg grows, the ovary produces estrogen, which thickens the lining of the uterus. As estrogen levels grow, the pituitary gland produces LH.

The surge of LH causes ovulation (the release of the now-mature egg).

The egg travels towards the uterus,and is viable for approximately a day.

The now-empty egg sac in the ovary causes the production of progesterone, which helps to thicken the uterine lining.

If fertilization occurs, the embryo burrows into the uterine wall and the high levels of estrogen and progesterone keep it firmly stuck there. The embryo releases hCG, the pregnancy hormone, which signals the body to keep pumping out the estrogen and progesterone.

If fertilization does NOT occur, the egg dies, and hormone levels begin to drop. Once hormone levels have dropped a lot, the uterine lining begins breaking down and you have a period. Then the cycle starts all over again.

On the pill, the hormones in it signal brain to not produce FSH or LH. Even IF her body started to produce FSH and LH at the very end of her placebo week, once she started taking the active pills again, no more would be produced, and the egg would stop maturing and eventually be reabsorbed into the body.

Without FSH, no egg can mature, and without a mature egg, ovulation and fertilization cannot occur. The lack of LH means that the uterine lining does not build up very much.

When a woman takes her placebo/sugar pills, the hormone levels in her body drop, and the uterine lining breaks down and bleeding occurs.

As I previously said, there is a small chance that during a woman's placebo week, an egg may have started to mature. It would not have had time to fully mature, and once the active pills were started, no FSH or LH would be released. However, it is slightly possible that when a pill is missed, the body could seize the oppertunity to start making FSH in response, and the egg could finish maturing and be released. Generally, it takes more then one missed pill to allow this to happen, which is why many pill packages will tell you that for one missed pill only, no back-up is needed.

However, the more pills you miss in a row, the more likely it is that an egg will reach maturity and be released.

It is so very important that a woman not take more then seven days off the pill each month in order to ensure her body has not had the chance to mature an egg.

Taking 21 pills in a row ensure that by the time a woman reaches her placebo week, even IF a partially mature egg was present at the beginning of the pill pack, it would long since have been reabsorbed into the ovary, and thus no ovulation will occur during the placebo week,and hence, pregnancy cannot occur.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

That post was by Dasies4monkeys by the way, so i don't take credit for it

Old 07-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
(female)

Ankyra80 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_shine_2010
That post was by Dasies4monkeys by the way, so i don't take credit for it

YAY!!! thank you so much Star_shine_2010!!!! I appreciate u pasting the info...

Old 07-26-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
(female)

Ankyra80 HB User

bumping this up for the ladies who make new posts for info thats already been asked....

Closed Thread