It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

entropy212 HB User
Red face the pill and weight loss

I am currently on Yasmin birth control. I have been on Yasmin for a year and a half. For the past six months I have been really serious about diet and exercise, exercising AT LEAST 3 times a week for an hour and 1/2-2 hours, cardio and weights and guess what...I haven't lost a pound! Could my birth control pill be preventing me from losing weight?

Old 07-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #2

mizvespa HB User
Lightbulb Re: the pill and weight loss

Many doctors will say no, but I say MOST DEFINITELY. Several years ago I went on Ortho Tryi-Cyclen. Right when I started this pill I decided that I wanted to lean up & lose 5-7 lbs. of bodyfat (this was something that has always been easy for me to do). I went from eating whatever whenever to being on the Atkins diet VERY STRICTLY and working out 4-5 days a week, but ended up gaining about 5-7 lbs. I couldn't believe it! My gyn kept telling me that it wasn't the pill, so just "stick with it". I stuck with it for about 4 bloated months. Guess what?! Within 3 weeks of getting off of the pill I dropped almost a dress size while eating more & doing less cardio!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
(female)

mousey HB User
Re: the pill and weight loss

I went from eating whatever whenever to being on the Atkins diet VERY STRICTLY and working out 4-5 days a week, but ended up gaining about 5-7 lbs. "

Of course you'd gain weight with working out 4-5 days a week..you gained muscle weight. Muscle weighs more then fat.
I wasnt on the pill and i went through a stage where i took up swimming every day , every morning from 6-8am.
I gained weight even tho my diet was healthy..i gained muscle weight most likely because i couldnt tell i gained weight.,..and im not prone to gaining weight either being 5'7 and 110lbs.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

entropy212 HB User

you know, im going to get off of it for a small period of time and see if that does the trick. I dont know why I haven't even lost inches, I was always so active and now this weight is just bogging me down...thanks!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #5

mizvespa HB User

No - I gained soft flesh from ortho-tricylen - not muscle. My abs became less and less noticeable. Within a few weeks of getting off of ortho, my abs were visible again. It was not muscle weight. Anyway, I was doing no weight training, just intense cardio. Ortho tricyclen bloated me right up (or out) - there is no doubt.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
(female)

Tales610 HB User

Your doctors will always tell you that the pill isn't the reason for any weight gain. BUT! I was on the pill for 4 years and I gained about 25 pounds in those 4 years no matter how much i worked out NOTHING would make the weight go away! Well in November I got off the pill and Now without any working out or changing a diet or anything i've lost 20 pounds Coinsidence? Its so different for all different women. Now My periods are all messed up so I got back on the pill and Im hopin to only be on it for 3 months and Im off! I dont need te weight gain back:-( Good luck though!

Old 08-04-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tales610
Your doctors will always tell you that the pill isn't the reason for any weight gain. BUT! I was on the pill for 4 years and I gained about 25 pounds in those 4 years no matter how much i worked out NOTHING would make the weight go away! Well in November I got off the pill and Now without any working out or changing a diet or anything i've lost 20 pounds Coinsidence? Its so different for all different women. Now My periods are all messed up so I got back on the pill and Im hopin to only be on it for 3 months and Im off! I dont need te weight gain back:-( Good luck though!

Going on the pill for 3 months, then stopping it again probably isn't going to regulate your periods...

Old 08-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
(female)

zptabby HB User

After three months on Yasmin, I now have belly fat and back fat which I NEVER had before even when I was a few pounds heavier! And my breast grew nearly a whole cup size. I am already a D cup and a DD is unexeptable for my frame. I did not like what this pill did to my body. I just switched back to the pill I took before and am having to work twice as hard to get my body back!!!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

i have been on the pill for quite sometime and I have noticed it being hard to lose weight. About a year ago I really got into doing cardio, just cardio, i lost about 5 or 6 pounds but ended up stopping my cardio....

I started the low carb diet a week ago tomorrow and I have lost about 3-4lbs already and that is without working out. Im sure if I was working out that I would be losing more, but I just havent gotten "around" to making myself work out.

Are you dieting? Maybe low calorie counting?

Old 08-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #10
(female)

RakMeHrda HB User

It depends... it may just be your body's weight plateau. or water gain-maybe you are losing but the pills are giving water weight.
I gained 15lbs when i started Desogen... got off it, hopped on Alesse.. lost 10.... it was just water weight..now i'm trying Yasmin.. and we will see how that works.. i was told it is supposed to be less for water weight gain.. which is good.
so i don't know.. pills do funny things to you.. but as far as preventing you from losing the weight.. i don't think so.
Weight watchers is good... try it.. easy too..

Closed Thread