It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User
Confused about Aviane

I'm writing this for my daughter, as she's the one who wants to be on the pill (better that than getting pregnant by her boyfriend!). The directions are really confusing to us. Maybe birth control pills are just different than when I took mine years ago. I forget which ones I was on (a long time ago!), but I remember a pack had 21 pills. I took a pill a day for 3 weeks and during the week that I wasn't taking them was when I would get my period. Hers must apparently be different or else I'm not getting something or other. The Aviane pills come in a 28-day pack having 21 active (orange) pills and 7 reminder (green) pills. The directions give you two options...you can either do the "Day 1 Start" or the "Sunday Start". If you choose the first option, you would start taking the first pill the very day that you get your period. So you'd actually be taking active birth control pills on the days when you have your period (the total opposite of how I did it years ago when I bled when I wasn't taking any pills!). If you choose the second option and start taking the active pills on the Sunday following your period, you'd either be partially into your period or totally over it. I don't get how birth control pills can work when there's such varied ways of taking them. I'd think that it's either one way or the other. According to the directions, a woman is safe from getting pregnant and doesn't have to use any other form of birth control if she does the "Day 1 Start" option, but if she's a Sunday starter, then it says to use another method of birth control as a back-up method if she has sex anytime from the Sunday she starts her first pack until the next Sunday. It just so happens that my daughter's period started today (Sunday), so I just told her to go ahead and start taking them. Will it always be this way, that she will be taking active pills while she's having her period? Or does it eventually regulate itself and adjust and her period will be on a schedule like mine was years ago and she'll get her period while she's on the reminder pills? We're both in the dark about this. You'd think I'd know better being that I'm older but I don't. She's 19 and has found a guy that she cares enough about to have sex with him, unlike a lot of girls nowadays (her perception and mine anyway) who seem to bed hop from one guy to another like they're the flavor of the week. It seems like so many people are into casual sex these days. I'm glad she's not like that though. Since I don't understand how these pills work, I thought here would be a good place to ask, as I assume that someone else out there is taking these and can help. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Confused about Aviane

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow
I'm writing this for my daughter, as she's the one who wants to be on the pill (better that than getting pregnant by her boyfriend!). The directions are really confusing to us. Maybe birth control pills are just different than when I took mine years ago. I forget which ones I was on (a long time ago!), but I remember a pack had 21 pills. I took a pill a day for 3 weeks and during the week that I wasn't taking them was when I would get my period. Hers must apparently be different or else I'm not getting something or other. The Aviane pills come in a 28-day pack having 21 active (orange) pills and 7 reminder (green) pills. The directions give you two options...you can either do the "Day 1 Start" or the "Sunday Start". If you choose the first option, you would start taking the first pill the very day that you get your period. So you'd actually be taking active birth control pills on the days when you have your period (the total opposite of how I did it years ago when I bled when I wasn't taking any pills!). If you choose the second option and start taking the active pills on the Sunday following your period, you'd either be partially into your period or totally over it. I don't get how birth control pills can work when there's such varied ways of taking them. I'd think that it's either one way or the other. According to the directions, a woman is safe from getting pregnant and doesn't have to use any other form of birth control if she does the "Day 1 Start" option, but if she's a Sunday starter, then it says to use another method of birth control as a back-up method if she has sex anytime from the Sunday she starts her first pack until the next Sunday. It just so happens that my daughter's period started today (Sunday), so I just told her to go ahead and start taking them. Will it always be this way, that she will be taking active pills while she's having her period? Or does it eventually regulate itself and adjust and her period will be on a schedule like mine was years ago and she'll get her period while she's on the reminder pills? We're both in the dark about this. You'd think I'd know better being that I'm older but I don't. She's 19 and has found a guy that she cares enough about to have sex with him, unlike a lot of girls nowadays (her perception and mine anyway) who seem to bed hop from one guy to another like they're the flavor of the week. It seems like so many people are into casual sex these days. I'm glad she's not like that though. Since I don't understand how these pills work, I thought here would be a good place to ask, as I assume that someone else out there is taking these and can help. Thanks.

She needs to start the pill sometime during her period because this is when hormone levels are at their lowest. Once the pill regulates her cycle, she should only bleed during the inactive week of pills.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSheridan
She needs to start the pill sometime during her period because this is when hormone levels are at their lowest. Once the pill regulates her cycle, she should only bleed during the inactive week of pills.
Thanks very much! I told my daughter what you said. Now that would explain some things that I was confused about. It's been so long since I took BCP that I really didn't know what to tell her. You helped us, and I appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
(female)

mousey HB User

Its best to start the pills during day ONE of her period.

Closed Thread