It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User
Nuva Ring...how long does this last?

For those using the Nuva Ring, I have been on it for a week now, and I like it so far, but I have just recently noticed a yellowish discharge that has gotten worse. I never got anything like this when I was not using birth control. Its not really that serious of a side effect, just a little gross and I dont feel as clean down there... Anyway, Im thinking that I should take it out in the shower and rinse it out tomorrow...but I was wondering if anybody else experienced this and how long it lasted, and if rinsing helped. Thanks!

-also, have any of you experienced any water retention? I have a little lately and am wondering if its from the BC or just from my diet

Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #2

asunrun HB User
Re: Nuva Ring...how long does this last?

I've been on the ring for about 4 months, and I've noticed this happening, combined with a distinct smell. I know that I don't have a Y.I. or B.V. but I have yet to figure out why this is happening??

The only other side effect I've had is some acne. I never had acne/pimple problems before going on BC, so I can't say I'm too happy about this side effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

SweetHome HB User

I too have added discharge from the ring... It only happens around the end of the second week and the beginning of the third week. It is not a yeast infection or anything just a side effect of the ring... Rinsing does help

I too began experiencing more acne while on the ring... it has been quite a while since I had breakouts and I am NOT happy with it happening now.

Last edited by SweetHome; 08-03-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #4

asunrun HB User

SweetHome, are you currently on the ring? If yes, when did you stop experiencing the breakouts? Did you use anything to quell the acne? It's just frustrating because I have no intention of switching BC since this is so easy and private, but I hate the acne!!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I have used the ring for two months now and had acne prior to starting. I was told it would clear up my face though. When I first started I thought I saw an improvement however, it seemed like "the calm before the storm". I like this B.C. a lot though and hate that it isn't helping with the acne. But, I have always been told that it takes a few months for the hormones to kick in and settle down in your system so I will try it for a while longer.

I also noticed the distinct smell and discharge. It's not a bad smell...just different.

Last edited by littleone314; 08-03-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User

Its funny, because its been a week since I last posted this thread and since then Ive developed quite a few breakouts (hence, the acne you are all speaking of). It makes the discharge look like nothing! Its been about 2.5 weeks so Im hoping it will fade out over time...? I have since rinsed out the Ring once a week and it has helped a lot w/ the discharge issue. However, I am pretty mad about this acne side effect, since I have always had mild skin problems that come and go; I thought, if they were hormonal, that a birth control would help. I was on Seasonale for 1.5 months prior to this and it actually cleared UP my skin, but I haven't found a bc until this Nuva Ring that has worked with my body, so I dont plan to switch. If anybody found that their acne cleared up, it would be great to hear about it, and when Thanks!

Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
(female)

SweetHome HB User

I am currently using the ring and after two months, I finally got a grip on the acne problem...

I thought I had finally outgrown breakouts and had pretty good skin. I use origins skincare products and they have an acne treatment called spot remover and it seems to be working. I also use a clay mask around the week before my period, I just pay more attention to my skin before and right after my period.

Closed Thread