It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User
Question Stopping pills to have period in middle of pack?

I'm on continuous birth control (Diane-35, monophasic). Is it ok to take one week, take a break for a period, and finish the next 2 weeks? I want to time my period for a certain week and I"m wondering if it's ok. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SunKissed HB User
Re: Stopping pills to have period in middle of pack?

I'm not sure if u would actually get your period that week, it may be a little messed up because there will not be enough uterine lining to shed if u take active pills for only a week. That is why its designed to be taken for three consecutive weeks then a week off and there is enough to shed. Some other women might know more and can give u better input but it would mess ur cycle up to take only a week, then a break, then the next two weeks. If u take a break and get ur period, u should be starting over another whole pack. Just keep taking the pills all month and into the next month if u want so u dont get ur period at all? Hope this helps?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Flamingo
I'm on continuous birth control (Diane-35, monophasic). Is it ok to take one week, take a break for a period, and finish the next 2 weeks? I want to time my period for a certain week and I"m wondering if it's ok. Thanks!

I advise against trying that. You'd be better off trying to skip your period the week that it's scheduled.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User

Well the thing is I've skipped my period for about 2+ months now, so by the time I get to the 2nd week of the next pack there will definitely be enough lining to be shed.

The reason I don't want to skip my period for another month is: I'm going away to university. I have very heavy periods and I want to get my period "out of the way" so I don't have to deal with it for a few months at university. I don't know how long my body can hold off having a period also.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Flamingo
Well the thing is I've skipped my period for about 2+ months now, so by the time I get to the 2nd week of the next pack there will definitely be enough lining to be shed.

The reason I don't want to skip my period for another month is: I'm going away to university. I have very heavy periods and I want to get my period "out of the way" so I don't have to deal with it for a few months at university. I don't know how long my body can hold off having a period also.

You're still better off skipping your next period. Most practitioners say that skipping periods is safe for 3 consecutive cycles.

By taking only 1 week of hormones, you'll probably just screw up your cycle more, and might end up having your period the week that you don't want it, anyway.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User

thanks for the advice...anyone else?

Old 08-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

It's your call, but there really isn't any reason to stop now and have a break. You only have two more weeks of pills left, so why not just use them? However, if you know you will take them after the next full pack you take, then you can do that, too (thereby taking 5 weeks of active pills).

However, in my opinion, it's probably better to just take this entire pack and then stop for a period.

Last edited by Daisies4monkeys; 08-06-2005 at 09:19 PM.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User

Thanks for the advice...again, the reason I want to do this is so I can get one over with and postpone my next one for as long as possible. If I waited till the end of this pack to have a period it would be a bad time because I'll be moving to university. See my problem? If I would have taken a break before I started a new pack (which I didn't) I wouldn't have been able to postpone my period as long as I would have if I do what I suggested. Sorry, it's very confusing...

Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Then since you've taken more then twenty-one consecutive pills, stop and take a break. But just be sure to not go more then seven days without pills. And when you start your pills again, be sure to take at LEAST 21 pills before your next break. So since you'll have only two weeks left of this pack, that means the best thing to do will probably be to open a FRESH pack, and take that. When that's done, if you want to again skip your period, take the leftover two weeks from this pack.

Whatever you do, make sure to:
-go no longer then seven days without taking an active (hormone) pill
-take at LEAST 21 active pills in a row before taking a break.
-if you DO go over seven days without an active pill, or take less then 21 pills in a row before having a break, use back-up such as condoms until you have taken seven active pills perfectly (one a day, on time, no interfering substances, no vomiting right after taking the pill.)

Good luck at University!

Old 08-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User

Ok thanks for the suggestion. Why should I start a fresh pack instead of taking the remaining 2 weeks? (The pills are monophasic)

Also, btw, I'm not taking the pill for birth control...just to regulate periods.

Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Well, if you aren't taking it for birth control you certainly have more "wiggle" room, but be sure to follow the seven day rule if you do start using it as birth control.

You don't have to start a fresh pack, since it's monophasic -- just it's generally easier to open a fresh pack and take all of it rather then try to remember how much you need to "make up" when starting a pack that's already half gone, since it's crucial that at least 21 active pills are taken before taking a break to ensure optimum efficiency.

Closed Thread