It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #1

ByTheWay HB User
Timing and Birth Control

Ok, so my fiancé is on birth control, and that got me thinking...

I've heard that you have to be very careful to take the pill every day at the same time. How critical is that? Is being off by one hour a big deal? Two? How much of an additional risk of pregnancy does that pose?

Hypothetical situation:
Let's say that she forgets to take the pill in the morning, and takes it at lunch (or later) instead. Or what if she misses a day? Should we use condoms instead for a while? If so, how long will it take before we don't have to use condoms anymore?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

Tales610 HB User
Re: Timing and Birth Control

Hey! The doctors recommend that you take the pill the same time everyday! BUT I was on the pill for 4 yrs and me and my partner NEVER used other protection and I never had a problem! And I never took it at the same time everyday! I just made sure i got a pill in me atleast once a day and i never had a problem. As for missing a pill They just say to take the pill when you remember it and if its the next day you are technically covered and they just recommened that you use a back up but I wouldn't think of it as being much of a problem!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheWay
Ok, so my fiancé is on birth control, and that got me thinking...

I've heard that you have to be very careful to take the pill every day at the same time. How critical is that? Is being off by one hour a big deal? Two? How much of an additional risk of pregnancy does that pose?

Hypothetical situation:
Let's say that she forgets to take the pill in the morning, and takes it at lunch (or later) instead. Or what if she misses a day? Should we use condoms instead for a while? If so, how long will it take before we don't have to use condoms anymore?

Thanks!
I'd recommend looking at professional literature, such as that included with your fiance's pack of birth control pills, instead of rely solely on one woman's experiences.

While it's best to take the pill at the same time everyday, an hour or so isn't going to decrease effectiveness. If you read the package literature, it should ge more in depth about her specific pill. Many pill brands consider it safe if you miss an entire day or two, as long as you double up on pills the following day(s). Back-up contraception isn't necessary unless 2 or more days are missed in these brands.

Anyway, read the package insert that came with her pills. Some pills have different rules for what week in the package she's on.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
(female)

pugmom HB User

I have been on the pill for several years, and never once have I taken it at the same time for days in a row. I just make sure I get it at somepoint in the day. Heck I have even forgotten totally and have taken 2 pills at once...zero probs, and I don't use any other form of protection, just the pill. You don't have to be as anal about it as some may tell you. Be smart, and don't skip more than one day. Just double up the next day, but that's all. Even the package insert will tell you that.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
(female)

KSSS HB User

I think an hour or two doesn't really make a big deal. I have been on the pill for almost 2 years now and haven't really been taking them at the same time everyday. As long as she doesn't miss them entirely, you should be ok. There's been a time when I've missed a day and doubled up the next day. That time, we didn't use back up protection but everything was still fine. However, to reduce stressing out (which I did when I missed a day), you can use back up protection for 7 days after the missed pill or whatever it says on the literature with the pill.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Listen to GL Sheridan. One hour or so will not make a difference, but consistantly taking it at different times each day WILL. It won't make it totally useless by any stretch, but it will bring the efficiency down to they "typical" use efficiency, around 92-95%. When taken perfectly it's around 99.9% effective. That means that if you take it at different times each day, you have a 5-7/100 chance of getting pregnant, but if you take it the same time (within an hour or so) each day, you have just a 1/1000 chance of getting pregnant.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #7

ByTheWay HB User

Out of question, what "fails" on that 1/1000 chance? Obviously the hormones don't prevent the release of the egg, its fertilization, and implantation that one time -- do we know why?

Closed Thread