It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

bulldawg214 HB User
antibiotics

Does anyone know if taking antibiotics really affects your birth control? Specifically I'm using the Ortho Evra Patch and currently taking doxycyclin
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User
Re: antibiotics

I am taking Doxy as well. My doctor told me that he recently went down to Austin, TX and they did a study on the theory of the antibiotics and the birth control and the only one that affected the birth control was the one they use to treat tuberculosis. It starts with an R. I haven't had any problems but if you are too worried just use condoms or another form of back- up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: antibiotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl2005_21
I am taking Doxy as well. My doctor told me that he recently went down to Austin, TX and they did a study on the theory of the antibiotics and the birth control and the only one that affected the birth control was the one they use to treat tuberculosis. It starts with an R. I haven't had any problems but if you are too worried just use condoms or another form of back- up.

Rifampin is the antibiotic you mean.

Anyway, the birth control vs antibiotic debate has been around for years. There are no studies that show that antibiotics affect the pill, but the medical community advises women that they MIGHT as a precaution. Recent studies are indicating that using both medications doesn't result in decreased birth control effeciancy, but no PROOF has been published.

Doxycycline is one of the antibiotics that has a precaution. Whether or not to be cautious is up to you. If you choose to take the safe route, you only need to abstain/use a back up method for 7 days after taking the last doxycycline tablet.

Closed Thread