It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
(female)

mspufkin HB User
Unhappy Paragard IUD concern........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am considering getting the paragard IUD, but am really scared . There are so many stories of severe pain at time of insertion, and bad cramps and heavy bleeding.

My concern is what does the copper do to your body/uterus? It can't be natural to have all that copper in you. If I was done having kids, I wouldn't be so concerned. I have two and want more. But, I'm concerned about long term affects on the uterus. This is a fairly new form of IUD, so the medical world may not know of any long term negative effects yet.

Anyone have any input?

Last edited by mspufkin; 08-04-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:24 AM   #2
(female)

mickih HB User
Re: Pargard IUD concern...........

Don't know much about the paraguard IUD, but I just had the Mirena IUD inserted about 3 months ago, and I love it. It was not painful. I had ver little cramping afterwards. The only side effect is the light bleeding inbetween periods. This month I haven't even had a period. It's great.

{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 08-05-2005 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Read posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
(female)

jenn1v HB User

Hi,

I have the Pargard. Have had it since March of this year and i love it. I never gave birth so, the doctor thought it would be painful to have it put in. It only took about 5 mins to go in and i did have about 3 sharp pains during it. I did have some bad cramps for the first few days but it has gotten better. I haven't had longer periods or heavier bleeding.I'm not sure if that's my normal cycles or if i still have depo-provera in my system( my periods stopped while on depo). I think the copper is a very small amount so it shouldn't do any damage to your body. {removed} Good luck on what you choose to do.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 08-05-2005 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Read posting rules. NO websites.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hello,
I've had my Paragard now going on 5 months and I LOVE it. I have NOT had any children, and normally it's not recommended to women without children due to insertion being more painful and the uterus being smaller, but actually, it wasn't bad. I will admit that like jenn1v, I have a few sharp pains, but the insertion itself really didn't hurt too badly at all. Since you've had children (and I'm assuming have given birth vaginally?) it should be a piece of cake. I DID have terrible cramps for the first couple of days, yes, but they soon subsisded. My periods were also QUITE heavy for the first few months, but they have been lessening each subsequent period and are going back to what the normal amount of bleeding for me is. You know, I initially wondered about the amount of Copper going into your bloodstream, but I found out that it's only a VERY little amount. BUT, the Paragard is not recommended for women that have Wilson's Disease, which is a disease where the body doensn't process Copper correctly, and Copper toxicity occurs. I'm pretty sure the disease is rare and inherited, so I would think that you would know if you have it. I have a million other health problems such as a Chronic Fatigue-like illness and adrenal insufficiency, and it hasn't seemed to affect my health negatively at all. Also, in regards to the insertion, I'm only 21 years old, or at least I will be in a couple of months, and that would mean that my uterus is quite small, and my cervix has never dilated or been dilated, and insertion pain was minimal. I recall the feeling as almost feeling like a quick, sharp sting. MY ONE complaint is recurrent bacterial vaginosis. BUT, I've always had BV that keeps on coming back; I just have it more often with the IUD and it seems harder to get rid of. I'm trying more natural approaches to get rid of it, such as using lots of probiotics like acidophilus both orally and intervaginally. In regards to sex, it's great. You can't feel it, you don't know it's there, the string can't be felt, and changing positions or anything like that does not cause pain. Good luck in whatever you decide, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
~Katalina

Old 08-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Oh, I just wanted to add that in my personal opinion, hormonol birth control is much more bothersome and unhealthy. Combination bc pills deplete vitamins in your body, and taking hormones throws off your natural hormone levels, and I can't see how that can be healthy. Everyone thinks that just because someone has slightly irregular cycles that they automatically NEED to be "regulated" using bc pills. What does everyone's cycle have to be the same? I can see if you weren't getting a period at all or were experiencing severe bleeding, but some just have longer or shorter cycles, and many women "grow out" of that. Both my mom and I and my aunt all had VERY long cycles, but eventually, as we got older, our cycles became shorter. BC pills also affect the body in that they provide a better environment for yeast to grow, and many women develop Candidiasis, both vaginally and/or in the rest of their body. The copper IUD has it's downfalls as well, but I can't see throwing off one's natural menstural cycle patterns unless there is a very good reason for it. But, again, it's a personal choice.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

hself HB User

Hello Girls! I am two weeks into having a paragard IUD. So far, so good. I thought the procedure itself was extremely painful. I too, have never had children so my cervix had to be dialated to fit in the IUD. ouch! Afterwards, I had severe cramping and bleeding that would come and go for a week. Then, magically, on day eight I quit bleeding and cramping. However, I feel it is all worth it. I am a young professional and have made a proactive choice to be in total control of my reproduction. I am so excited about it that I have been telling every woman about that I come in contact with. Good luck to everyone out there!

Old 08-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi hself,

That's awesome that the Paragard is working out for you! My cramping also just magically stopped one day, as well. The entire first month I could feel it "adjusting" and shifting position in my body, but that stopped, as well, and everything is fine. I DO keep getting bacterial vaginosis, BUT I had recurrent BV before I got the IUD. I, too, think it's a great choice, and I love how it doesn't affect sexual intercourse OR libido in any way.
~Katalina

Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Re: Paragard IUD concern........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspufkin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My concern is what does the copper do to your body/uterus? It can't be natural to have all that copper in you. If I was done having kids, I wouldn't be so concerned. I have two and want more. But, I'm concerned about long term affects on the uterus. This is a fairly new form of IUD, so the medical world may not know of any long term negative effects yet.

Anyone have any input?
Experiments with adding copper to IUDs were carried out in the late 1960s. By 1973, the first copper bearing IUDs were out on the market, but they were only good for about 2-3 years. In the later 1970s, IUDs with longer useful lives and greater efficacy against unintended pregnancy were produced by adding more copper to the IUD. I gather you write from the US, as the copper bearing IUDs did not catch on very well in this part of the world.

IUDs in the form of stainless steel or bronze rings were used for contraception as early as 1902. There is a lot more published information about IUDs now than there has ever been, good luck.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #9
(female)

hself HB User

Ok. I'm back. First period since I had my iud inserted.............thought I was going to bleed to death! First of all, I started a week earlier than usual and along with the bleeding the severe cramping was back. I've done a lot of research on the web that says you will have heavy bleeding but I had no idea! At one point I thought I should go to the ER. Ibuprofen and super plus absorbency tampons are my new best friends! I'm now on day 7 of my period and still flowing like it's the first. WOW! Any words of wisdom/experience for me???

Old 08-27-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
(female)

jenn1v HB User

Hi,

I would still give it some time. Your body needs to adjust to the IUD and if you were on another form of BC before, it might still be in your system. If you are feeling very tired or faintish then i would suggest seeing the doctor. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I bled like that, too, and was astounded that I could bleed that much without dying, but with each month, the bleeding got lighter and lighter and the cramping lessened. I still bleed more than I did before I got the IUD, but it's practically back to normal. I think I'm on month 7 or 8 of the Paragard, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to stick it out at first, either, but it did get better for me, and all I can say is that it will probably get better for you, too. It takes your body a long time to adjust....but I feel like it's worth it! I can't get pregnant, I can't feel the IUD, and I can have great sex because it doesn't screw up my libido or hormone levels! Just make sure to eat lots of iron-containing foods, take vitamin c to help the iron get absorbed, and make sure you get your b vitamins, too.
~Katalina

Old 10-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

I have had mine for 5 years! I love it!! No pain at all. Periods are a little heavier and I do have cramps now. I didn't have cramps before. If your body is gonna reject it, it will be in the first couple months. My pap smears hurt worse than having this put in. I have had 2 children. It is a really good option compared to having your tubes tied. I am not good with taking pills. I just couldn't remember to take the darn things. With this, there is nothing to remember!

Plus, there isn't any form of chemical going through your body. No hormones or anything like that. I love that. It just doesn't seem right to have some chemical being put into your body. Most forms of birth control has some sort of chemical being released in your body. No thanks!!

Anyway, I love it!! It can't hurt to try it! Plus, when you go to have your check up after delivery, they can put it in right then and there. Takes only a couple minutes!

Closed Thread