It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

SayMoo HB User
Lightbulb passive smoking and the pill!

I go out to night clubs occasionally (say twice a week)...usually these night clubs are packed with smokers..im wondering would passive smoking twice a week to once a month for say 2-3 hours influence a woman on the pill?

Old 08-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User
Re: passive smoking and the pill!

My neurologist advised me to avoid second hand smoke since I am at an increased risk of stroke due to having migraines and taking the pill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SayMoo HB User

I guess so.. im thinking if im around it once a month for 2-3 hours it shouldnt be that bad..I dunno..

Old 08-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayMoo
I go out to night clubs occasionally (say twice a week)...usually these night clubs are packed with smokers..im wondering would passive smoking twice a week to once a month for say 2-3 hours influence a woman on the pill?

I've never thought of second-hand smoke as a risk with bc pills, but I suppose it could be. Now that you've started this thread, I'm curious about it as well. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say. I like to go to clubs, too.

Last edited by kittywitty; 08-06-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, I decided to resurrect this thread as I've been having some concern lately about it. I clean my best friend's house (her mother's house really, but that's another board) every two weeks. She, her husband, and her mother all smoke ALOT. When I go there to clean, I'm usually there for at least 8 hrs. because the house is often very dirty, plus I carpet clean every time (they have dogs). I'm on Ovcon-35 and was wondering if being around all that second-hand smoke is something I should be concerned about. I haven't asked my gyno about this yet, but I'm going to. I just wanted to get some peoples' thoughts on here about it, too. Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-19-2006 at 09:05 PM.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
(female)

BoardBabe HB User

I started the pill a few months ago. My boyfriend smokes more than a pack/day and on weekends we spend the whole time together indoors at his apartment.

Ever since starting the pill, my issues in addition to gaining weight and not feeling sexy around him, have been my concern about his second hand smoke. I am (or was ) petite, so smoke, pills, everything effects me more than a larger person. He smokes and smokes, and now that I am on the pill, it totally bothers me and I'm scared I am jeapordizing my health even moreso.

So basically I have been making excuses not to spend as much time with him (he's been smoking alll his life and that's something he will not quit so I don't even want to cause problems by asking him to) on top of not wanting to have sex. I know the smoke will make me have a stroke or heart attack very prematurely. I already experience bluriness with my vision, sometimes chest pain and my legs feel hurt oftentimes, a lot of the "serious" side effects listed.

All I need on top of this is smoke, right!!?

Old 01-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I get a slight pain in my calf lately, so that's why I brought up this topic again. I'm wondering if it's related to the second-hand smoke that I'm exposed to. Hopefully, it's not related in your case or mine. My friend, her husband, and her mother all smoke at least a pack a day I think. I'm gonna call my gyno on Monday and see what they say and I'll report back what they said. I know how you feel about the weight gain thing. I used to be overweight and I was really self-conscious. Do you think it could be the pill that's causing you to gain? Increased appetite since starting it? Just a thought.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
(female)

BoardBabe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty
Do you think it could be the pill that's causing you to gain? Increased appetite since starting it? Just a thought.
Oh yes, most definitely. I have posted it in my other posts about my frustration DUE TO THE PILL that has resulted in massive weight gain for me, at least 17 pounds in a 3 month period. This is causing huge self esteem problems and I just hate how my body looks, especially since I am short and the weight gain is too much in such a short period of time. I feel hungry nonstop regardless of how much I eat. It is terrible, and the brand I take is supposed to be low dosage of hormones so it wouldn't make sense to switch to something else...

Closed Thread