It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

Has Questions HB User
Question please HELP with birth control

I just typed this really long post, and then I lost the whole thing. God that makes me mad...... I'll probably make this one shorter.

Last night I lost my birth control pack, and it brought a lot of questions to my mind.

I could have gone right away and got another prescription filled for Yasmin, and just kept on taking them like normal, but it costs me $25 under insurance, and I really didn't want to do this. I had only taken about 5 pills from the last pack, and it seemed like I would be wasting my money. First question:

1. Is there anything else you can do when you lose your BC besides go and buy more? Can I get birth control at Planned Parenthood or something?

About a week ago, I went to the doctor and asked to get a generic brand of birth control prescribed so that it would be cheaper under insurance. She prescribed me Nordette. I haven't filled the prescription yet, but I still have it.

When she gave me the prescription... I wasn't thinking. Because I do have sex, but the whole reason I started taking birth control is because I had mild acne and my dermatologist told me to go to the doctor and get birth control prescribed because it would help. The dermatologist said get either Yasmin or Ortho-Tricyclen. And I don't know if Nordette will do the same thing or me that Yasmin does. My acne has been totally gone since I started, so I don't want to ruin it.

I went to {removed} , and it says that the generic name of Yasmin is drospirenone or eithnyl estradiol.

2. Does that mean you can get a generic brand of Yasmin prescribed? If you can, does that mean Yasmin and the generic brand have the same things in them? Could you use them interchangeably? I'm wondering, because when I lost my pills last night, I wanted to keep going where I left off, but with a different kind of birth control, but I didn't think you could do that, am I right?

My main concerns are getting birth control for cheaper, if possible, and staying with a birth control that will help my skin.

Also, when I went to the dermatologist, and she told me to go the dr. and get birth control prescribed... she said either Yasmin or Ortho-Tricyclen.

3. What is it about these 2 that are good for the acne? Or is there really no reason she said either of these 2?

4. Yasmin has "drsp". I really don't know what this means? Does it have anything to do with helping the acne?

If anyone has taken the time to read this post, I would greatly appreciate your advice regarding my 4 main questions... but any other information you would like to share with my about birth control would be helpful because I really don't know anything about this stuff, and it just confuses me. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 08-07-2005 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Read posting rules.No websites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User
Re: please HELP with birth control

There is no generic for Yasmin.

You should go immediatly and get another pack of pills to maintain efficiency. If you want to switch, you can, but be sure to take the ENTIRE pack.

My advice would be to go and buy a new pack of Yasmin ($25 is cheaper then a baby or abortion!) and finish off the month, and then switch to Nordette if you wish.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

Has Questions HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisies4monkeys
There is no generic for Yasmin.

You should go immediatly and get another pack of pills to maintain efficiency. If you want to switch, you can, but be sure to take the ENTIRE pack.

My advice would be to go and buy a new pack of Yasmin ($25 is cheaper then a baby or abortion!) and finish off the month, and then switch to Nordette if you wish.
So you're saying I could switch birth control pill brands in the middle of the pack, as long as I take the entire pack of the new one? Then I won't get my period until the new pack is completely finished right?

I would switch to Nordette, but I don't know if it will keep my skin looking good thoug. Maybe I could ask my doctor which generic brand is the closest to Yasmin?

Thanks

Anyone else have any information??????

Old 08-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

Has Questions HB User

Does anyone know if you can switch birth controls in the middle of a pack if you completely finish the second pack? Or do you always have to wait until your next period?

Also, anyone know what's so special about drsp? and... if there's other birth controls that will help with acne? thanx.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Finish the entire pack of Nordette.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

Has Questions HB User

Quote:
Finish the entire pack of Nordette.
Thanks for your replies, but I don't think you're answering my question? Can you stop taking one type of birth control in the middle of the pack and start another as long as you finish the entire second pack? If you do this, is the birth control still effective.... or do you have to wait like a week after starting to take the new kind for it to be effective?

Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Yes, you can stop in the middle of one pack. So long as you start the new birth control right away (no break in between), you should be fully protected. However, you might experience spotting or breakthrough bleeding.

Ideally yes, you should wait until the end of one pack of birth control before switching, but given your situation, I'd say to just either get another pack of Yasmin and finish it, or else get the Nordette and start that right away. Whatever you do, time is running out. If you've missed two or more pills in a row by this point, then whenever you get the pack of pills, be it Yasmin or Nordette, take ALL 21 pills, and use back up for seven days, as missing two or more pills in a row greatly lowers the effectiveness of the pill.

If you've already gotten a new pack of Yasmin, and are taking that, then I'd recommend finishing that pack and THEN starting the Nordette.

Again, the longer you leave getting a new pack, the worse it is, and the more messed up your cycle will be.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #8
(female)

Has Questions HB User

Quote:
Yes, you can stop in the middle of one pack. So long as you start the new birth control right away (no break in between), you should be fully protected. However, you might experience spotting or breakthrough bleeding.

Ideally yes, you should wait until the end of one pack of birth control before switching, but given your situation, I'd say to just either get another pack of Yasmin and finish it, or else get the Nordette and start that right away. Whatever you do, time is running out. If you've missed two or more pills in a row by this point, then whenever you get the pack of pills, be it Yasmin or Nordette, take ALL 21 pills, and use back up for seven days, as missing two or more pills in a row greatly lowers the effectiveness of the pill.

If you've already gotten a new pack of Yasmin, and are taking that, then I'd recommend finishing that pack and THEN starting the Nordette.

Again, the longer you leave getting a new pack, the worse it is, and the more messed up your cycle will be.
Thanks! I had only missed 1 pill during this whole mess.. then I double up the next day cuz I got a new pack of Yasmin. I was just wondering about switching birth controls for future use, if I ever had to. I don't think I will take Nordette unless my doc. says that will help with skin too.... I have yet to find out.

With my new pack of Yasmin... I just started the pack where I left off from the last pack. (I had only taken a week's worth of pills in the pack I lost)... so now I just have an extra week of Yasmin.. maybe I'll hang onto it for a while JUST INCASE I lose them again, which I doubt I will! It's not like to me to even lose them the first time.

Thanx!

Closed Thread