It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #1
(female)

pushit HB User
Hormonal breakouts

I'm thinking about going on a low dose of bcp to help hormonal breakouts. My dermatologist recommended Yasmin. I'm a little reluctant to go on the pill due to the side effects (weight gain, mood swings, etc). If you take Yasmin, did it help your skin? And how bad were the side effects? If not Yasmin, can anyone recommend another bcp that's helped with breakouts? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Hormonal breakouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushit
I'm thinking about going on a low dose of bcp to help hormonal breakouts. My dermatologist recommended Yasmin. I'm a little reluctant to go on the pill due to the side effects (weight gain, mood swings, etc). If you take Yasmin, did it help your skin? And how bad were the side effects? If not Yasmin, can anyone recommend another bcp that's helped with breakouts? Thanks.
Yasmin has the same side effects as every other pill. It isn't more or less likely to cause side effects than another brand. Different hormones react differently in each woman.

Many women have had success with Yasmin, and many have had problems. The task is finding the pill that's right for you, not right for everyone else.

As for other pills, pretty much any pill can be used to treat acne, although Ortho Tri-Cyclen is the ONLY pill FDA approved for the treatment of acne.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

cremebrulee HB User

My dermatologist also suggested Yasmin. She prescribed minocycline to get rid of the acne and the Yasmin is helping to maintain it. I saw better results with the minocycline than with Yasmin. However the side effects of minocycline were unbearable. I was not able to finish the three-month prescription.

I think Yasmin is the best bcp. I have absolutely not side effects at all. No mood swings. No weight gain. If anything I feel skinier because it acts as a diuretic and I have less of an appetite. I heard that Diane-35 was the best bcp for acne so I switched. It is not available in the US so I ordered it online. It was not bad but I ended up switching back to Yasmin.

I've also tried Ortho-tricyclen. It didn't do much to clear up my skin. I hated it.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
(female)

pushit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee
My dermatologist also suggested Yasmin. She prescribed minocycline to get rid of the acne and the Yasmin is helping to maintain it. I saw better results with the minocycline than with Yasmin. However the side effects of minocycline were unbearable. I was not able to finish the three-month prescription.

I think Yasmin is the best bcp. I have absolutely not side effects at all. No mood swings. No weight gain. If anything I feel skinier because it acts as a diuretic and I have less of an appetite. I heard that Diane-35 was the best bcp for acne so I switched. It is not available in the US so I ordered it online. It was not bad but I ended up switching back to Yasmin.

I've also tried Ortho-tricyclen. It didn't do much to clear up my skin. I hated it.

Hey, thanks for the info. I also used minocycline, which worked, but also stopped due to the side effects (made my teeth look yellow while I was on it). I've also tried erythromycin and literally felt sick to my stomach and would pass out after taking it, so I quit that. I recently started using Differin gel and have been taking doxycyline. Hopefully it'll keep my skin clear. Maybe I'll give Yasmin a shot. I've heard several horror stories about people breaking out in cysts from Ortho-tricyclen, so I'll definitely be avoiding that one!

Old 08-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Let me tell you my story. I was on Alesse from the time I was 17 till 20. I decided to take a break from it so I could lose some weight. Big mistake! I had clear skin all my life but then I started breaking out all over my face. I decided to get back on the pill so I tried OTC lo and that was terrible! I stuck it out for about 2-3 months and it made my face worse! So I went to the derm. and he told me to try Yasmin, Doxycycline 100mg once a day, and Differin at night. I have been on all of those for about 4 months now and my acne is gone! I think I had acne from hormonal problems all along but the Alesse always supressed it. Then when I got off my skin went nuts! Yeah the Doxy will make you feel sick if you don't take it after a meal but I don't have a weak stomach so I can handle about anything.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

pushit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl2005_21
Let me tell you my story. I was on Alesse from the time I was 17 till 20. I decided to take a break from it so I could lose some weight. Big mistake! I had clear skin all my life but then I started breaking out all over my face. I decided to get back on the pill so I tried OTC lo and that was terrible! I stuck it out for about 2-3 months and it made my face worse! So I went to the derm. and he told me to try Yasmin, Doxycycline 100mg once a day, and Differin at night. I have been on all of those for about 4 months now and my acne is gone! I think I had acne from hormonal problems all along but the Alesse always supressed it. Then when I got off my skin went nuts! Yeah the Doxy will make you feel sick if you don't take it after a meal but I don't have a weak stomach so I can handle about anything.
Thanks! Hey, did the Differin make you purge at all? Also, which cleanser do you use?

Old 08-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Divation HB User

Babygirl...

I'm wondering...I have a dermotologist appt. on Monday and I'm pretty sure she's gonig to want to put me on Doxycycline or Minocycline but I'm on the birth control pill Seasonale. But doesn't those, or any, antibiotics affect the birth control pills effectiveness? Does it yours? Because although having acne sucks, having a child at this point in time would be alot worse.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Diva- Well I have taken antibiotics along with the pill several times while I have been on it. At first I was careful and used the condoms and everything but then when my derm. put me on Doxy I asked him if I should be using condoms as well and he told me that he recently went down to Austin, Tx. with some gynocologists and they did a study with different antibiotics and the pill and the only one that interfered was Rifampin(spelling is wrong) and it is used to treat tuberculosis. So I haven't been using back- up protection and everything is fine. I think that doctors and pharmacists just tell you these things about antibiotics to save their a** in case something happens. But if you want to be extra safe just use condoms.

pushit- Yeah the Differin does bring everything to the surface at once. It lasts for about a month and a half but then when it is over you will have clear skin. I just had alot of whiteheads at once but now my skin is healing and looking great!

Old 08-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Divation HB User

Okay, cool. Thanks

Closed Thread