It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
why do they become pregnant?

whats the reasons that women on BC still become pregnant? if it's 99% effective..whats that 1% that causes women on BC to become pregnant? Is it true that BC sometimes just doesnt work for certain women, if so WHY? This scares me. I feel like i can't rely on my BC and i dont want it to be that way. im on [ortho tri cyclen lo] and i especially feel like i cant rely on Lo because i hear that a lot of women have gotten pregno on that brand but i cant switch brands right now. this is my first time on BC and my first pack and im scared my period isnt going to come. i just dont want to feel this way.

Last edited by Longview; 08-11-2005 at 06:39 AM.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: why do they become pregnant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview
whats the reasons that women on BC still become pregnant? if it's 99% effective..whats that 1% that causes women on BC to become pregnant? Is it true that BC sometimes just doesnt work for certain women, if so WHY? This scares me. I feel like i can't rely on my BC and i dont want it to be that way. im on [ortho tri cyclen lo] and i especially feel like i cant rely on Lo because i hear that a lot of women have gotten pregno on that brand but i cant switch brands right now. this is my first time on BC and my first pack and im scared my period isnt going to come. i just dont want to feel this way.

Most women who get pregnant on the pill AREN'T part of that .1% failure rate. They're part of the 10-15% failure rate that can result from taking the pill incorrectly.

As for the women who do take it correctly and still get pregnant, who knows why. Nothing is 100% effective. Sometimes ovulation accidentally occurs, and implantation happens after fertilization. It's just rare odds.

Every brand of birth control, including Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has 99.9% protection against pregnancy. If you're that worried about it though, ask for regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen. The change in hormones is minimal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Thank you for your reply.
It just seems like more and more women are getting pregnant who are on the pill. I take mine correctly, but there still is this part of me that feels like i havent took it correctly.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.
It just seems like more and more women are getting pregnant who are on the pill. I take mine correctly, but there still is this part of me that feels like i havent took it correctly.

If you take the pill at the same time everyday, don't vomit within a short time after taking the pill, aren't using any drugs that interfere with the pill, and are within the weight guidelines, you're using the pill perfectly.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

I agree the reason most women end up pregnant on the pill is because they are not taking it the right way, i have been on 3 different pills over the course of 5 years and havent had one pregnancy scare! <knocks on wood>.

granted I dont take mine at the same time everyday and stuff like that I try to keep it within a couple of hours of when I would usually take it. And if I miss/forget one, as soon as I remember I take the late one and the one for the current day.

Look at it this way, it's just another form of 'protection' yeah it's not 100% but neither is using a condom. Your only sure way of not getting pregnant is to avoid sex. You just have to be careful...

Old 08-11-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

ok thank you.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
(female)

Skylar333 HB User

I was on ortho trycyclen lo also. I got pregnant on that pill. I was on different pills before that but got to moody and way to depressed so I switched. I am now 20 weeks pregnant from tycyclen. But I think the reason I got pregnant is because I technically missed a pill. I had eaten something that made me sick and threw up after I took the pill. So if taken everyday at the same time then the pill is probably relatively effective. Although I think 1% failure rate is to low.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

see this is what i mean. everywhere i turn there is a horror story about becoming pregnant from ortho tri cyclen lo..ahh..has anyone gotten pregnant on a different brand of BC? could it honestly be from the lower amount of hormones in lo? now im seriously thinking about switching brands. any suggestions.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
see this is what i mean. everywhere i turn there is a horror story about becoming pregnant from ortho tri cyclen lo..ahh..has anyone gotten pregnant on a different brand of BC? could it honestly be from the lower amount of hormones in lo? now im seriously thinking about switching brands. any suggestions.

Again, Longview, don't worry. This woman wasn't taking the pill perfectly. Any pill that you don't take perfectly will increase your chances of pregnancy.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #10

jriegel HB User

the pill is not 100% effective, as several people have said. the only thing 100% effective is abstinence. a birth control pill works to suppress ovulation, or your entire cycle, like seasonal. it doesn't always prevent pregnancy because (1) human error, like others have said, someone not taking it correctly, but even for women who do take it correctly (i personally have three friends who have all gotten pregnant on BCP, and to the best of my knowledge they were taking it correctly, as they did not want children at that time and were being diligent in avoiding pregnancy) (2) sometimes the pill doesn't always suppress ovulation. every woman's body is different. a BCP will affect every woman's body similarly but differently and can't be guaranteed to be 100% effective. There's really no way to know if it's working how it's supposed to work for you unless you take it "perfectly" and either do or don't get pregnant.

of course there are always other methods of birth control like barrier methods (condoms, etc.) that can help decrease the likelihood of getting pregnant, but some where someone has a story about being on BCP and using condoms and still getting pregnant.

if you don't want to get pregnant and just can't manage to trust a form of BCP you're using, then don't have sex. that's the only sure-fire, 100% effective way to not get pregnant.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I got pregnant on ortho tri cyclen (not lo though). I missed my pill by 12 hours and the condom broke. My DD really wanted to be here =)

NOTHING is 100% except abstinence. I really think anyone who is not ready to be a parent is not ready for sex. DH and I still use forms of BC, but we know we are taking that chance everytime we have sex. And we know it wouldn't be a horrible thing to get pregnant, if it was we wouldn't do it.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:31 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Everyone is right the only 100% way to avoid pregnancy is abstinence. I have taken the pill for 4 years now and have never had a problem. Another reason the pill may fail is if you are overweight by the weight guidelines. I think someone else mentioned that but I thought I would mention it again. I used to worry myself sick when I very first got on the pill because I thought I would still get pregnant. But after awhile the thought went away because month after month I got my period. And now I don't hardly ever think about it. But I have always been very good about taking it correctly. If you are worried about the lo not being strong enough then get on the regular OTC. I am on Yasmin right now and I love it.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Thanks for both of your responses. I guess im just going to have to wait and see if my period comes. Its suppose to on your 2 or 3rd placebo pill right?

Old 08-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

If your worried about taking pills incorrectly there's always other options like the patch.

And yes I did get pregnant on the pill...but I was and always have been on the mini pill because I cannot tolerate extra estorgen....My doctor gave me the warnings of it before I went on it...still I played the roulette....

Last edited by Dakota; 08-12-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

That's when mine always came. The third day without a pill. (I took 21 instead of 28)

I'd also just like to mention that I'm not overweight, or took any medications to effect the pill...I did miss it buy 1/2 a day though.

Closed Thread