HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Birth Control (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/)
-   -   Considering going off BCP after 20 years (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/315507-considering-going-off-bcp-after-20-years.html)

StenoLady1 08-16-2005 08:30 AM

Considering going off BCP after 20 years

Hi, All :wave:

I've been on the pill since I was 13, 20 years now. I've been on two different kinds, Ortho Tri something for a long time, then Levora for the past five years or so.

After my next period, do y'all think it's okay to just stop and not renew another package? What can I expect if I do?

I'm a smoker (planning on quitting 9/13), have a sedentary job, so I know the risks are up there for me. My libido is just completely gone. My gyno is not a good one, and I'm in the market for a new one. I've talked to him about the libido thing, and he just tells me all women feel this way after getting married, that I should just get through sex the best I can. Plus, he makes me bleed (enough to where I always need a pad for a few days) after every pap.

Anyway, getting off track here a little, but I'd rather not rush to my lovely (insert sarcasm) doc over this. Just wondering if anyone else out there quit after being on them so long. I know not to quit in the middle of my cycle :nono:

L.

GLSheridan 08-16-2005 08:33 AM

Re: Considering going off BCP after 20 years

[QUOTE=StenoLady1]Hi, All :wave:

I've been on the pill since I was 13, 20 years now. I've been on two different kinds, Ortho Tri something for a long time, then Levora for the past five years or so.

After my next period, do y'all think it's okay to just stop and not renew another package? What can I expect if I do?

I'm a smoker (planning on quitting 9/13), have a sedentary job, so I know the risks are up there for me. My libido is just completely gone. My gyno is not a good one, and I'm in the market for a new one. I've talked to him about the libido thing, and he just tells me all women feel this way after getting married, that I should just get through sex the best I can. Plus, he makes me bleed (enough to where I always need a pad for a few days) after every pap.

Anyway, getting off track here a little, but I'd rather not rush to my lovely (insert sarcasm) doc over this. Just wondering if anyone else out there quit after being on them so long. I know not to quit in the middle of my cycle :nono:

L.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't on the pill for 20 years, but I was on it for several years, and I quit taking it about 6 months ago.

I just stopped after my last pack. Nothing "bad" happened. I didn't get any mood swings, acne, etc. Only problem I had was that my period was a little iregular the first couple of cycles, but now I'm 28 days like clockwork.

CindyRB 08-16-2005 09:09 AM

You need to find a new Doctor, I've never bled after a gyno visit, he's also not very understanding. I'm 45 and went off the pill a couple of years ago. I feel better than ever, and my libido came back. I was also on the pill for around 20 years. I had endometriosis (sp) and my Gyno wanted me to use BC pills again or go on Depo but I told him I had problems with the pill so he said as long as you are not having problems, don't take the pill. The endo was removed surgically and I haven't had any problems in a year. My period is a little heavier and longer though.

StenoLady1 08-16-2005 09:15 AM

Thanks for posting, Cindy

Yes, I will find a new doctor. Since I only saw him once a year and never had any troubles, it was pretty easy to just keep going to the same guy. Last year he made the comment about libido, and I was pretty ticked. He's also said some off-color remarks about me not wanting to have children.

This is the only doc that's ever made me bleed after a pap, too. He's very rough, and I think he goes crazy with the little mascara wand thingy to get some cells.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. I hope I adjust okay. If not, I'm sure I will have found a new doc by then.

L.

StenoLady1 08-16-2005 09:17 AM

Hi, Gl :)

Thanks for your reply. I've never not known when my period is coming, so I will prepare for some potential irregularity.

Thanks for your feedback & have a great day!

L.

bordrgrl 08-17-2005 04:53 PM

Check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you want to predict your periods off the pill!

brandy76 08-19-2005 07:58 AM

Hi there,
I just quit the pill last month and my period was only 1 day off schedule. However the cramps & bleeding were more intense this month - it felt weird having to take a pain reliever since on the pill I never had to.

My last few months on the pill I started getting acne, now that i'm off, my skin has cleared up, my sex drive came back immediately :bouncing:. However the bloating hasn't gone down yet, I guess my body has to take time from the hormones.

Just in case my acne flares up I have a perscription for Dynacin (pills) from my dermatologist.

The only downside is having sex again requires so much pre-planning either with the condom (which my boyfriend HATES) or with using the vaginal contraceptive film (VCF), but I'm sure we'll get used to this.

bfcf88 08-19-2005 04:28 PM

I know what you mean, I was diagnosed with colon cancer last year at the age of 34, and I am a smoker. So my husband is having a vacectomy Thursday, and I am going off the pill in a few months. I'm really anxious to see if my sex drive comes back. I told my doctor about the low sex drive and he tried to tell me I was depressed. What an idiot. He put me on Leapro for depression and a month later I found out about the cancer. I'm done with my chemo and surgeries now and I really want to move on from the pill and get my life back. Wish me luck!! :bouncing: