It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Considering going off BCP after 20 years

Hi, All

I've been on the pill since I was 13, 20 years now. I've been on two different kinds, Ortho Tri something for a long time, then Levora for the past five years or so.

After my next period, do y'all think it's okay to just stop and not renew another package? What can I expect if I do?

I'm a smoker (planning on quitting 9/13), have a sedentary job, so I know the risks are up there for me. My libido is just completely gone. My gyno is not a good one, and I'm in the market for a new one. I've talked to him about the libido thing, and he just tells me all women feel this way after getting married, that I should just get through sex the best I can. Plus, he makes me bleed (enough to where I always need a pad for a few days) after every pap.

Anyway, getting off track here a little, but I'd rather not rush to my lovely (insert sarcasm) doc over this. Just wondering if anyone else out there quit after being on them so long. I know not to quit in the middle of my cycle

L.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Considering going off BCP after 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1
Hi, All

I've been on the pill since I was 13, 20 years now. I've been on two different kinds, Ortho Tri something for a long time, then Levora for the past five years or so.

After my next period, do y'all think it's okay to just stop and not renew another package? What can I expect if I do?

I'm a smoker (planning on quitting 9/13), have a sedentary job, so I know the risks are up there for me. My libido is just completely gone. My gyno is not a good one, and I'm in the market for a new one. I've talked to him about the libido thing, and he just tells me all women feel this way after getting married, that I should just get through sex the best I can. Plus, he makes me bleed (enough to where I always need a pad for a few days) after every pap.

Anyway, getting off track here a little, but I'd rather not rush to my lovely (insert sarcasm) doc over this. Just wondering if anyone else out there quit after being on them so long. I know not to quit in the middle of my cycle

L.
I wasn't on the pill for 20 years, but I was on it for several years, and I quit taking it about 6 months ago.

I just stopped after my last pack. Nothing "bad" happened. I didn't get any mood swings, acne, etc. Only problem I had was that my period was a little iregular the first couple of cycles, but now I'm 28 days like clockwork.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
(female)

CindyRB HB User

You need to find a new Doctor, I've never bled after a gyno visit, he's also not very understanding. I'm 45 and went off the pill a couple of years ago. I feel better than ever, and my libido came back. I was also on the pill for around 20 years. I had endometriosis (sp) and my Gyno wanted me to use BC pills again or go on Depo but I told him I had problems with the pill so he said as long as you are not having problems, don't take the pill. The endo was removed surgically and I haven't had any problems in a year. My period is a little heavier and longer though.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for posting, Cindy

Yes, I will find a new doctor. Since I only saw him once a year and never had any troubles, it was pretty easy to just keep going to the same guy. Last year he made the comment about libido, and I was pretty ticked. He's also said some off-color remarks about me not wanting to have children.

This is the only doc that's ever made me bleed after a pap, too. He's very rough, and I think he goes crazy with the little mascara wand thingy to get some cells.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. I hope I adjust okay. If not, I'm sure I will have found a new doc by then.

L.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Gl

Thanks for your reply. I've never not known when my period is coming, so I will prepare for some potential irregularity.

Thanks for your feedback & have a great day!

L.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you want to predict your periods off the pill!

Old 08-19-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
(female)

brandy76 HB User

Hi there,
I just quit the pill last month and my period was only 1 day off schedule. However the cramps & bleeding were more intense this month - it felt weird having to take a pain reliever since on the pill I never had to.

My last few months on the pill I started getting acne, now that i'm off, my skin has cleared up, my sex drive came back immediately . However the bloating hasn't gone down yet, I guess my body has to take time from the hormones.

Just in case my acne flares up I have a perscription for Dynacin (pills) from my dermatologist.

The only downside is having sex again requires so much pre-planning either with the condom (which my boyfriend HATES) or with using the vaginal contraceptive film (VCF), but I'm sure we'll get used to this.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

bfcf88 HB User

I know what you mean, I was diagnosed with colon cancer last year at the age of 34, and I am a smoker. So my husband is having a vacectomy Thursday, and I am going off the pill in a few months. I'm really anxious to see if my sex drive comes back. I told my doctor about the low sex drive and he tried to tell me I was depressed. What an idiot. He put me on Leapro for depression and a month later I found out about the cancer. I'm done with my chemo and surgeries now and I really want to move on from the pill and get my life back. Wish me luck!!

Closed Thread