It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
a little confused

Im a newbie to BC..I started my period on July 23rd {Saturday} i couldnt start taking my pill the next day{sunday 24th} because i was at camp and didnt have them...so i started it on the next sunday after that {July 31st}.well yesterday was 28 days for my next period to start {as i counted on the calendar this morning}..but i still have one more dark blue pill to take tonight then i start my placebo pills..but that means i won't be starting my period till 30 or 31 days, possibly 32??

did i i mess up on how i was suppose to start taking it since i had to skip that sunday while i was at camp? or will i be okay?

Old 08-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: a little confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview
Im a newbie to BC..I started my period on July 23rd {Saturday} i couldnt start taking my pill the next day{sunday 24th} because i was at camp and didnt have them...so i started it on the next sunday after that {July 31st}.well yesterday was 28 days for my next period to start {as i counted on the calendar this morning}..but i still have one more dark blue pill to take tonight then i start my placebo pills..but that means i won't be starting my period till 30 or 31 days, possibly 32??

did i i mess up on how i was suppose to start taking it since i had to skip that sunday while i was at camp? or will i be okay?
Birth control is supposed to be started sometime during your period as this is when the hormone levels are at their lowest. By starting the pill a week later, you're more likely to experience some irregularity. It's not "bad" perse, just not recommended.

Most women start their periods 2-4 days into the inactive/placebo tablets.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Your cycle is different on the pills. The day you started taking them became "Day one" of your cycle.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

You did mess up the start of your pills, but hopefully it will turn out to be nothing significant. At worst, you started 2 days past when you should have but what are the chances you got pregnant during those first days? Were you sexually active and unprotected?

Anyway, it should sort itself out this period, and you just just continue to take them as you have.

And btw, the first day of your period is always Day One, regardless of whether you are on the pill or not. A doctor will always ask about your cycle in reference to when your period started, not when you take your pills...

Old 08-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby
At worst, you started 2 days past when you should have but what are the chances you got pregnant during those first days? Were you sexually active and unprotected?

No i was not..i was using condoms up until my first time with no condom which was 8 days AFTER i started taking the pill [i started on the 31st of july..had sex w/ no condom Aug 7th.}..im on ortho tri cyclen lo by the way, so according to the package insert information i was protected by then..so should i be fine then when it comes to pregnancy? ..and also..should i expect my period to be a little late then since i messed up? ahh im sort of confused as to when i will start now.

My friend who is on the same pill, thinks ill start sometime tomorrow or monday since i start my first placebo pill tonight and im already past 28 days..so she thinks i will in the next few days since my body is just waiting for an inactive pill..does this sound true?

Last edited by Longview; 08-21-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

cremebrulee HB User

you bleed when there is a drop in hormone levels. so you should start your period a few days after you finish the active pills (for me my period begins three days into the inactive pills).

you can pretty much begin birth control pills any day. if i have been off bc pills for a while, i like to wait until after i start my period. you also do not need to be a sunday start. the instructions says you can either be a day 1 or a sunday start. i like to start my pills on thursday that way my period will begin on the sunday after my last active pill and will end by the weekend.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee
you can pretty much begin birth control pills any day.
Okay. But it would be pretty foolish to start them after you have ovulated for that cycle, wouldn't you say? Especially if you're sexually active. Granged, you can, but it's not advised. Most pills suggest a day 1 start, a day 5 start, or a Sunday start so anything within the first 6 days is good, but randomly picking any day isn't usually an option if you want proper protection that month.

Anyway Longview, I'm sure you will be fine then.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Thanks, but nothing else to add? =)

Last edited by Longview; 08-21-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Quote:
Okay. But it would be pretty foolish to start them after you have ovulated for that cycle, wouldn't you say? Especially if you're sexually active. Granged, you can, but it's not advised. Most pills suggest a day 1 start, a day 5 start, or a Sunday start so anything within the first 6 days is good, but randomly picking any day isn't usually an option if you want proper protection that month.

Not really, I mean, the egg is only viable a very short time, and when starting the pill for the first time, and starting on any day other then the first day of your period, you need back-up for seven days. After that you are fully protected. It doesn't matter if you have already ovulated. If you wait seven days before having sex with only the pill as protection, you are fully protected.

Randomly picking a day will NOT adversly effect the protection for that month if the patient abstains from sex or uses extra protection such as condoms for the first seven days of pill use. The only draw back to starting later then a week after one's period began is a SLIGHTLY increased risk of spotting or breakthrough bleeding, but that is a pretty common side effect the first month of pill use anyhow.

Longview: Read my reply to your other post. It explains in detail what happens to your cycle on the pill. You will bleed during the placebos, not before -- it doesn't matter when you would "normally" have bled previous to starting the pill. Yes, some women start bleeding the week before the placebos, but if that is an ongoing thing, it means they should switch pills.

Last edited by Daisies4monkeys; 08-21-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
(female)

cremebrulee HB User

Quote:

It is not considered foolish to start your pills mid-cycle. When your OB/GYN writes a prescription for the birth control, he/she should explain to you the different approaches to starting the pill. One of the approaches is: Start your pill today if there is absolutely no chance that you could be pregnant.

Some women, like myself, are not on the average 28-day cycle like most women. Without birth control I get my period every three-four months. When I've been off the pill for a while and decide to get back on, my doctor usually will tell me to wait until I start my period or if I am absolutely certain that I am not pregnant, I can start my pills any day. For someone on a "normal" cycle this will throw their cycle off.

The original poster missed her Sunday start, if the doctor would have explained the start day better to her, she would have known that she did not have to wait until the following Sunday to start taking her pills. She could have started the pill on Monday or Tuesday or any day of the week. But since she waited until the following Sunday, she actually started on Day 8 of her cycle, which could be considered mid-cycle. Most women only know of the Day 1 or the Sunday start.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee
The original poster missed her Sunday start, if the doctor would have explained the start day better to her, she would have known that she did not have to wait until the following Sunday to start taking her pills. She could have started the pill on Monday or Tuesday or any day of the week. But since she waited until the following Sunday, she actually started on Day 8 of her cycle, which could be considered mid-cycle. Most women only know of the Day 1 or the Sunday start.

My gyno thought i would start on July 24th..so she told me it be fine to take start them on the 31st..well since i started a day early [23rd] i thought taking them on the 31st would still be okay...

is it not ok or something? was i still ok for protection from pregnancy? or did i wait to long and might of already ovulated or was beginning to?

Closed Thread