It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

Metal_Maniac HB User
Unhappy Kinda Needing Help

I have a bit of a problem. Just started taking the BC pills. I am a little confused on how to take the pills. I mean, I started my period early, and since I started, I didn't know what to do, so I just took the placebos, and I figured that I would just take the rest of my bc pills that aren't placebos when I was done with my period. Is this the right thing to do or not? I'm not entirely sure.

-Metal_Maniac-

Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User
Re: Kinda Needing Help

Be CERTAIN to use back up such as condoms if you are having sex. You are NOT protected from pregnancy taking the pill this way! You MUST take at least 21 "real" (ie the pills with the hormones in them) pills in row in order to be protected for the week off.

Start a NEW pack of pills, and take all of them, in order. If your period starts early again, keep taking the pills in order until you reach the end of the pack.

NEVER take the placebo pills before completing 21 days of "real" pill usage.

When you start your new pack of pills, use back up until you have taken the pill perfectly for seven consecutive days (ie not throwing up 2-3 hours after taking the pill, taking it at the same time each day, taking them in the correct order and not taking any interfering substances). After taking the pill perfectly for seven days you will be as protected as you ever will be on the pill (99.9% with perfect use).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

Metal_Maniac HB User

Wouldn't I just be able to do something so that I dont have to start all over again? They didn't even tell me that part. They didn't say anything about that I have to take the real before placebo in order for it to work. They just said take the pills. It sucked. So, is there anything I can do besides start a new one all together?

-Metal_Maniac-

Old 08-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Not really...you COULD take however many pills you have left and then go straight into a new pack, but that really depends on what pill you are on.

The easiest thing to do is to simply start a new pack and take ALL 21 "active" pills before going into the placebos.

Your pill packet should have come with a pamphlet of information. I suggest you read it so you're familiar with the correct way to take the pill. The other option is to go to your pharmacy and ask them to explain it to you, but they'll tell you what I'm tell you: that you MUST take 21 active pills in a row before you take a break for your period or else you lose the effectiveness to prevent pregnancy.

However, in all honesty, the easiest thing for you to do is to begin a new pack of pills today, or whenever you get them, even IF you are still bleeding and use back-up such as condoms (or simply abstain from sex) until you have correctly taken the pill for seven consecutive days.

Some things to know about taking the pill:

Late pills/missed pillsWith most combined pills (ones containing a progestin and an estrogen), a pill is not considered "missed" until it is twelve hours late. Even then, with most pills, one missed pill is not a cause for concern and the literature that came with the pill will generally suggest that no back-up is needed. However, if two pills in a row are missed, then back-up is needed until you've taken it correctly for seven consecutive days. Being late by an hour or two will not make the pill less effective, but taking it at a different time each day will lower it's efficiency to around 92%, the "typical" effectiveness. Taken perfectly, it is 99.9% effective.

Vomiting
If you vomit one to two hours after taking your pill, your body may not have had a chance to absorb it. You can either make up the pill by taking one from a spare pack, or else just continue on with your regular schedule, taking the next pill at it's usual time. If you are sick the next day as well, use back-up until you've taken the pill correctly and without vomiting for seven consecutive days. Likewise, if you have really bad diarrhea for several days, use back-up until you've taken the pill correctly and without severe diarrhea for seven consecutive days.

Antibiotics
Some antibiotics can make the pill less effective. So far the only proven one is rifampin, but if you want to be extra careful, you can use back-up while taking antibiotics and for seven days afterwards.

Side Effects
If you have breakthrough bleeding, keep taking your pills. It is a very common side effect when taking the pill for the first time. It generally takes a woman three to six months to get fully "used" to the pill and during that time, while she is protected from pregnancy provided she takes her pills correctly, she is likely to experience side effects like sore breasts, nausea, breakthrough bleeding, etc.

If you have shortness of breath, severe chest pain, severe leg pain, severe abnominal pain, blurry vision or a severe headache, contact your doctor. Those are all possible signs of a serious side effect of the pill, such as a blood clot or stroke. Those are RARE side effects of the pill, but be aware of the signs nonetheless.

Last edited by Daisies4monkeys; 08-21-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
(female)

Metal_Maniac HB User

So, even if I start my period early and I haven't finished taking all the actual birth control pills, I just keep taking them until they are all gone, and then take the placebos right? Just wondering, making sure. I mean, I've skimmed through the information paper. I just didn't see anything on this.

-Metal_Maniac-

Old 08-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Yep. Even if you're bleeding like a normal period in the middle of the pack, keep on taking the pills in order until the end of the pack.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
(female)

Metal_Maniac HB User

Alright. Thanks for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

No problem.

Closed Thread