It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User
Nuva Ring CAUSING acne??!!

I posted a little while back about some side effects from the Nuva Ring and a few of you mentioned acne. Well, I love the ring- EXCEPT my skin has broken out like crazy since being on it (only a month so far). To be more specific, I have white bumps that are deep under my skin that never seem to surface. From my horrible picking habit (sigh), these are now red scars that don't seem to ever heal. Before b.c., when I used to get breakouts, they would usually heal within a few days and go away. Its really starting to frustrate/depress me because this birth control works well with my body, but my face looks like a pizza. My face has never been flawless, but its definitely at its worst. So, Im wondering if anyone else has this problem, how long it lasts (did your body adjust to the b.c. and did it go away then?), and have you found a way to make it better? I am planning to stick it out to see if my body/complexion adapts. I would hate to go off the Ring b/c of this.

Thanks!!

Old 08-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Nuva Ring CAUSING acne??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl23
I posted a little while back about some side effects from the Nuva Ring and a few of you mentioned acne. Well, I love the ring- EXCEPT my skin has broken out like crazy since being on it (only a month so far). To be more specific, I have white bumps that are deep under my skin that never seem to surface. From my horrible picking habit (sigh), these are now red scars that don't seem to ever heal. Before b.c., when I used to get breakouts, they would usually heal within a few days and go away. Its really starting to frustrate/depress me because this birth control works well with my body, but my face looks like a pizza. My face has never been flawless, but its definitely at its worst. So, Im wondering if anyone else has this problem, how long it lasts (did your body adjust to the b.c. and did it go away then?), and have you found a way to make it better? I am planning to stick it out to see if my body/complexion adapts. I would hate to go off the Ring b/c of this.

Thanks!!
Every hormonal method of birth control has the potential to cause breakouts, especially when initially used. Hormones can cause breakouts. Normally, the acne goes away or at least subsides.

Use a good facial cleanser in the morning and at bedtime, and quit picking at your face-- you risk scarring by doing that. In time, it should go away, you just need to give it time (a few cycles).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

michellesarah HB User

I used the Ring for about 5 or 6 months and I began developing severe acne...but they weren't like regular zits...they were the way you described, deep below the skin...and I also have a squeezing habit I tried using Proactiv and it helped calm it down, but now that I'm not on the ring I don't need to use it anymore and I just get a zit every now and then. So, if you can't stand it I would get off of the ring. Just so you know, Proactiv sells a cream to reduce redness and scarring from acne...if that's too pricey...I switched to the Oil of Olay cleansing cloths and they seemed to help my complexion a lot! Good luck!

Old 08-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User
Unhappy Re: Nuva Ring CAUSING acne??!!

Yeah...that is what I am afraid of. Which is a shame because Ive been on about 4 or 5 birth control pills over the last 7 years or so (Im 23 now) & Ive had horrible reactions to all of them. The zits seem to have gone away for now (fingers crossed). Maybe like one below the surface that is small- and im NOT touching it. But its the marks theyve left behind- these flaky, scarring red things that just ARENT healing. Usually in my past, if I had a breakout, itd just flake off eventually, but these are just becoming a part of my life!! Its been about 4 weeks now!!
Thanks for letting me know. I'll give it a few months- the idea of severe acne freaks me out, but this is just the only one that's worked with my body (besides the skin).

Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

emmegirl85 HB User

I just finished my first month of NuvaRing today, took it out a little earlier for my week off. My acne got really bad a few days into it, stayed bad and just in the last 5 days, huge improvement on my face and chest. I'm still breaking out on my shoulders and back, but hopefully next month that will go away. I would stay on it, it should get better. I still have red marks on my face but overall it's a lot better, hopefully it stays that way. I'll keep you posted. Oh and ya I had the same white bumps under the skin.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

This was a problem for me as well on nuva ring. Each month I would get a couple deep zits belows the skin. It took FOREVER for them to surface and when they did they were bog and ugly. I suppose these were cystic pimples as I never had one before starting nuva ring. I stopped using nuva ring and haven't had any zits since! (and that was 6 months ago that I quit!)

Old 08-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User

Hmmm. Im wondering...what are the hormones in the nuva ring that could spur these breakouts in some individuals? I was previously on Seasonale for a very short time, and my skin broke out a bit the first week and then cleared up. Maybe it had more estrogen? Estrogen doesnt do my body good but maybe my skin? Im just curious what hormones specifically seem to do happy things for my skin in case this never goes away...then I'll be looking for something else AGAIN.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User

I just wanted to update and ask another question to those that were on the ring and had breakouts:

Its gotten a bit better in appearance lately because I have stopped picking, but my overall skin condition has not improved significantly. I wake up with a deep zit almost every day (at least 3 times a week). So its soo hard not to pop it. There are in the same 3 general areas each time. Anyway, I noticed that most of you that answered my thread saw improvement when you went OFF it. But I really like this bc, it helps with my bad periods. Did anyone notice their skin improve while they were on it?

Its been a month and a half, Im going to give it another month or two...but its so frustrating!! I hate my skin right now.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

emmegirl85 HB User

Hi, I just put in a new ring on Tuesday. My chest is still totally clear, back is better, face is better, just has annoying red spots. Overall, everything is better, by far. I wish I could say perfect, but I can't complain. I have hopes for the next month or 2 but all of them are riding on the fact that it did make me totally clear when I was on it a year ago. But my body could have changed a lot. Keep posting, I'm curious about your progress. Why do you like it as a birth control so much?

Old 09-02-2005, 05:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User

Hey, thanks for your response-
the reason why I like this so much is because I don't even notice that its there at all, other than the breakouts. No side effects. In the first month, (the 3rd week or so) I got a little itchy down there, but then I bought some cream and ate lots of yogurt as a precautoin and nothing ever came about. That was it.
This in comparison to the 3 birth control pills that I tried back when I was 16/17 yrs. old that all made me sick, bloated, gassy, cramps that had me pull over on the side of the road when I was driving, etc. I was just on seasonale prior to this and I bled for a month and a half straight. So this is WONDERFUL. I was about to decide that my body was just not fit for birth control. I also have very bad periods without b.c. that give me unbearable cramps, and the first month on this, I only had to take 2 aleve one day, as compared to the usual 10 a day (which was really starting to scare me, thats just so unhealthy).
So I love this, but I just wish it made my skin nice instead of worse.
One thing I have noticed lately is that my red marks are starting to clear up a little faster. Before it would take weeks, but now its getting a little better. Im gonna keep up with it and see- but its good to hear that its working for you! And, I forgot to mention that my chest (cleavage area) has been breaking out too, but nothing really noticeable. Just little whiteheads that go away. Ive noticed too that the giant white bumps under my facial skin are going away slowly, but now i have blackheads EVERYWHERE. Yuck.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

emmegirl85 HB User

I'm glad it helped your period, that is one thing it did not do for me for this last one. Eating yogurt is good when you're on birth control, I take supplements as well, they have the same bacteria as yogurt. Also I recommend taking B supplements. When I was prescribed birth control they told me it depletes the B. I hope Nuvaring works out.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
(female)

SweetHome HB User

I use Nuvaring and had a problem with acne. However, I stayed on it and my skin went back to normal.

I used to be a wash and go girl when it came to skin care. I noticed with Nuvaring that I was breaking out more and also getting body acne. But anyway, I just changed cleansers and I use a scrub now and am just a little more into skincare.

All in all, it does get better and it is so worthy to stay on the ring. You can't beat the convenience.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

emmegirl85 HB User

Ya, the convenience is incredible. I have 70% clear on my back, 99% clear on my chest, my chin and lower face keeps breaking out though, is that typical with anyone else on Nuvaring??? Like under the skin zits. Ouchy

Old 09-05-2005, 08:50 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lady346 HB User

I am so glad to hear that it went away for you, Sweet Home. I hope it happens for me! How long did it take for you? I have exactly what emmegirl is describing, not so much the body acne but the breakouts on my cheek, jawline and theyre under the skin and white and bumpy. It is looking a little better lately, but I do notice that I tend to break out in the same spot each time.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:54 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

emmegirl85 HB User

I break out in the same exact spots too. Right on my jawline and they leave ugly red spots. My forehead is super clear though, so strange. I think by the 3rd month everything should sort of calm down. citygirl, do you notice that you're more tired than usual with the ring? I don't know what else could be causing it.

Closed Thread