It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

A_Moore HB User
Low-Ogestrel/ Lo-Ovral

I will be switching to Low-Ogestrel beginning tomorrow and was wondering if anyone was taking the form of BCP and had anything to share? I am switching to this from Seasonale, which was horrible!! The btb lasted for the last 2 months. I was on Desogen before that with no major side effects except that my period was very heavy the first 3 days with bad cramps and so my doctor decided to try my on Low-Ogestrel. It is the generic form of Lo/Ovral. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #2

leannaaker HB User
Re: Low-Ogestrel/ Lo-Ovral

I use Low-Ogestrol, and haven't had major side effects from it (minor weight gain, but nothing else). Sorry, but what is btb?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

shawnna HB User

I use this pill as well. It's the only one Ive ever been on, but I like it. Havent had any problems, even when I first started. I think it makes me a little more irritable, but thats about it.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
(female)

CajunTabby HB User

A_Moore: If you do give Low-Ogestrel (or Lo/Ovral) a try, please post a "review" in the future. I have been on Seasonale for almost 2 weeks, and I have been getting a bad headache around the same time of day for almost a week. I may need to look into trying something different even if it does help with my heavy periods. I'm curious to see if Low-Ogestrel will work better for you since it is the same as Seasonale...so is Levlen, Lo/Ovral, Nordette, and Levora. Will you use it in a continuous manner to mimic Seasonale's packaging?

Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
(female)

A_Moore HB User

Low-Ogestrel has norgestrel (.3mg) and Seasonale has levonorgesterl (.15mg), looking at their chemical compositions they are slightly different. Not sure if that and/or the dose causes them to behave differently, I guess we'll see! I will post my feelings and reactions to using this kind. I don't plan on taking them continuously (unless I have something planned that I don't want my period for!) and then I will probably only skip 1 month at a time. I tried depo provera for 6 months too and had the btb (break through bleeding) problems with that as well, so I think my body is trying to tell me that I can't go without my period! Although when I was on Desogen I could skip a month here and there with no problems of bleeding, so I think my body just can't handle the 3-6 month no period thing!

Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

CajunTabby HB User

You are correct! Sorry about the mixup. I was misinformed about Low-Ogestrel and Lo/Ovral being the same as Seasonale; however, I did find out that Portia is the same. I bet I'd save a ton of money if my doc prescribed Portia (generic for Nordette) to use continuously.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
(female)

A_Moore HB User

Definitely go for the generic! Low-Ogesterl is the generic for Lo/Ovral and with my insurance I only pay $4 a pack!! Big time savings!

Old 09-02-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
(female)

A_Moore HB User

*UPDATE*

I just wanted to write and update everyone on my switch to Low-Ogestrel. I have been taking the pills for 1 week now and can already see a difference (so can my fiance!). First and for most the bleeding has stopped! I had a pretty normal period after coming off of Seasonale and once I started Low-Ogestrel the bleeding stopped almost immediately. As for the emotional issues, I was always one to be skeptical about BCP's causing all of these crazy side effects, but I can tell you since being on these pills I have noticed that I have been in a really good mood. Something I know I was not when taking Seasonale. I also think that my sex drive has come back. Seasonale really put a damper on things for me! The only other thing that I have noticed is that I have broken out with a few pimples this week, nothing major and hopefully that will go away soon, along with the extra weight that I think I gained from Seasonale.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of switching!

Closed Thread