It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 06:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ducttape1000 HB User
my doctor is stupid?

i went to the obgyn 5 days ago to get on 'the pill'. for acne purposes. i wanted to go on OTC or yasmin. she wouldnt NOT prescribe me either. she said since i have never been on the pill, she will prescribe me ortho tri-cyclen lo. she did this. i then went home and researched it (their website does NOT acknowledge it for acne) After reading these boards and seeing that it makes acne WORSE, i do not want to go on it. my period is starting any day and i want to go on YASMIN. will planned parenthood write me a prescription for yasmin? i just had a pap smear 5 days ago and just want the prescription. what do i do?

Old 08-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
(female)

Anon1 HB User
Re: my doctor is stupid?

I think calling your doctor stupid is a pretty strong sentiment. Can you just call up and ask her why she prescribed this particular pill? I'm sure there is a valid reason. Why not try the pill for a few months? If things don't get better or get worse you can always call up and tell her. If she is still really that unconcerned with your requests and needs then maybe you should find another doctor.

Or you could call Planned Parenthood and ask them...I'm sure someone there could give you a little information over the phone. Hope that helps a little!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

She is not stupid but she is being unfair and not listening to your opinion. It doesn't matter if you have never been on birth control before most of the pills will be okay to try. I had a bad experience with OTC lo and here is why. I think women that have acne should stick with mono-phasic pills that have the same hormone amount in every pill all throughout the month. Tri- phasic pills like OTC lo have a different amout of hormone in every week. I am on Yasmin and it is a mono-phasic and it had cleared my skin up and when I was on Alesse which is also mono my skin was clear too. The OTC lo made me breakout terrible and I did stick it out for 3-4 months but I couldn't take it anymore so I got on Yasmin. I would either call your doctor back and explain that you really want Yasmin and if she will not listen to you find another obgyn or go to planned parenthood and ask if they will prescribe it to you.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducttape1000
i went to the obgyn 5 days ago to get on 'the pill'. for acne purposes. i wanted to go on OTC or yasmin. she wouldnt NOT prescribe me either. she said since i have never been on the pill, she will prescribe me ortho tri-cyclen lo. she did this. i then went home and researched it (their website does NOT acknowledge it for acne) After reading these boards and seeing that it makes acne WORSE, i do not want to go on it. my period is starting any day and i want to go on YASMIN. will planned parenthood write me a prescription for yasmin? i just had a pap smear 5 days ago and just want the prescription. what do i do?
First of all, she probably prescribed OTC Lo because it's low in hormones. The idea behind birth control is to start at the lowest dosage, and then work up if necessary.

Secondly, of course the website did not say that it is for acne. The only pill that you're going to find that says on it's website that it can treat acne is Ortho Tri Cyclen, because it's the only one approved to do so. This doesn't mean that every other pill won't help acne, and it certainly doesn't mean that every other pill will make acne worse. What it does mean is that the FDA approved Ortho Tri Cyclen for this purpose, and no other pill has been examined.

There is no evidence that OTC Lo will make your acne worse. None. Of course, there are bad experiences with EVERY pill, but considering OTC Lo is almost chemically identical to OTC (which is what you wanted), chances are that you'll have similar results using OTC Lo compared to using OTC. Granted, this small hormonal difference is enough in some women, but if you can't take OTC Lo, chances are you wouldn't do well with OTC, either.

I suggest that you take the pill as directed, and actually wait it out. Your doctor sees hundreds of patients weekly, and I doubt that she's giving you something to make your acne worse. She's prescribing based on what she's seen as result, not what random people have to say on a website.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
(female)

RiotGirl00 HB User

I agree with GLSheridan.
Just because you read a bunch of bad experiences on this site, doesn't make it true for everyone. In fact, I would know because I've been on OTCLo for 6 months and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Your doctor is not stupid. She knows what she's doing.
I went to the Planned Parenthood Clinic to get on birth control (not for skin purposes). I didn't have a huge problem with my skin...but I would break out before my periods almost every month; nothing too bad though.
And I didn't have any prefereces. I let the doctor decide which pills are right for me because she would know best, of course.

Well, believe it or not OTCLo IMPROVED my skin a whole lot! Now my skin looks a lot better and I don't even break out before my periods anymore. And even if I do occasionally get a blemish, it goes away so fast..and it's not like a full blown nasty zit or anything.

So before you get mad at your doctor over prescribing you the "wrong" pills, try them them for a couple of months. If it doesn't work then you an always try the ones you think would be better for you.
For some people OTCLo works, for others it doesn't. I personally love this pill.
You never know...it just might work for you too.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
(female)

cremebrulee HB User

it is odd. most doctors i have been to always prescribe the pill i want. my last gyno actually gave me three months worth of yasmin to sample before filling the prescription. i love yasmin.

glsheridan is right...everyone reacts differently to different bc pills. i also prefer monophasic over triphasic pills. triphasic pills make me feel nauseated and moody. ortho lo is very popular. give it a try and see how you like it. you may end up loving it.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:02 AM   #7
Inactive

Hideout HB User

Estrostep is another bc pill that is FDA approved for acne treatment.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

emmegirl85 HB User

I asked for Yasmin at Planned Parenthood. They said they can't carry it bc it's too expensive of a pill. Ortho lo made me feel pretty sick. I would suggest Nuvaring.

Closed Thread