It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

mzsara HB User
Changing from Ortho Lo for acne

I was previously using Ortho Lo with Tetracyclene & Retin A for complexion. As usual neither of my docs told me that it wasn't good to use these two drugs together. Found out that it would increase my chances of getting pregnant, increase risk of birth defects, and also caused many yeast infections & sun burns.

I'm 28 so I really want to end this darn pimple cycle. I'm only using topical agents now for my skin, but I'm still breaking out quite a bit. Lots of little red pimples on my jawline only that I can never quite get to go away. I'm thinking of switching from Ortho Lo to something else in an attempt to clear this up. Had been on Ortho for 7 years and switched to Ortho Lo in the last 2 years.

Have read tons on this forum about Apri, Aleese, Yasmin, etc. Still trying to figure what is right for me without changing pills every 3 months. Mos def need the pregnancy protection, want clearer skin, less moodiness & no weight gain (feels like I'm asking for the moon!) Any suggestions???

Old 08-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

cremebrulee HB User
Re: Changing from Ortho Lo for acne

Every woman reacts differently to different birth control pills. Some people swear by Ortho tricyclen, others swear by Diane-35... For me what worked really well was minocycline for the initial clear up. I like yasmin mainly because i have absolutely no side effects while on it. Unfortunately you will have to try several pills for several months until you find one that works for you. And if you are going to combine birth control with an antibiotic, there is the potential of decreasing the effectiveness of birth control. A lot of people say that antibiotics have no effect on birth control.

This belongs on a different board but have you tried Differin cream for your face?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

amberw22 HB User

I was switched from Loestrin 1/30 (Generic- Microgestin 1/30) to Loestrin 1/20 my skin cleared up completely. It was like a God send for my skin. I have clear skin for the first time in about ten years. It's even clearing up the red bumps the acne left behind. BUT (Isn't there always a but?) It killed my sex drive. I mean KILLED it. My doc just switched me to Alesse but warned me that my skin will most likely break out again. I'm heartbroken after knowing what it's like to have clear skin. I hate birth control.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

mzsara HB User

Isn't that the worst part??? I remember when I could leave the house without cover up and feel great about myself. Now I feel petrified to walk out of the bathroom without some sort of makeup on! It's almost enough to drive me back to Tetracyclene.
I'll be starting the Yasmin in about two weeks when I am done with this pill pack.

Closed Thread