HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Birth Control (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/)
-   -   Sterilization or ParaGuard - Questions... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/320310-sterilization-paraguard-questions.html)

ittal 08-30-2005 11:58 PM

Sterilization or ParaGuard - Questions...

Here's the deal...

I have 2 children, with one on the way. Hubby has consented to have a vasectomy. However, I looked up information on it, and it said for his age (<25), it has a spontaneous reversal rate of up to 50%! Is this true? ***** says it's very rare for it to do that, but gives no numbers.

We're considering this, because my OBGYN has expressed concerns about inserting an IUD for 1 year after this pregnancy. With my last one, she said she would do it 6 months after I gave birth - to give the uterus time to harden and strengthen and prevent possible punctures. This pregnancy and the last one are <6 months apart. She wants to wait even longer (12 months) before inserting the IUD, so my body completely heals itself.

I am afraid of getting pregnant again. I cannot use condoms (various nastiness), am too heavy at ideal weight to use hormonal birth control effectively, and 'mom bombs' are little more than an insurance policy. It seems a non hormonal IUD or sterilization are my only options. Which brings me to my second question(s)...

I saw a few posts on Mirena, but has anyone used ParaGuard? Is it good? What are the risks? Can any OBGYN insert it, or are there some who are more qualified than others? Is the worry about puncturing my uterus warrented?

Alyna25 09-01-2005 05:43 PM

Re: Sterilization or ParaGuard - Questions...

Hey girl! I'm going threw a similar situation. I just had a baby three months ago and I've tried the patch and seasonel but I can't take hormonal birth control because I have ADD and Anxiety and the BC makes it worse. The best thing I tried was the nuvaring with a steady stream of hormonal release and it worked great but it also gave me bad hormonal headaches every once in a while, acne and wt gain. That was before the baby. Now we arn't sure if we want anymore but were not ready to close ourselfs off to the possibility. I'm having a copper IUD- the paraguard- put in on my next cycle. My doctor says that even if it does become embedded which is one of my two biggest fears (the other an eptopic pregnancy) that it will be okay it won't cause me to not be able to have anymore kids. I'm concered about the eptopic pregnancy but that is possible even without the IUD. I'm going to go with the copper because after my insurance helps me pay for it if I leave it in for two years the cost is only 5.00 a month! there are no weight gain side effects, which I am struggling to loose after the baby, and to be honest with you if I ever do have an eptopic pregnancy I just don't think that anyone could ever convice me that it happened because I had an IUD I know a girl on clomid trying for over a year to get preggo and got an ectopic. now she's preggo again but I believe in if it wasn't ment to be it wasn't ment to be!