It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
(male)

semid HB User
question about ortho-tri.....(birth control pill)

so my wife and I are starting to try oral contreceptives. We went to planned parenthood, and the lady gave us a months supply of ortho-tri...something. She told us that when my wife has her period, start the pills on the following sunday, and wait 7 days before having sex

My wife had her period on monday, and we were planning to have the pill on sunday, but on sunday, she was in a car accident, so she missed the pill, and so on monday, she took 2 pills to make it up.

first of all, is this the right thing to do? Since she missed the first dose, was it ok to double up the next day?

second question: since we need to wait 7 days, do we have sex on the next sunday, or the next monday, or the next tuesday? I'm confused now....

thanx

Old 09-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User
Re: question about ortho-tri.....(birth control pill)

First off I hope your wife is OK from the car accident. I have been on ortho tri cylen and on most birth control pills you can if you miss a pill take two even three to catch up and should be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

cartjen HB User

Hey there
Kudos to you for being concerned enough to ask...

First off, yes it's right to take 2 pills the next day if she 'forgets' or in this case is unable to take it on the right day. Missing 2 days though, and my doctor says to just wait until the next cycle...ie, don't take 3.

If this is her first time ever with ortho-tricyclen, then you should be aware that the pill has instructions that say, and doctors agree, that you should use other protection for the first 3 months, which is about the time it takes for her hormones to fully adjust to the pill every day. There is a toll free number on the website, I believe, for ortho-tri, if you have other questions.

I've been on it for 5 years, since I was 25, and it has been really great. I've had no problems. But I do hope your wife gets checkups every year or two, as women generally should.

good luck!
jennifer

Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

Take two pills on the day you remember and two pills the next day, then continue taking one pill daily at the regular time, until the cycle is completed.

You MUST use a backup method of birth control when you have intercourse, until you begin your next package of pills.

Expect nausea to occur when you have to take two pills in one day. Taking them with food and eating small, frequent meals or snacks may reduce the nausea.

Expect to have spotting or bleeding during mid-cycle. It may continue until you begin your next package of pills.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartjen
Hey there

If this is her first time ever with ortho-tricyclen, then you should be aware that the pill has instructions that say, and doctors agree, that you should use other protection for the first 3 months, which is about the time it takes for her hormones to fully adjust to the pill every day.
jennifer
All of the Ortho products are effective after 7 days of perfect use. It's clearly stated in the package insert. It's often recommended to use a back-up method of birth control for the entire first cycle as an extra precaution, but 3 months is unnecessary.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
(female)

cjchicka31 HB User

i don't know about taking 3 pills at once to get caught up. I had a friend who was also on TriCyclen and she couldn't take more than one pill in 12 hours. I could handle taking 2, but when I took 3 in 24 hours, I was sick as a dog the entire next day.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
(female)

Skylar333 HB User

I will put in my 2 cents of what I know about this pill. She should have just started on Monday and not have taken two doses. My gynocologist told me that if I miss a pill to make sure to take the next on time but that doubleing up does very little but make the women naustious. But that advice is something your wife will need to run by her doctor. You two need to wait at least a week before the pills are effective in preventing pregnancy. I was on ortho tri cyclen lo and am now pregnant from it failing. I took my pill pretty much on time all the time. If for some reason she throws up within an hour of taking the pill she will need to take another one. This happened to me and I think this may be how I got pregnant. I hope this pill works better for the two of you then it worked for me and my boyfriend.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lharmon37 HB User

I hope your wife is OK from her accident, I would not worry to much about taking the pill. I have been I ortho tri cyclen for many yrs and I have been on many before that. I feel ortho tri cyclen has been the best for me, and I have missed a pill here and there and have taken 2 one day and 2 the next. I have had no problems with feeling sick like other BC pills.
I tried for three months the NEW ortho tri cyclen LO and hated it, I did not think it was a strong enough hormone in it. I had nothing but break through bleeding all the time. I switched back to Ortho tri cyclen I feel great with this BC.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
(female)

cjchicka31 HB User
Post Re: question about ortho-tri.....(birth control pill)

<<<deleted>>>

everyone's bodies are different, you can't expect what works for you, to work for everyone. your best bet, semidevil is to get advice from your wife's gynecologist or doctor, someone who knows how her body reacts to medications, especially since birth control pills are strong and can mess up a lot of things.. I hope everything goes well!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-12-2005 at 02:51 AM. Reason: do not tell member's what to feel or do.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
(female)

RiotGirl00 HB User

I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for about 7 months (no problems).
I've read the entire package insert more than once. It doesn't say anywhere that you MUST use other form of protection till your next pack, or for the first 3 months. That's completely bogus.
Maybe it's a good idea to use extra protection for the first month for those women who aren't sure the pill is strong enough for them.
But you only need to use extra protection for the first 7 days..no more. If it's taken correctly, it will work fine after the 7 days.

My boyfriend and I started having unprotected sex 6 days after I started the pill, and nothing happened.
I've missed the pill a few times by 2-3 hours..and still nothing bad happened. Though I know this pill isn't effective for everyone, it works GREAT for some of us.
As long as she follows her doctor's advice and reads the insert, everything will be fine.

Oh, and it is okay to take two pills at once, if she happened to miss a pill from the day before. I don't know about three, but two is definitely okay.

[I know OTCLo isn't exactly the same as the original OTC due to the reduced hormones and whatnot...but it's pretty much the same when it comes to the chemical make up. Just validating my opinion.]

Closed Thread