It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
what are you suppose to do if you experience spotting?

i am on ortho lo..my 3rd pill pack and im still experiencing spotting and its been like this for about a week and a half. im waiting to see if i get my period on the placebos [im still on the dark blue pills]..but do you even think i will get my period? if the spotting continues what do i do? get moved up to regular ortho tri cyclen!? help this is so worrysome. does this mean i could be pregno..and if so how would i even know!?

Last edited by Longview; 10-12-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
Re: what are you suppose to do if you experience spotting?

Even if you dont know the answer..any help would be greatly appreciated..

no one has ever been in this position?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview
i am on ortho lo..my 3rd pill pack and im still experiencing spotting and its been like this for about a week and a half. im waiting to see if i get my period on the placebos [im still on the dark blue pills]..but do you even think i will get my period? if the spotting continues what do i do? get moved up to regular ortho tri cyclen!? help this is so worrysome. does this mean i could be pregno..and if so how would i even know!?

You probably will get a period on the placebos, but you may not. There is no way to know for sure.

If this has been going on for quite a while (which I believe it has from your other posts), it's time to switch pills. While your body may adjust eventually, it's crazy to spot everyday just waiting for that regulation. Three months is enough time to wait for regulation.

What you get switched to is up to your doctor. S/he may recommend regular OTC, or may recommend a different hormone combination altogether.

And no, spotting does not indicate that you're pregnant. If you've been taking the pill perfectly, without drug/food interactions and aren't overweight, it's very unlikely that you're pregnant.

If you are pregnant, you'd eventually miss a period, and the spotting most likely would have stopped.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSheridan
You probably will get a period on the placebos, but you may not. There is no way to know for sure.

If this has been going on for quite a while (which I believe it has from your other posts), it's time to switch pills. While your body may adjust eventually, it's crazy to spot everyday just waiting for that regulation. Three months is enough time to wait for regulation.

What you get switched to is up to your doctor. S/he may recommend regular OTC, or may recommend a different hormone combination altogether.

And no, spotting does not indicate that you're pregnant. If you've been taking the pill perfectly, without drug/food interactions and aren't overweight, it's very unlikely that you're pregnant.

If you are pregnant, you'd eventually miss a period, and the spotting most likely would have stopped.

no i have not been spotting for the whole 3 mths ive been on it..my first 2 pill packs were fine and my period came when it was suppose to..now on my 3rd pill pack i started spotting on the first light blue pills and im almost finished with my dark blue ones...sometimes its more than spotting but never enough to cover a tampon or anything. SO NOW should i worry about pregnancy? it DOES say in my pill insert you can have breakthrough bleeding the first 2 or 3 pill packs.but bleeding for almost 2 wks seems like alot if my body is just "adjusting" im afraid there wont be no blood left to bleed when it comes down to me being on my placebos soon. thats why i wondering how will i even know if i have a period!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

aln030482 HB User

I'm not familiar with the pill you are taking, but I would contact your doctor about it. Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview
no i have not been spotting for the whole 3 mths ive been on it..my first 2 pill packs were fine and my period came when it was suppose to..now on my 3rd pill pack i started spotting on the first light blue pills and im almost finished with my dark blue ones...sometimes its more than spotting but never enough to cover a tampon or anything. SO NOW should i worry about pregnancy? it DOES say in my pill insert you can have breakthrough bleeding the first 2 or 3 pill packs.but bleeding for almost 2 wks seems like alot if my body is just "adjusting" im afraid there wont be no blood left to bleed when it comes down to me being on my placebos soon. thats why i wondering how will i even know if i have a period!
Sorry for my assumption. If it just happened this pack, then I wouldn't rush to the doctor. And occasional spotting can last several weeks. But, if you're ready to switch, then consult your doctor.

If you start to spot next cycle, let your doctor know. Many women have been unable to use OTC Lo because the hormone levels were a little too low and the experienced spotting. Again, spotting in no way indicates pregnancy or decreased effectiveness. If you're worried, take a pregnancy test during your period week whether or not you get a period. There is no way to know now if you'll have a period or not; you just have to wait and see. Some women bleed/spot for months straight, so there's certainly enough blood and lining there to spot/bleed for extended periods of time.

Closed Thread