It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

evetty HB User
Question ortho-evra side effects???

I recently tried using Ortho-evra (the patch) last week. I put it on the night that I got my period and the next day I was very sick. I vomited 3 times, but there was nothing in my stomach. I was breaking into a cold sweat and shivering, but had no fever. I'm confused though because the nurse I talked to told me not to take off the patch and go to the ER because it was probably a virus that I had caught at the ER a few days ago (i also sprained my ankle). After vomiting again (sorry to get so graphic) I was so frustrated that I just took off the patch and within 30 minutes I was fine!! I'm still not sure what it was, but I know one of the side effects of ortho-evra is vomiting, yet the nurse said that it shouldn't make you vomit because it's going through your skin and not directly into your stomach... ???... so really... I'm not sure whether to just go on the pill or try again... I'm really afraid to try again because I don't want to feel all that again, and I also read that it actually could cause more clotting than the pill... what should i do??

Sorry it's so long.... had to get this out...

Old 10-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: ortho-evra side effects???

Quote:
Originally Posted by evetty
I recently tried using Ortho-evra (the patch) last week. I put it on the night that I got my period and the next day I was very sick. I vomited 3 times, but there was nothing in my stomach. I was breaking into a cold sweat and shivering, but had no fever. I'm confused though because the nurse I talked to told me not to take off the patch and go to the ER because it was probably a virus that I had caught at the ER a few days ago (i also sprained my ankle). After vomiting again (sorry to get so graphic) I was so frustrated that I just took off the patch and within 30 minutes I was fine!! I'm still not sure what it was, but I know one of the side effects of ortho-evra is vomiting, yet the nurse said that it shouldn't make you vomit because it's going through your skin and not directly into your stomach... ???... so really... I'm not sure whether to just go on the pill or try again... I'm really afraid to try again because I don't want to feel all that again, and I also read that it actually could cause more clotting than the pill... what should i do??

Sorry it's so long.... had to get this out...
Nausea is a common side effect of the patch, but it will usually go away after a few weeks/cycles. Your body just needs to get used to the hormones.

If you'd like to continue using the patch, ask your doctor for a anti-nausea drug like Phenergan or Compazine. That should settle your stomach, although might make you sleepy.

And yes, recent studies show that the patch is more likely to cause blood clots than the pill, but this usually isn't a problem for healthy, non-smokers.

If you want, certainly try the pill again. There are many, many combinations of hormones available. It's just trial and error to see what works best for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I had the same issue. I was on it for one and a half years before the vomiting started. My doctor told me she could give me an anti-nausea medication, but I just stopped using the patch. It wasn't worth it for me in the end.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

evetty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGirl44
I had the same issue. I was on it for one and a half years before the vomiting started. My doctor told me she could give me an anti-nausea medication, but I just stopped using the patch. It wasn't worth it for me in the end.

what did you end up using instead?? just the pill??

Old 10-26-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
(female)

evetty HB User

also, what is it that makes you nauseous and vomit while on birth control?? Is it really the hormones or is because , like the nurse said, it is being absorbed through your stomach?? If it is the hormones... then if I have bad side effects to this wouldn't it happen on ALL hormonal birth controls, whether it be the pill, patch, or ring?? just wondering...

Old 10-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evetty
what did you end up using instead?? just the pill??
Hey evetty,

Nope, went off all bc pills completely. Current BF had a vasectomy a few years back and I use VCF instead (just to be extra safe).

Closed Thread