It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

onemondaynite HB User
Exclamation help! need info fast!

ok here's whats going on. i havent seen my boyfriend in almost 2 months, we've planned a romantic getaway in january. the only problem is im supposed to get my period the 2nd day we're there(which happens to be our anniversary ). I've been on Yasmin since may of this year, my aunt told me that i could just take a week off of my brith control. like this week im on my sugar pills so im supposed to start my new pack next sunday,but she said that i should start my new pack the week after that so that my period will be the week after our trip. so that means that next week i wont take my birth control at all and i just start the next sunday. is this going to make my chances of getting pregnant increase? is it a bad idea?? please any help would be greatly appreciated.thanx!!

Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: help! need info fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemondaynite
ok here's whats going on. i havent seen my boyfriend in almost 2 months, we've planned a romantic getaway in january. the only problem is im supposed to get my period the 2nd day we're there(which happens to be our anniversary ). I've been on Yasmin since may of this year, my aunt told me that i could just take a week off of my brith control. like this week im on my sugar pills so im supposed to start my new pack next sunday,but she said that i should start my new pack the week after that so that my period will be the week after our trip. so that means that next week i wont take my birth control at all and i just start the next sunday. is this going to make my chances of getting pregnant increase? is it a bad idea?? please any help would be greatly appreciated.thanx!!

No, you won't increase your chances of pregnancy. Many women skip the inactive tablets in their packet and start a few pack to skip periods. However, some women are unable to skip their periods, so be aware that you may spot/get your period anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
(female)

onemondaynite HB User

im not skipping the inactive pills, im taking them,but im going to go all next week without starting a new pack, so i'll be off the pill for a week.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

If you do that, then yes, you are at risk of pregnancy. Both for the second week off (next week) and the first week you're on the pill. The better thing to do is start your pills as normal, and don't take your inactive pills next month. Instead, start a new pack of pills, and skip your period.

If you do it the way you suggest you're totally compromising your protection and will have to use condoms or abstain from sex until you've taken the active pills perfectly (on time, missing no pills, no interfering substances) for seven consecutive days.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

redsoxgirl2418 HB Userredsoxgirl2418 HB User

it depends on what your priorities are. If you would be willing to use other protection for the two weeks you're not taking active pills as well as the first week you begin taking them again (your inactive week, and the week after when you are not using the pills at all, and your first week back on them), then your plan is probably ok. If the week in January is important enough to sacrifice those 3 weeks using condoms or whatever, then go ahead. I would be cautious in making this decision though, because your body may react differently to that time off the pill and throw off your cycle for a bit. Your other option, as the other posters mentioned, is to skip your inactive week and start a new pack that month. Again, it's not a sure thing that your body won't freak out at the difference in hormones and bleed anyway.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gel2005 HB User

If you do what you are talking about you are going to mess you cycle all up. You would be better doing what the others said to do. just skip the inactive pills. That is what my sister did for her honeymoon.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
(female)

rossmonkey HB User

Yeah I would really not go an extra week witout taking your pills because it would be less effective for the whole month. I would say go with skipping the inactive pills the following month. I tried it once and my period did start anyways but it was 2 weeks late and not near as heavy.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxgirl2418
it depends on what your priorities are. If you would be willing to use other protection for the two weeks you're not taking active pills as well as the first week you begin taking them again (your inactive week, and the week after when you are not using the pills at all, and your first week back on them), then your plan is probably ok. If the week in January is important enough to sacrifice those 3 weeks using condoms or whatever, then go ahead. I would be cautious in making this decision though, because your body may react differently to that time off the pill and throw off your cycle for a bit. Your other option, as the other posters mentioned, is to skip your inactive week and start a new pack that month. Again, it's not a sure thing that your body won't freak out at the difference in hormones and bleed anyway.
She wouldn't need to use back up during her inactive week, because if a woman takes all of her pills correctly, she is fully protected ALL month. She will just need to use back up for the second week of taking no active pills and the first week back on the pill.

Closed Thread