It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

willowb HB User
darkening of areola's???

i was wondering if someone could help me. here's the story. i was on depo for 4 years...then i switched to the patch. almost immediately my breasts were tender and my areola's darkened...i wasnt having sex at the time so i knew i wasnt pregnant. i did a search on it and all these sites on "how to detect early pregnancy" popped up!! could they have darkened because of the estrogen??? or the hormonal imbalance going from depo to patch?? depo doesnt have estrogen in it if im not mistaken...can someone help me please!! i would like to know if this is permanent or if theyll go back to normal when i stop all BC completely...thank you in advance...

W

Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
(female)

cark HB User
Re: darkening of areola's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowb
i was wondering if someone could help me. here's the story. i was on depo for 4 years...then i switched to the patch. almost immediately my breasts were tender and my areola's darkened...i wasnt having sex at the time so i knew i wasnt pregnant. i did a search on it and all these sites on "how to detect early pregnancy" popped up!! could they have darkened because of the estrogen??? or the hormonal imbalance going from depo to patch?? depo doesnt have estrogen in it if im not mistaken...can someone help me please!! i would like to know if this is permanent or if theyll go back to normal when i stop all BC completely...thank you in advance...

W

Im a bit dark skinned anyway, but I noticed that the areolas and nipples darkened as well when on BC. I took ortho tricyclene this last time and it happoened with that combination also. I would imagine its the estrogen but Im unsure.. one thing I can tell you is that for me anyway, the darkening never went away and they get darker with every pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

Mine never got darker from birth control, but I have had 2 sons and they got soooo dark and so BIG. I hate my boobs now. My baby is now 9mths and they have lightened up some but not much. I too would have to guess that it is from the hormones, it sucks but there is nothing that I can do about it now.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
(female)

cark HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Girl 78
Mine never got darker from birth control, but I have had 2 sons and they got soooo dark and so BIG. I hate my boobs now. My baby is now 9mths and they have lightened up some but not much. I too would have to guess that it is from the hormones, it sucks but there is nothing that I can do about it now.

I didnt get the enlarged areolas.. but I have seen plenty of women that have {removed} and to me anyway, it doesnt look bad at all. Darkened or bigger... we're mothers

Id also imagine the estrogen is why I get freckles and dark patches on my body when pregnant.. or its a combo of my heritage and the estrogen.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 11-16-2005 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Please dont use creditials.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
(female)

willowb HB User

i dont think it looks bad either, but its just a noticable change...to me anyway, my hubby says he cant tell...im african american and light complected. and my areola's were always a light brown, now theyre very dark brown, either way, i dont think it looks bad, but just curious about the whole thing. thanks ladies for your input!

W

Closed Thread