It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #1

mandeline04 HB User
low sex drive with nuvaring?????

i've only been on nuvaring for a couple months but since i've been on it i have had almost NO sex drive!!!!! i can't get very wet and i also can't orgasm! this isn't like me at all and it seems to be killing my relationship with my boyfriend of 2 years! i've always had a great sex drive and now i'm not sure what to do. has anyone else had this problem and do you think its related? does it get better down the road or should i switch bc? anyone suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 02-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

HeyKD HB User
Re: low sex drive with nuvaring?????

Thats what happened to me. It seems like it takes so long to find the right pill. I was losing my hair, my libido, gained weight, and was very dry too. I just decided to quit. It wasn't worth the trouble of going through pill after pill to find the right one. Then they're dangerous to your health in the long run.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #3

mandeline04 HB User

i know what you mean - was on ortho evra for almost two years and didn't have any problems until about the last two months and i started having breakthrough bleeding - i then decided to get an iud which was the biggest mistake of my life, nothign but problems with that thing so i finally had it taken out and decided to try this method.....not sure what to do here! thanks for posting.......ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY COMMENTS?????

thanks guys!

Old 02-13-2006, 01:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Hm, I used it for 18 months, but with me the sex drive decreased very gradually, I only really noticed it till after a year or so... I did however have the problem of vaginal dryness from pretty early on. For me, time only made it worse.

I'm now off nuvaring since three months, and I'm pretty much back to normal, and loving it... Hormonal BC isn't for me unfortunately...

Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 AM   #5

fawnb HB User

Mandeline what kind of problems did you have with the IUD, I am on the paragard IUD and have had absolutely no sex drive. I don't even like affection of the slightest kind from a really great guy I've been seeing for almost a year. It's absolutely pulling us apart, I'm scheduled this week to get it removed and have no idea what bc I will be on. I thought IUD was my best bet but obviously it isn't, a lot of people are trying to convince me that since there are no hormones in the IUD that it can not be affecting my sex drive but I beg to differ..

Old 02-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #6

mandeline04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnb
Mandeline what kind of problems did you have with the IUD, I am on the paragard IUD and have had absolutely no sex drive. I don't even like affection of the slightest kind from a really great guy I've been seeing for almost a year. It's absolutely pulling us apart, I'm scheduled this week to get it removed and have no idea what bc I will be on. I thought IUD was my best bet but obviously it isn't, a lot of people are trying to convince me that since there are no hormones in the IUD that it can not be affecting my sex drive but I beg to differ..

the only problems i had from the iud were horrible periods, bleeding really heavy and my hemoglobin got really low, cramping really bad all the time, sudden sharp pinching type pains inside - that kind of thing! i had it for about 7 months and if it weren't for that i'd loved it! some people have hard times with iuds and some people love them - it didn't affect my sex drive at all and no it doesn' thave hormones in it but some people have an allergy to the copper that the paraguard iud has on it. if i were you i'd look at the side affects to copper iuds on the net and see if that has anything to do with the problem you are having

Old 02-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
(female)

Leahceleste HB User

Over the past 6 years I took birth control off and on. I tried half a dozen different brands. At first my side effects were bleeding and nausea. But then after the first year I started to feel that something just wasn't right, I wasn't myself. It took me years to figure out that the drop in my libido and on/off depression was being caused by the birth control pill. Usually about three months into taking the pill I found that becoming aroused was almost impossible and I had little to no interest in having sex. On top of that my emotions were all over the place.

I became invloved with my current boyfriend about three years ago and since then we have experienced a rollercoaster of emotional stabilty and sexual desire based on if I was on the pill or not. I tried(yet again) taking the pill twice in the past two years and based on my experience I will never ever take it again!!

Ladies: if you are experiencing depression and/or changes in your sex drive I urge you to stop taking the pill! My life and relationship has improved so much since I stopped taking it. It took 6 months after this last pill for me to have a normal period and I finally feel stable!

I find it alarming that there is almost no information on these side effects associated with taking the pill. When I first suspected that my depression/low libido might be linked to birth control I couldn't find anyone that new anything about it or had a similar experience, not even the doctors. I know other women who take birth control and are also on anti-depressants and fear that they may not be aware of the relationship between the two.

Your mental health is a very important thing, don't sacrafice it. I shopped around for condoms and found a wonderful brand that my boyfriend and I don't mind one bit. I would rather feel great and have a great emotional and sexual realtionship while using condoms then be grouchy, moody and never ever having sex while taking the pill.

Closed Thread