It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
Why do you need to take sugar pills for 7 days when you're on birth control?

The doctor told me that every month I need to take 7 days of sugar pills to let my period begin when I'm on birth control. That's a little confusing. How come I can't just take the regular pills all the way? And if I'm bleeding, then it's not safe against birth control right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Why do you need to take sugar pills for 7 days when you're on birth control?

The 3 weeks on of the birth control pill/ one week of sugar pills is just to keep you in the habit of taking the pill all month long. If you start a new pack of pills without waiting that week or taking the sugar pills, you probably won't have a period. I always used to just toss the sugar pills out and start the new pills the following Sunday AFTER my period had started.

As far as pregnancy, if this is your first month on the pill, I'd wait another cycle before having unproted sex. Chances are it's fine, but I was always told to wait 2 cycles.

If your still unsure, I'd call your doctor's office and ask to talk to the nurse...she can explain it better to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
Re: Why do you need to take sugar pills for 7 days when you're on birth control?

You have 3 weeks of active pills then the 7 days of the sugar pills(non active pills) is during your menstral cycle. The reason why you take these pills is so you dont get out of context for taking a pill every day.
If you continued taking the active pills during the week of the non active pills, you will not get a period.
Some people dont even take the sugar non active pill during that week. They just wait till they have to start there new monthly pack on that sunday and start taking the actuive pills.
Which pill did your doc put you on??

Old 03-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

She gave me Alesse 28 tablets per pack. So the sugar pills not are necessary? What if someone just keeps taking the regular pills without stopping? Then that person will never get their period?

Old 03-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

supoosedly, no you dont get a period, but you can spot and you can have bleeding in between. I know it usualy depends on the person. How your body reacts.
I did the pill continuesly without the sugar pill and just kept taking the active pills and I did not have a period. I did it for a couple of months due to cyst problems. I know the BC Pill: Seasonale only give you 4 periods a year.

I would not take your pill continuesly unless directed by your doctor.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

Quakes99 HB User

You should take the pill as directed by your doctor. The sugar pills are not nesessary to take, but you shouldn't start the next month unless your doctor says so. If you are looking to skip your period, you should try another b.c. Yasmin make me skip my period without the sugar pills, so did Depo Provera.

Good Luck.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

I'm kind of confused. Each packet contains 28 pills total, including the sugar pills. But each month usually has 30 or 31 days. So for each month there will be 2 or 3 days that I will not take any pill at all. So which days should I not take any pills?

Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No...when it comes to your period, a month is 28 days. Take a pill every day. The sugar pills are there so you will remember to take one every day. People tend to forget to start back up on the Sunday if they aren't taking one every day up to that. So, start your pack on the appropriate Sunday and keep taking them until you are done and start the new pack the next day.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to take the regular pill all the way through? What would happen?

Anyways, thanx for all of your help!!!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You won't have a period.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #11
(female)

RiAnne HB User

for me taking the pill all the way through was a problem. it made me spot for about 3 weeks. it just depends on your body what will happen but if your body is normal, you just won't get a period.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Is it safe to take the regular pill all the way through without stopping and having your period? If we could avoid our period, wouldn't that be better and more convenient for us?

Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
(female)

RiAnne HB User

stopping your body from doing what's natural is not healthy

Old 03-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I take Yasmin and it's okay to take the entire month and skip the sugar pills at the end OCCASIONALLY but not every month! The bad part about less periods is that if you do accidentally get pregnant, you won't know for a longer amount of time. I have skipped the sugar pills for a month before when I was going on vacation and didn't get any spotting, but I took I made sure to not skip them the next month, etc.

Yes, as explained, there are 28 days in a pack of pills, but you don't take them exactly as on a calendar. If you read the booklet that comes with pills, it will say how you can either start taking them right when your period ends, or on a sunday, but you don't really go by "each month" or anything like that. So you may have a pack of pills that runs halfway through one month and part of another.. you just go by the days of the week that are on your pack of pills and that's it. You have a pill every day. You take the sugar pills so you can get your period and to keep you in the habit. If during that week you don't take the sugar pills and just take none at all.. it's the same. It's just easier to remember to take them to keep you in the habit.

Did your doctor explain these things to you? I'm sure if they didn't it would be tricky to figure it out on your own!

Old 03-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

I'm kind of confused. I know that you start taking your regular pills the Sunday following your period. So when do you start taking the sugar pills? What is your period comes a little sooner and you're still on your regular pills when it comes? When do you stop taking the regular pills and switch to your sugar pills?

Closed Thread