It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

MadelynsMom HB User
I hate the pill!

I have a few questions about birth control. I hate taking the pill, and I just had a baby, me and my husband do not want anymore just yet. I was reading about an IUD and I was wondering, can you use it if you still want more children later on? Does it hurt to be inserted? Can you get it at a birth control clinic for free like the pill and shot? What are my other options for birth control? And, Do you have to be 21 to get the IUD? Thanks for your advice

Old 04-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: I hate the pill!

I seriously doubt that an IUD would be free, but I don't know.

Have you considered a diaphram, or a cervical cap, or of course just condoms??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
(female)

omalll HB User

IUD's are completely reversible, so you can get one inserted and a couple years later (or however long you want) have it taken out, and you can get pregnant immediately.
Theres no age minimum, but most doctors wont do them if you're a teenager, because they want you to be in a monogamous relationship. Planned Parenthood is more willing to give them to younger women than old-school doctors (I got mine at a PP).
If you have insurance, it could very well be free. If you dont have insurance, the full price is like $400, but planned parenthood has sliding scales. Mine was $168. Not bad considering its 99.2% effective for 12 years (I have the non-hormonal one, the Paragard)
The insertion can be uncomfortable, but any pain only last a few seconds, while they insert it. Mine didnt hurt at all, though, but I took aleve beforehand. For a week or so afterwards I had cramps.
I think IUDs are great. I hated being on hormones.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

Pyewoman HB User

Hi, I have the coil fitted and it is the best thing that i ever did. I do have heavy periods through it, but i find it better than taking the pill. I get really moody and suffer with head aches when i take the pill. I got the same with the injection and i am allergic to condoms, so the coil was my only option. You need to have the coil fitted when you are on a period as the cervics is softer. Hope that help a little.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
(female)

omalll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewoman
Hi, I have the coil fitted and it is the best thing that i ever did. I do have heavy periods through it, but i find it better than taking the pill. I get really moody and suffer with head aches when i take the pill. I got the same with the injection and i am allergic to condoms, so the coil was my only option. You need to have the coil fitted when you are on a period as the cervics is softer. Hope that help a little.
FYI, I dont think they have the coil IUD in the US (correct me if Im wrong), I think all that is available is the Paragard (copper-T) and the Mirena (progesterone-releasing IUD). I know in Europe there are more options, including the Gynefix, which is supposed to be more agreeable to women who havent had kids (less chance of your body expelling it, etc) because its not a T-shaped, its just a short, rod-shaped IUD with copper, and it is fixed to the top of the uterus.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
(female)

Sophia917 HB User

I had the paraguard IUD for about 9 months before I had it taken out. I am 24 and have not had children, but my doctor (at the time) didn't think that would be a problem, since I am in a monogamous relationship. Since then, I moved cities and have seen a new GYN who explained that it's really inadvisable for anyone remotely prone to infection (i.e. unmarried/single/young women), since a uterine infection could result in permenant sterility (the IUD sits at the cusp of your cervix, so it acts as a wick and can draw bacteria up into the uterus). Also, I found that paraguard made my periods much heavier (unbearably so), and that I would get them once every 23 days (and then bleed for 8-9 of those). I felt as if I was perpetually having PMS. Mirena is supposed to be better, and can even make your "withdrawal bleeding" go away for good, but I decided against it since occasionally, with the IUD, if we were having rough sex, certain angles or direct cervical contact would become painful.

I switched to Nuvaring last month, and it's the best thing I've ever done. My periods are 3-4 days long (and light!) and I still have the freedom of not having to worry about taking something every day. I've had no problems with it falling out and the dose of hormones is much lower than in the pill, shot or patch (this was an issue since my mother had breast cancer and I have moderately-high blood pressure). Also, I've heard that you can easily skip your periods (like Seasonale), so you only have the 4 times a year, if you just reinsert the rings every 3-4 weeks. You only have fake periods anyway on hormonal bc, since you're not ovulating, so I'm going to try next month. I'll let you know how it works out!

Old 06-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
(female)

NanWalker HB User

I actually am having a Paraguard inserted tomorrow. It is free, since I don't make a lot of money, and I'm doing it at a teaching hospital. (Yikes - hope the resident is good!) I did have to apply with my income information.

Check out clinics and teaching hospitals in regard to cost, if that is an issue.

Closed Thread