It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

Trustn HB User
Where is my period?!

Hello,

I had my period exactly four weeks ago and was supposed to be getting it today. A couple of weeks ago, I had to run to get the morning after pill (first time). A few days after taking it, I started bleeding for four or five days, just as if I was having my regular period. I remember the doctor telling me to contact him if I don't get my period in three weeks after visiting him (and I went to see him a couple of weeks ago). Does this mean that if I don't get my period in a week, I should start freaking out?? Or do I just count the last bleed I had (from the morning-after pill) as my last period? I actually took a home pregnancy test two nights ago and it turned out negative, but I'm still very confused about this entire period business.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

ace8484 HB User
Re: Where is my period?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trustn
Hello,

I had my period exactly four weeks ago and was supposed to be getting it today. A couple of weeks ago, I had to run to get the morning after pill (first time). A few days after taking it, I started bleeding for four or five days, just as if I was having my regular period. I remember the doctor telling me to contact him if I don't get my period in three weeks after visiting him (and I went to see him a couple of weeks ago). Does this mean that if I don't get my period in a week, I should start freaking out?? Or do I just count the last bleed I had (from the morning-after pill) as my last period? I actually took a home pregnancy test two nights ago and it turned out negative, but I'm still very confused about this entire period business.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
It might be too soon for a home pregnancy test to show if you are pregnant, they are not 99% effective until 1 week after a missed period. Or you could call your MD for a blood pregnancy test, which is accurate within a day or so of being pregnant. Or you could wait and test again in a few days if you still haven't gotten your period. I know stress can cause your period to be wacky too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
(female)

Trustn HB User

Oh, god, so it could be true... What about the morning-after pill? Could it be doing this to me? Yes, I've been stressed out and my eating habits have been out of wack, so I'm hoping that's the reason... But can anyone tell me more about the way the morning after pill messes up the menstrual cycle??

Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

The morning after pill is a high dose of progesterone equivalent to taking more that I pack of b/c pills in one dose.
This is probably why you are having the symptoms you describe. I know the leaflets are sometimes very technical but they do tell you about the side effects. This includes irregular bleeding and also some of the symptoms of early pregnancy such as tender breasts, increased appetite, nausea.
Your cycle will regulate itself again and you will have to wait now to see when it comes.
The fact that you had bleeding early for 4-5 days is a good sign and it is unlikely that you could be pregnant.
Try not to worry and please remember how to prevent all this stress another time. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
(female)

Trustn HB User

So do I count the time I bled from the morning-after pill (for four or five days) as my actual period? If that is the case, then I'm not late. However, if I'm supposed to be counting from the last time I had my regular, "natural" period, then I'm over a week late.

I wish I was more educated on these female body matters...

Old 05-01-2006, 01:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

There is no accurate way of knowing now as the morning after pill can mess up your cycle. You cannot count the last natural period now as an indication when your next one will be as the medication you took has interrupted that cycle, ie it has worked as it should. You may get a period 28 days after the last bleed but also you may not.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
(female)

Trustn HB User

That's precisely what I have been wondering all along. Of course, this does not let me off the hook, but at least now I know that for the time being, my period is NOT late! Thank you so much!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
(female)

wondering2 HB User

Hello,

I was wondering how did this story end?
Did you get your period later than usually after all ?

I ask because I am having the same problem now , and found this thread.

I took the morning after-pill in december, got my period (or a bleeding a week after it or so ) and now I should have gotten my period again already , but still waiting for it ,and it's more than a month now that I am without a bleeding, this morning I took a pregancy test, but that was negative.

Closed Thread