It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

s2d21 HB User
Unhappy Breakthrough Bleeding - Pregnancy symptom?

Hi,

I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen since last June, my first pill that I've ever taken and just skipped a cycle in mid feb to mid march and restarted after I had my normal period. I since took the pill for 3 weeks, had my usual period in the fourth week and then restarted last Tuesday.

I have sometimes spotted very little while taking the pills but never any big breakthrough bleeding.

I'm in a long distance relationship and had sex with my boyfriend last Thursday night/friday morning...just that one time. He didn't wear any protection cause I was on the pill...was our first time since mid february.

Any how to my point, I'm experiencing breakthrough bleeding right now. and it's going at a regular flow, not too heavy not too light...

I skipped my pill last night (Sunday night) but took two today.

I did a bit of reserach and some say it could be a sign of pregnancy and some say it could be stress...I am under a lot of stress right now and that could be the reason I'm blededing. But what are the chances of pregnancy? How long does break through bleeding usually last? Could this be becuase I skipped a month and then restarted the pill? Please get back to me quickly.

thank you very much....

Last edited by s2d21; 05-02-2006 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added icon

Old 05-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User
Re: Breakthrough Bleeding - Pregnancy symptom?

Breakthrough bleeding has a number of causes. It could be because of restarting the bc or not sticking to the same time of taking it every day.
If bleeding started after you has sex then it could be a sign of infection or inflamation. After your missed pill Sunday you may not be protected for the next 7 days, depending on where you're at in your cycle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 AM   #3
(female)

s2d21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by margritm
Breakthrough bleeding has a number of causes. It could be because of restarting the bc or not sticking to the same time of taking it every day.
If bleeding started after you has sex then it could be a sign of infection or inflamation. After your missed pill Sunday you may not be protected for the next 7 days, depending on where you're at in your cycle.

the bleeding started 3 days after I had sex...

The times I've been taking the pill have been varying a bit between 9:45 and 11:00, would that be a problem?

I'm just starting my second week of pills today, not gonna be having sex again for a while..

Just checking this morning, the flow is like a regular period now....should I be worried? I'm gonna continue to take my pills...

Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

s2d21 HB User

ok...This is like a regular period now. I just really want to know if this is normal. I'm calling it 'break through bleeding' because that seems like the right word because I'm not supposed to have my period right now, but I'm not sure what it is really.

Just looking for someone to tell me if this is normal or not....and if this could be a pregnancy symptom. I'm not having any other pregnancy symptoms...

Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

Sophia917 HB User

Bleeding is generally a sign that your uterus is shedding it's lining because an egg was not fertilized and implanted into the wall. Therefore, if you are a bleeding fairly heavily, it is likely you are not pregnant, but it still could be a sign of other problems (i.e. not taking your bc regularly enough, hormone dose not being appropriate, etc.). I had similar experiences when I was on Ortho, but breakthrough bleeding was always worse when I skipped the placebos in order to skip my period. If you are interested in skipping your period and have difficulty remembering to take the pill the same time everyday, consider Nuvaring. I've been on it for my second month now and I'm really liking it. It took me a little while to get used to it, but you can wear it for four weeks at a time and when you have your periods, they are very, very light. Plus, there's nothing to take everyday. Just a thought.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

Well the only person who can tell you is a Doctor or Health Practitioner. My advice would be to go and get checked out. If you were pregnant you should not be bleeding now.
Good luck.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
(female)

s2d21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia917
Bleeding is generally a sign that your uterus is shedding it's lining because an egg was not fertilized and implanted into the wall. Therefore, if you are a bleeding fairly heavily, it is likely you are not pregnant, but it still could be a sign of other problems (i.e. not taking your bc regularly enough, hormone dose not being appropriate, etc.). I had similar experiences when I was on Ortho, but breakthrough bleeding was always worse when I skipped the placebos in order to skip my period. If you are interested in skipping your period and have difficulty remembering to take the pill the same time everyday, consider Nuvaring. I've been on it for my second month now and I'm really liking it. It took me a little while to get used to it, but you can wear it for four weeks at a time and when you have your periods, they are very, very light. Plus, there's nothing to take everyday. Just a thought.

Thanks...I am bleeding pretty heavily, just like in a period so I'm hoping it's the uterus shedding it's lining. I have decided to take a pregnancy test in a couple of days regardless...just to be sure.

As for the hormone levels I've been under a LOT of stress lately so that might've been it too.

Nuvaring is something I'll prolly consider in the future...just not right now.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

s2d21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by margritm
Well the only person who can tell you is a Doctor or Health Practitioner. My advice would be to go and get checked out. If you were pregnant you should not be bleeding now.
Good luck.
That's what I'm hoping/thinking. It's just that I read in a couple of places that breakthrough bleeding could be a symptom of pregnancy. So I will take a pregnanacy test in a couple of days, just to be sure

I am bleeding just like in a period now since late morning yesterday and I just had my BC pill scheduled period from Apr 22nd-25th. That's what has me worried!!

Old 05-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
(female)

s2d21 HB User

***************UPDATE*********

ok just an update and a followup question.

I spoke to a nurse a few days back and told her about this and she didn't say anything different...just to keep on taking the pills.

Did ask me to take a pregnancy test just to be sure as well but asked me to wait a couple of weeks first.

I am still bleeding. This the 5th day. It has lightened a bit but not too much. Other than me having this bleeding everything else is normal...no other symptoms of any kind.

My question is can I rule out pregnancy now? Like a couple of posters mentioned earlier I couldn't be bleeding a LOT if I was pregnant. I've now been bleeding at a pretty steady rate, only declining by a bit, for 5 days. (I'd call it a mid-heavy flow). I'd still have to wait another week to take the pregnancy test to be sure and I have a doc's appointment scheduled in a week and a half. But I would just like to know from your knowledge if I could rule out pregnancy now, due to all this bleeding and just call this a case of breakthrough bleeding in the second month after restarting the pill...

thanks.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
(female)

Sher.21 HB User

Hi. I missed a pill in my second week of active pills and started bleeding the day after I took two pills in one day. I've been having light bleeding ever since (11th day today) and it doesn't seem like its going to stop. I'm suppose to get my period tomorrow, should it be like my normal period or lighter since I've been bleeding this long already? Thanks.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
(female)

allison78 HB User

I have the same problem only I havent missed any pills ever. Today is my 11th day with what I call breakthrough bleeding, and I take my first inactive pill tomorrow. I hope I either STOP bleeding, or I have a normal period and then it stops. This is annoying, I just say its breakthrough...

Closed Thread