It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

wommar HB User
Question Somebody PLEASE post good Yasmin stories

I am new to Yasmin (well I am starting my first pack when my period starts next week) and all I have heard is horror stories. I have been on BC for 7 years.. the last 2 i have not used any BC. Well I am getting married in 4 months and have a decided that I need to get back on. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen for probably 3 years and then orthoCept for less than a year. All the time having breakthrough bleeding with both. So my doc told me to stop taking the pill and see if it goes away. And it did... Well now i am getting back on a my new doctor (my old doc closed) said he recommends Yasmin. I have tried all the others he recommends. I am really nervous about starting a regimen again. Please let me know of the good stories you have with Yasmin. I know other ladies would like to hear them.

Also, has anyone not taken their sugar pills and start the new pack in order to aviod their period for a special event. I normally start around the third week of the month and that is the time I am suppsed to be getting married......nothing like a period to ruin a honeymoon...

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

kumpulsivepicka HB User
Re: Somebody PLEASE post good Yasmin stories

I'm starting my second pack of Yasmin today actually. My first month on Yasmin went smoothly, no side effects (except being extra emotional). I know some other people who are using Yasmin and they love it. They didn't put on any weight and it helped clear their acne. Of course the experience depends on your body and how it responds to Yasmin (everyone's different).

Good luck!

P.S. It is okay to skip the sugar pills and go on to the next packet. You might experience spotting but that's normal. Congratulations on the wedding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

Heidi1677 HB User

I'm on my third month of Yasmin and have been fine. The only thing I haven't tested it for is keeping me from getting pregnant ... I'm still using condoms and spermicide to be safe. I'm starting the process of though of slowly trusting the pills. But other than that, I've been fine really. Everyone says I've balanced out emotionally a lot more, and I'm clinically depressed. That's a definite plus.

That aside, please don't try to skip a period. You don't want to even play with the idea of possibly getting pregnant, and you can get pregnant playing games like that. Unless you really don't mind getting pregnant, I wouldn't do it. It's really not worth. Trust me on this.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I take Yasmin and I have never had any spotting or anything like that. It makes my periods lighter and I never get cramps.. just mild stomach aches that I take advil to fix. I have skipped the sugar pills before, or taken a couple extra pills from the next pack to delay it and just have a little bit of a shorter time the next month, no problems at all!! It's so convenient. I've been on Yasmin for over 3 years. My gynecologist said it is fine to skip a period but not like ALL the time.. since the same hormones are in each pill. You don't want to do those with other brands that have different levels of hormones in different days or weeks. It's kind of like the Seasonale pills anyway.. but it's not healthy to skip your period for like a YEAR or anything.. that would scare me anyway b/c then you wouldn't know if you accidentally got pregnant somehow.

I have heard the horror stories too.. I actually do have a little bit of emotional problems and some on and off depression, but I don't think it is caused by my pills since I started being that way a year before I took the pill!! Just something I need to work on myself since I've somehow been quite a bit of a perfectionist and little obsessive compulsive

Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
(female)

wommar HB User

thanks for the advice.....

bumping...
for more responses

Old 06-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
(female)

A_Moore HB User

I was on Yasmin for about 6 months (that was after switching from a bunch of different pills). Yasmin was great, I even lost a few pounds the first month or so. As long as you take your pill the same time everyday and wait until you have been taking the pill for 7 consecutive days you will not have to worry about getting pregnant (but if you are hesitant, wait one month before having unprotected sex). Also you can skip the last week's sugar pills and just start a new pack to skip your period. This only works on the monophasic pills like Yasmin. And by taking pills straight through there is no greater risk of getting pregnant than if you had a period. It doesn't work for everyone though. I tried to skip my period for 3 months (like Seasonale) and I started breakthrough bleeding my third month, so now I just skip every other month. It's great!

I now just switched to the Nuva Ring. I like the idea of not having to take a pill everyday, so we will see how that goes!

Old 06-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
(female)

justdi HB User

I have been on Yasmin for two years. I tried some other pills before Yasmin and all of them gave me side effects (weight gain, acne, moodiness, etc.) The Yasmin has been perfect in every way *except* (and this is a big "except" for some people!) I spotted like crazy. Sometimes, worse than spotting...it was like two periods a month sometimes. But guess what? I stayed on it anyway, because I loved the fact that it didn't give me any of the other nasty side-effects that the other pills did (I tried Loestrin, Ortho Tri-Cycline, and Ortho Novum). So I put up with the spotting thing all this time. I just recently switched to Yaz last month at the suggestion of my OB/GYN. She told me it is essentially the same as Yasmin, but is a lower dose that is taken 24 days instead of 21 days (only 4 days of sugar pills instead of the normal 7). This is supposed to prevent spotting and keep things more normal. So we'll see! So far, so good...except for one thing (my abdomen has been swelling).

Overall, I recommend Yasmin, though. If it isn't causing spotting for you then that's great. Make sure you give it some time (3 months) before you make up your mind how it is working for you. The jury is still out on Yaz, so I can't really recommend that one to you yet.

Good luck and congrats on the wedding!

Last edited by justdi; 06-10-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

I just started Yasim my self so reading all these great reviews gives me hope. I sem to be one of those women who have alot of problems with Birth Controls for soem odd reason or another. Anyways thanks for the information.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
(female)

pillsearch HB User

I have been on Yasmin for a year and a half now. The good news: I have very light periods. Never any spotting or breakthrough bleeding. My periods are very predictable, and I have no cramps whatsoever. Before I started taking this pill I would be confined to my bed for two days a month with period woes. Also I have always had problems with acne and since I got on this pill my skin has been fabulous!
The bad news: I have become a very depressed and anxious person. I feel like I have become someone else. I have always been an emotionally stable person and never even got PMS. This has all drastically changed. It has taken me a while to accept it though, as it started off pretty manageable and has gotten worse every month. All my friends refer to this pill as "the pill that makes people crazy." I did not agree at first, as I wanted this pill so badly to be the perfect pill for me... Now I do agree with them though. ALSO I have absolutely no sex drive whatsoever, zilch, zero. I have a very hot boyfriend who is good in bed, and somehow I cannot get myself turned on and having an orgasm is nearly impossible. This side effect was gradual as well, and took me a while to realize what was happening. But month after month my sex drive was diminished to nonexistence. I am also hungry all the time and have gained some weight. However I am naturally thin and have a high metabolism, so this is not as bad as it could have been if I were someone who struggled with weight in the past. I have even started trying taking hoodia to curb my appetite a bit. I am not trying to be negative here. I just wish that someone had told me to watch out for the depression/lowered sex drive when I first started taking this pill. Perhaps then I would have caught it sooner. Hope your experience turns out better than mine. I am soon switching to Loestrin 24 to see if that helps.
good luck...

Old 06-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
(female)

Freckles83 HB User

I'm a 22 year old female and I started Yasmin 4 months ago (first time using birth control) and have been very pleased with my experience. I did notice during the first 2 packs I became more emotional and a little depressed. I was originally afraid to take BC because I have heard about women gaining weight. I used to be 145 lbs and now I am 125 lbs. I don't know if it is completely due to taking Yasmin, but I haven't changed my eating or exercise habits either. Yasmin also caused me to gain a cup size (thank god) and has regulated and shortened my cycle to 3 days. I have never tried skipping my sugar pills to skip a period, but I have friends that do it all the time and at worst experience a little spotting. Well anyways that's my experience with Yasmin.

Congrats on your Wedding!!!!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
Inactive

Hideout HB User

Pillsearch,

One thing for sure with Loestrin 24 - you will get your libido back and then some! It may take a month or 2 but your boyfriend will be very, very happy!

Old 06-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #12
(female)

bahamagirl HB User

Love it...no side effects, 2 day period, cleared acne, no weight gain, no cramps and no spotting.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #13

nix71572 HB User

I went to the doctor yesterday, after 9 months or so of little to no sex drive;no orgasms; long, irregular, heavy periods; massive bloating during the PMS time, and excessive cramps. She put me on YAZ and said I will be like a new woman.

After reading all of the side effects--especially the LOW sex drive (which I thought couldn't get any lower for me ) I'm wondering if there is something she knows that you all don't-OR-do I need a new doctor???!

I'd appreciate any insight or comments on this, as I have a vested interest in perking up my sex drive before going to Vegas for my 10th wedding anniversary in September.

THANKYOUVERYMUCH!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
Inactive

Hideout HB User

Like I said before, Norethindrone Acetate, the progestin in Loestrin 24, will increase your sex drive - trust me I know from first hand experience!!

Old 09-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #15
(female)

nboocher HB User

I am on Yaz for Polysytic ovarian syndrome which has resulted in horrible acne. I am on my 3rd pack and I love it. My ance is about 75% gone and I have no side effects from it. The 1st month was a little rough with a ton of spotting but ever since I finished that up then the last 2 months have been a cake walk. I have 3 day periods with little to no cramps and like I said my acne is so much improved I am thrilled. I think everyone is just different but it can't hurt to try it. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread