It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Unhappy Mirena coil - lost threads and its out of place

Hi All

I went to the Drs today after having the mirena coil fitted a month ago. Ive had continuous stomach aches and bad headaches. Well she said first of all she would check to see if its in place - and it isn't! There are no strings hanging down.
Ive got to go to have a scan to find out where it is and then will have to have it removed.

Im really concerned about the removal of it - I found it so painful when they inserted it, and also now I just want to get it out. The dr said they will basically have to fish for the strings in my uterus using some tortuous instrument of horror!

Has anyone been through the same thing and can you tell me what happened for you?

Im quite worried so any reassurance/or if it was horrible at least I can prepare myself.
Thanks
Tesss

Old 06-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User
Re: Mirena coil - lost threads and its out of place

They should remove your Mirena under anaesthetic and if I were you I would insist on it.

There are good short anaesthetics now and you would be able to go home the same day.

The thread retrievers that they use are not much different from the instruments used to fit your coil and if they locate it on the scan then they shouldn't have to 'fish for it'.

Please try not to worry too much, it is a routine procedure and you will feel better when its out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hey that does sound encouraging. My Dr had said they could do it under general anaesthetic but they will not usually do so but after your advice I am going to insist. Thanks for the reply, it has made me feel better.
Have you had it done?

Old 06-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

Not personally but I'm familiar with these procedures.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi
Just one more quick question - I had a feel and actually felt a thread, so it must have popped down. So I have made an appointment to got to my dr and get it removed. Just a bit worried though that if its popped down now could it just pop back up and disappear? I feel like trying to pull it out myself but Im not going to be able to get enough leverage to pull it myself!

Thanks a lot for the help.
Tesss

Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

That's good news. Your GP should be able to remove it now. Sometimes the threads curl up out of sight but a skilled Dr should be able to bring them into view. It will save you a hospital visit. Good luck.

Closed Thread