It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

ElleDriver HB User
Contraceptive injection

I'm getting the injection to prevent pregnancy tomorrow evening, but I just read that it could make periods HEAVIER or prolonged! Does anyone have any experience with this, and has that happened to you? Or does anyone know how common it is for periods to stop altogether?! (That would be better, obviously!)

Old 07-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

jenn1v HB User
Re: Contraceptive injection

Hi,

It can go either way. I was on Depo and within the 6 month on it my period stopped and when i got off of it it took a couple of months for my period to become regular again(i was getting my period every other week). My sister in-law was also on depo but her period didn't stop, it got worse. She bleed for the whole time on it till it was out of her system. I really suggest reading all you can about depo because once you have the shot you have to wait it out if you have side effects and that can be longer then the 3 months that they say. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

MiLuckiiStarz HB User

My doctor told me that if I got the shot I wouldnt have a period for 3 months, but Ive also heard that when getting off the shot it can often take up to a year to get pregnant. Then again my friend got pregnant ON the shot and didnt find out until 3 months into the pregnancy. Ive heard a lot of different things so I guess it depends on the person. Ive also been told by my friends sister that works in a hospital that its bad for you because its unnatural to not have a period when youre suppose to be getting them. Hope that helped some, and hopefully youre a lucky one and have it work the way you want it to lol out of everyone I know on birth control I was the only one that gained weight so you never know.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

for me I bled most of the first 2-3 months.. but afterwards I stopped having a period with the exception of some light bleeding towards the end of the 3 month period when I was due for my next shot.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

shannonbarie HB User

I was on the Depo shot for three years and didn't have a period at all for the time I was on it. It was heaven to me. I hate having periods. I had to get off the shot though because it caused my blood pressure to rise. I gained some weight but not a lot. My doctor told me that it was okay to not have a period while on the shot because you don't ovulate, hence no period. Everyone reacts differently to all medications. For instance my mom couldn't take BCP at all, she had severe side effects but for me it was fine and had little to no side effects. There are side effects to everything you take. Read up on it and be well informed. It may work for you and it may not. It's all trial and error.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

cark HB User

read my thread... bleeding for 8.5 months....

Closed Thread