It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

uabblazer83 HB User
How to Safely Stop Taking the Pill

Because of several negative side effects, I'm considering whether or not to go off the pill. If I decide to, how do I safely stop taking them without getting pregnant? If I have sex, how many days should I wait before stopping the pills? I read somewhere that sperm can live for up to 5 days inside of you...does that mean I need to wait at least 5 days? Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

pinkkangaroo HB User
Re: How to Safely Stop Taking the Pill

ahh.. someone please answer this question quick...b/c i am considering the same thing. i also just really want to stop thaking them!!! i just finished the last pack with the 5 sugar pills and all that...and i was like oh. since i am done with this pack completely, i will just discontinue them now...and be fine...but the i got to thinkin, i just had sex while on my period...like a day before the pack ended...so i was way too worried about getting pregnant to stop the pill. So i just went ahead and started another pack...now i think i have to wait another month and like not have sex for the last week and a half of the pack or something??? idk. please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

uabblazer83 HB User

I did ask a nurse in the doctors office this question yesterday. She told me that I could just stop taking them and then of course use condoms. I asked her about the whole waiting period thing, and she said it's a pretty hit or miss situation. Either the sperm hit the target, or they don't. She said they don't just hang around, if you know what I mean. But, you might want to just get another opinion for peace of mind. I"m still debating whether or not to stop taking the pill, so I haven't stopped yet.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

c. cheetah HB User

Hey girls!

I have been taking Estrostep FE for the past 9 or so years (started when I was 17) - I felt great on it although I didn't realize that I was experiencing many of the symptoms that I just started to read about online - from different discussion boards. But since many of them were from two years ago, I couldn't talk with them about going off it. So, my symptoms included low energy, difficulty with weight loss, and low libido (I cried when I found that others were experiencing this from the pill - I thought something was wrong with me). I tried to call my doc about this but couldn't in time - so I started a new pack and she then told me that she was going to switch me to Trivora, without any break. She said just to start it right after the period week. But I have been doing a lot of reading tonight and am considering just going off of it to see how my body would react - this new pill doesn't seem to be any different from the first one. I guess watching when I should have sex is better than no sex at all huh?

Old 07-17-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

If you want to stop taking the pill, just stop taking it. If you're really miserable and it makes you feel crappy, then I don't know why you are all so worried about quitting.

I stopped taking it and I'm on the second week of no pills, and I feel great. I have never felt better, in fact. But I'd been on for 14 years and by the time I quit, I really didn't care about the potential withdrawal symptoms, I just wanted to stop taking this stupid toxic poison any longer.

As for when you can have sex again, it doesn't matter. Just use another method of contraception. There are other methods of contraception besides the pill. Use a condom and a spermicide or something. Use anything that doesn't involved fake hormones. You can have sex whenever you want, just make sure you use something else instead of your pill.

Personally, I will never use another hormonal birth control method ever again. I can't believe I was stupid enough to stay on it as long as I did. But I'm also mad at my doctor for not telling me sooner about all of the long term effects before it got to this point. I'm really mad about that.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

I have 3 left in my active YAZ...taking them for cysts. have thought of just not taking them anymore...what do you all think? i feel HORRIBLE after I take them for the rest of the day. Like nauseous, tired, flushed. i dont know how to explain it

Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Kerri, you're so close to the end of your pack, you should just finish them out. When I was at my doctor's and told her I wanted to quit, she asked me how many active pills I had left. I had 6 active pills left in the pack. She said that if i wanted to, I could quit that day, but she said that in order to minimize the shock to my system, and also to keep my withdrawal period at the same time as usual, I should just finish the pack.

I don't know much about being on birth control for cysts, but I know that it's usually (typically) best to quit taking it at the end of your active pills. That's what most doctors reccommend.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

thank you for the quick reply. I guess I will tough it out the last few days...not looking forward to it but i guess it could be worse right?

Old 07-17-2006, 10:41 PM   #9

CrystalVisions HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracelet

Personally, I will never use another hormonal birth control method ever again. I can't believe I was stupid enough to stay on it as long as I did. But I'm also mad at my doctor for not telling me sooner about all of the long term effects before it got to this point. I'm really mad about that.
What are some of the long term effects of the pill? My doctor never told me about this, either.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

bvincent HB User

If you are planning on quitting the pill all together you must find another method of bc unless you are ready to become a parent. My first baby took me 6 months off of the pill, my second I was only off for a couple of days (went back on because I chickened out and was already pregnant much to my surprise) Because of being on the pill it took me a couple of months into the pregnancy before I took a test and there it was----baby two on the way. The pregnancy ended at 12 weeks with a mc, but nontheless it happened. If you are not ready to become a parent use something else. Everyone's bodies reacts differently and you can't tell what your's may do. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

i am not worried about pregnancy. I am wondering what happens when I go off after a month. LIke will i get my period on Thur. since my last pill is today or does it take a while or no? My doc is on vacation this week so i cant call and ask him. Also, does the sick feeling go away after I stop taking it? Thanks!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
(female)

Sweetpea_76 HB User

bvincent- Just curious, how long were you on the pill before quitting when you got pregnant w/your first child? I was on the pill for a year, but recently quit taking it to ttc. I have been on the pill before but only for a few months and got prego right away when stopping them. I thought it may take longer to get prego being on the pill longer than last time. Also, when you got prego w/your 2nd child, did you have a period after stopping the pill before you got prego? I quit my pills mid-pack, had withdrawal bleeding for 3-4 days, but have not had a period yet. I'm just a little confused with all of this

Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

bvincent HB User

Sweetpea --With baby number one I had been on the pill for 8 years faithfully. It took me 6 months to get pregnant with my little guy. With the second pregnancy I had been on the pill for about 22 months, maybe missed one or two here and there and got pregnant. I had really light periods on that pill (Ovcon 35) and still had the periods for the first month of pregnancy. My second month period never came. Took a test and it lit up like a Christmas Tree! Your body can do such crazy things. I would give it about a month before I started getting real concerned so that the pill has time to get out of your system and your cycles can start. It may take a while for your cycles to level out. Hope this helps!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #14
(female)

Sweetpea_76 HB User

Thanks bvincent! I have really regular cycles even not on the pill. I thought I should have a period by now but I'm going to wait like you said and let the pill get out of my body. It's just frustrating waiting for it to come and not knowing if your preggo. I think if AF doesn't come in the next 2 weeks, I'm going to test, that would be a month, maybe a little longer, since i've been off the pill and surely should have a period by then.

Closed Thread