It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
Getting period while purposely skipping period with BC pills?

This is my third month going on to my fourth month on bc pills. I purposely continued to take my active pills for this cycle to skip my period. This is my second week on my fourth pack of pills, I just continued from my third pack without taking the sugar pills. But today I'm starting to get pink colored blood. Is this just spotting? Or is my period coming? I never had any blood while on my active pills before. I've been taking the pills on time too, without skipping any days. Is this normal?

Old 07-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #2
(female)

ace8484 HB User
Re: Getting period while purposely skipping period with BC pills?

Skipping periods doesn't work for everyone. What you are experiencing is probably spotting, not a full blown period.

Do you notice that your periods are significantly lighter on the pill? If they are, skipping periods might be more successful (ie no spotting), than if your periods are the same as they were before while on the pill.

When you have your period the endometrial lining sloughs off due to a drop in hormones. Another reason it can slough off is due to its own weight/gravity (not hormones). By skipping your period with the pill, you stopped the endometrial lining from sloughing off, so now it is thicker since it has had longer to build up. If it gets thick enough where it can't stay attached to the walls of the uterus, then spotting occurs.

Are you on a tri-phasic pill? I have heard these don't work as well for skipping periods because of the varying amounts of hormones over the month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

I'm on Alesse. And my periods are shorter ever since I've taken the pills. I don't think I'm having a full blown period. It's just pink and brown and it's mostly there when I wipe (after going peeing). But how long will the spotting occur? And will this mess up my normal period schedule?

Old 07-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

No it won't mess up your cycle. However, you might as well get used to spotting because it happens a lot when you're on bcp's. I never had that problem before I started taking the pill, but ever since, I've had spotting off and on for the last 14 years.

There's no way to know how long it will last. But you should wear a panty liner or a pad until it goes away. It happens a lot while you're on the pill, so it's not a big deal, it's just really annoying.

Closed Thread