It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

erica0102 HB User
Loestrin 24 Fe

Hi everyone. I have been on Yasmin for about a year. My gyn. prescribed Loestrin 24 fe this week because on yasmin I had NO sex drive at all (completely had no orgasms or even wanted to have sex), i never want to eat (I am really too thin anyways), my hair and nails are thin and brittle, and my breasts have not grown like he said they would (not a big problem but one of the reasons I took bc). I was wondering if any of my symptoms would decrease with loestin. Also, because yasmin and loestrin as so similar in estrin levels and the fact I have not stopped the pill, will I have the continuous bleeding for a month again? I don't mind that fact though and am very familiar with it from yasmin!

So what I am asking is what side effects have been present in loestin 24 fe or 1/20 (since they have the same amt of hormones). Also what do the different hormones in any b.c. effect?

I am hoping at least that my sex drive will increase! It is frustrating the both of us!!

Thank you for any help. I am switching this week after my period if it still seems like a good idea.

Last edited by erica0102; 07-18-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

erica0102 HB User
Re: Loestrin 24 Fe

bump... please help or give advice. I am taking loestrin tonight unless i hear reasons otherwise. i've heard horror stories about both.

at least i need to know what side effects lower estrogen and higher progesterone will tend to do.

(higher/lower sex drive, higher/lower weight gain, etc.)

thank you so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica0102
bump... please help or give advice. I am taking loestrin tonight unless i hear reasons otherwise. i've heard horror stories about both.

at least i need to know what side effects lower estrogen and higher progesterone will tend to do.

(higher/lower sex drive, higher/lower weight gain, etc.)

thank you so much

There's no definate answers to your questions. Your libido and MAY increase, or it may remain stagnant. Many women try man different brands and never find an increased libido. It's a trial and error situation. The hormones in every pill brand have the potential to decrease your libido. There is no guarenteed "boost your libido" pill. Maybe this combination of hormones will work wonders for you, maybe it won't.

As far as weight gain, many newer studies have shown that the pill does not cause weight gain. The pill is synthetic hormones, and these studies show that hormones can't just cause fat = weight gain. Instead, all brands of birth control can increase your appetite. The studies suggest that if you give into the increased appetite, you'll gain weight. As with weight maintenance, it's all about consuming calories equal to what you burn.

I'm sorry to be so vague, but you just have to try the pill and see how it works for you.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

TamWasHere HB User

There is probably a big difference in our ages. I am pre-meno, 47 and I had lost over 80 lbs. dieting. My period was irregular and then stopped. I had lost almost all sex drive.

I can only speak from personal experience, but for all the other issues I am working thru with loestrin24Fe, I can say I did get my sex drive back, it took several weeks, but it did really help me with that problem.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Inactive

Hideout HB User

Erica,

Trust me, you will get your libido back due to the progestin, norethindrone acetate, an older, safer progestin. You may have some bleeding and spotting for a couple of months.

There is a big difference between Loestrin 24 and Loestrin 1/20. With 24, there are 24 active pills vs. 1/20 that have only 21. I know those 3 extra pills doesn't sound like a big difference, but it increases efficacy (prevents accidental pregnancies) by almost double.

You will love this pill and kick yourself for staying on Yasmin so long!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
(female)

erica0102 HB User

Thank you so much for your help. I ended up taking the pill after hearing all of your advice. Because of the lower estrogen, i am scared i'll lose more of my meager "a" cup, but sex drive is so much more important! Besides, if it does not work i can always switch pills. Thanks again.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
(female)

contrerasnid06 HB User

I have justed started loesrtin 24 about a month ago.. i haven't had alot of side effects.. My breasts have got bigger which im happy about cause im A cup..and my sex drive is high i probably think about it more than he does geez lol....but i have noticed i am getting moody.. i start yelling when i shouldn't and i get snappy thats the only down side i see so far. hopefully i helped out

Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
(female)

erica0102 HB User

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have been taking it about a week now, and I have had not one side effect different from yasmin. I actually feel much better already. I can't say much about sex drive or boobs yet though. Thank you for giving me more hope!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
(female)

Asterl8 HB User

Does the new Loestrin 24 Fe cause more bloating than the old Loestrin that had a 7 day period? I'm concerned because I'm very sensitive to bloating. I used to take the old Loestrin years ago until they discontinued it. I remember liking it. I'm considering trying the new Loestrin but am discouraged by the shorter period. Seems like when I'm on my period I feel the most normal while on birth control.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
(female)

erica0102 HB User

I am not bloating at all. I feel great btw! No side effects yet! I feel much better than I did on yasmin.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
(female)

princessfiona98 HB User

I am only in my second month on Loestrin 24 Fe and I am starting to get a yeast infection before each period. Is anyone else dealing with this?? I am one of those women that very, very rarely gets yeast infections and I am trying to see if there is a connection....

Oh yeah, and I have been really, really tired. I have taken several pregnancy tests because of my irregular bleeding and being so dang tired all the time...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

demo_girl99 HB User

I've been on it for 2.5 months, and I'm glad to see someone else gets tired...good to know it's not just me...however, this month has been much better than the first 2...so maybe I'm finally getting adjusted. However, does anyone know if there's any form of generic? I'm on samples from the dr., and i checked my insurance and it's $100 a month, EEK!

Closed Thread