It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #1

wazzle HB User
Arrow can I use my BC pills to push off my period by a week?

I'm getting married next May and I would like to try to push my period off for an extra week (i've done out the math and figured out when I'll be getting it). I've been on the pill for a few years now. Would it be bad if i just waited a week after finishing my current pack before starting the next one? I'm sure I'd have spotting and stuff for a few months, but it would be well worth it come my wedding/honeymoon.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Re: can I use my BC pills to push off my period by a week?

When I was still on the pill, I used to skip my period if I was going out of town on vacation and I didn't have any problems with spotting or breakthrough bleeding. But then, I'd been on the pill for at least 12 years before trying it the first time.

Anyway, some women do get spotting or bleeding when they try to skip a period, but some don't. And as long as you don't do it ALL the time, then you should be fine. Instead of taking your placebo pills, you would just start a new pack right away. And then at the end of that pack, take the placebos (or throw them away, whatever), and just take your new pack after you've had your withdrawal bleed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #3

wazzle HB User

well skipping the suger pills would push it to be a week earlier, not later. the way it falls now I'll get my period a few days after my wedding but during my honeymoon...so pushing it up a week wouldn't help. i kind of just want to delay a week before starting the next pack so i can avoid both weeks.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

If you want to skip one period cycle, just continue taking the next pack of active pills instead of the sugar pills. As long as you're on the active pills, you won't get your period. I tried this last month because I wanted to skip my period for the Juloy 4th weekend. I didn't get my period. However, about a week later, I've been getting spotting for a long time. This is the third week and I'm still spotting. I asked my doctor and she said it is because sometimes our bodies cannot hold our periods for that long. And it lets some blood out a little at a time. But once I stop taking the active pills at the end of the pack and let my period come, everything should go back to normal.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
(female)

friendsfan HB User

Instead of taking the sugar pills, take the last row of active pills from another pack this way you will not upset the level of hormones your body is use too.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

I have never had problems continuing with the next pill pack and throwing out the sugar pills -- my doctor said that I could do this for 3 months at a time. The other option you have is to switch to a different pill, Seasonale, which is made to give you only 4 periods a year. Convenient!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzy217
well skipping the suger pills would push it to be a week earlier, not later. the way it falls now I'll get my period a few days after my wedding but during my honeymoon...so pushing it up a week wouldn't help. i kind of just want to delay a week before starting the next pack so i can avoid both weeks.
if you skip it more than once between now and May though you can push your period to the week BEFORE your wedding so you don't have to worry about it.
The other thing is to start now and start the pack a few days earlier than normal. You will still get your period since you take a few days off, but that will gradually bump up your period earlier and give you the same results of having your period before the wedding.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #8
(female)

Shaelynn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsfan
Instead of taking the sugar pills, take the last row of active pills from another pack this way you will not upset the level of hormones your body is use too.
What if you're on Kariva? There are only 2 green sugar pills and then blue active pills. If I wanted to skip my period due to vacationing in Mexico, should I skip the two sugar pills and go to the blue or go straight from the white to a new pack beginning with white?

For those of you familiar with Kariva - you know the blue pills are probably not as strong as the white. I just wonder if I should start back up with white in a new pack the minute my green pills come up. Suggestions?

Closed Thread