It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
I Really Really Regret Skipping My Period!!!

I've been taking bc pills for 4 months now. Everything was fine until I decided to skip my period during the July 4th weekend because I went on vacation. My period was supposed to come during the July 4th weekend. Instead of taking the sugar pills and letting my period come, I continued taking the next pack of active pills. My period did not come. I enjoyed my vacation. However, on July 7th, I started to get light spotting. Then the bleeding became heavier and heavier. I've been bleeding ever since!!!! Today is the 3rd week of spotting. Three whole weeks of non-stop bleeding!!!! This is NOT a good trade-off at all. This is so annoying and inconvenient. I can't go swimming, I can't have sex, I can't do anything!!! I already finished the pack of active pills, and this week I'm on sugar pills. I'm hoping my period will come very soon so I can get this over with!!!! I'm so sick of bleeding all the time!!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: I Really Really Regret Skipping My Period!!!

Holland-
I have never once heard about skipping the "blank" pills at the end of the pack and starting the next round immediately. Has your doctor told you it's safe and ok to do this? I mean, I know you can skip the last week of pills, but again, have never been told by my gyno that I can just start the next round of pills in order to skip a period.

It just sounds a bit dangerous to me since the packs are designed to release hormones safely, without overloading your system. Have you called your gyno and asked them about this constant bleeding? I have just learned something new. Wow- it's amozing what you can learn from the boards! I feel really dumb now!!

Wow girl, I really hope starting the "blanks" will correct this and stop the bleeding. Have you ever looked in to getting the birth control shot? Once your body gets used to that you never have a period. Some women have spotting and/or bleeding for some time when beginning them, and some women have problems enough that they can't talke the shot, but I guess that can be the case with many of the oral contraceptives as well.

Good Luck, and please do keep us posted.

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-24-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
(female)

ace8484 HB User

Unfortunately not all women respond the same way to skipping their placebo pills. It doesn't work for everyone. Which pill do you take? Most triphasic pills are not very good at skipping with (because of spotting during the next cycle).

It is perfectly safe to not have a period exactly every 28 days by skipping pills. Seasonale would never have gotten FDA approval if it wasn't safe. (FYI: seasonale is exactly the same hormones as levlen/portia/levora, just without placebo pills and a longer pack).

Other examples of less periods: Back before the days of contraception(pills/condoms) women had way less periods. Think back to your grandparents/great-grandparents? How many kids did they have? When you are pregnant, you don't get a period, and back then people had lots of kids! Depo-provera is another example, most women only get a period every 3 months with that injection.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Yes. My doctor was the one who told me to continue taking the active pills in order to skip my period.

But she never mentioned anything about spotting for 3 weeks.

I did call them up last week to ask what was wrong. And the nurse said it is common for people to spot after they skipped a period because your body cannot hold the shedding of the uterus lining for that long.

I'm taking Alesse. Is that a triphasic pill?

So how do people usually skip their periods? This is the only method I know.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Cool Re: I Really Really Regret Skipping My Period!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug
I have never once heard about skipping the "blank" pills at the end of the pack and starting the next round immediately. Has your doctor told you it's safe and ok to do this? I mean, I know you can skip the last week of pills, but again, have never been told by my gyno that I can just start the next round of pills in order to skip a period.
That's how you skip your period is by taking the next round without taking the placebos. It's not a big deal. Women have been doing it for ages. And in fact that's the entire premise behind that new pill called Seasonale. (Which is by far the worst bcp available, but that's another story for another day)

Quote:
It just sounds a bit dangerous to me since the packs are designed to release hormones safely, without overloading your system. Have you called your gyno and asked them about this constant bleeding?
It's not dangerous at all. It does not overload your system. The period that you get while on the pill is not a real period anyway, it's just a withdrawal bleed. When you skip the placebos, you're just prolonging the withdrawal to the next month. However, the issue with all birth control, and the reason why she is having this breakthrough bleeding now, is because she was still too new on the pill and her body hasn't had time to adjust to the hormones. She's only been on it 4 months. It's not unusual for her to have this problem after such a short time.

For some women, it works fine regardless of how long they've been on the pill, but for others it causes spotting and breakthrough bleeding. Regardless, anytime you're on hormonal birth control, there will always be spotting and breakthrough bleeding sporadically the entire time you're on it, because it's THE MOST COMMON side effect out of ANY experienced while on the pill, whether you're skipping a period or not.

Quote:
Wow girl, I really hope starting the "blanks" will correct this and stop the bleeding. Have you ever looked in to getting the birth control shot? Once your body gets used to that you never have a period. Some women have spotting and/or bleeding for some time when beginning them, and some women have problems enough that they can't talke the shot, but I guess that can be the case with many of the oral contraceptives as well.
I would not advocate getting the shot because that has a host of other severe issues so much so that many doctors refuse to prescribe it anymore. The shot may soon be pulled from the market, in fact, because of the recent findings of how severely it depletes bone mass, which cannot be reclaimed once the shot it stopped. So many women have developed osteoporosis very early in life after using the shot. The statistics are amazing, but it's definitely bar none one of the most dangerous of all hormonal birth control.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
(female)

ace8484 HB User

I think we all posted at the same time...

Alesse is not a triphasic pill...it is a mono-phasic pill...it is also one of the lowest low dose pills out there, which means good efficacy (protection from pregnancy) with fewer side effects.

As for other ways of skipping your period...I can't think of any. I used to skip often when i first started taking the pill, now I don't anymore since my period has gotten so much lighter than it was before and it is a two and a half day period, not even worth the extra $$ for a new pack before my insurance will cover it.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Ace, how long were you on the pill before your period became a lot lighter? Was it heavy before?

And what's the difference between a normal period and withdrawal bleeding?

Old 07-25-2006, 04:40 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

When you're on the pill, what you have every month during the placebo week is a withdrawal period. As long as you're on the pill, you will never have a true period. The pill fakes your body into thinking it's pregnant the entire time you're taking it. When you stop taking the active hormones for a week each month, it is an artificial shedding of the uterus that only occurs because the hormone levels drop suddenly.

When you're not on the pill, your body naturally knows when it's time for your period and it happens naturally. THAT is a real period. But anytime you're on the pill, you're not getting a true period.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Oh, and I was on the pill for 14 years and my periods never really got any lighter. They would last 2 days and then stop for a day but then come back for 2 more days. That's how it was for me the entire time. It didn't really do much to help with that. Or to help with cramps, for that matter, because I still had really massive cramps the entire time I was on the pil.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 AM   #10
(female)

ace8484 HB User

I have been on kariva (generic mircette) for about 4 years. I would say the first 2 years my periods were the same as before i started the pill. (about 1 normal/super tampon every 6 hours for about 4-5 days) The only difference was with the pill they came every 28 days, and before the pill it was every 35 days (kinda sucked at the beginning getting them more often). Then over the course of a year they started getting shorter and lighter. Now I use about 1 light tampon every 6-8 hours for 3 days.

Another difference between a real period and a withdrawal period:

A real period is your body's way to get rid of an unfertilized egg. In a withdrawal period there is no egg (because you don't ovulate on the pill).

Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Thanks for all your replies!

Today is the third day of the sugar pills. And I'm still spotting and no period yet. Not even withdrawal bleeding! I get some blood sometimes. And sometimes there's nothing, totally clean!!!!

This is getting so frustrating!!! I really want my period to come so I can get this spotting thing over with!!!

Closed Thread