It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

KT87 HB User
Question how do you know if you're getting a blood clot

It says in the little booklet I got on how to take the pill, that it could cause blood clots in the legs or lungs...but how do you know if that's happening to you?

Old 08-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: how do you know if you're getting a blood clot

well I was on the pill for a long time and when I was 30 I had to get off of it because I got a blood clot in my leg. I woke up one morning and my calf had a tender spot and it was pink and warm. If I touched it, it felt like I was pressing a black and blue mark. I had a gut instinct that it was a blood clot, called my dr right away, he looked at it and said I needed a doppler venus study, which is a painless test. They hook up stuff that feels like a blood pressure cuff on your legs and blow it up and listen to the way your blood sounds going thru your veins. I was lucky it was a superficial one, called phlebitis. There is a more dangerous kind called a deep vein clot and that is really serious. I got it from smoking and being 30. I was on the pill for 15 yrs without a problem. How old are you and do you smoke? Do you have symptoms or were you just wondering?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

KT87 HB User

well from what you explained, i don't have the tender spot on my leg or anything. But I was just wondering what to look out for. I'm 19 and I don't smoke and I literally just started birth control for the first time ever. Only taken 2 pills in the pack so far

Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

KT I think you will be fine, you're young and you don't smoke....oh I was overweight too, not a good combination. if you're a normal weight, don't smoke and only 19 don't sweat it! But if you do feel something like that get it checked out.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
(female)

Cakies HB User

hey sorry to butt in on your thread but I think I may have a blood clot in my leg, my ankle is a bit swollen and above my ankle feels like a bruise if I press it, but I do not have any kind of red mark and I have only been on birth control for six days Im 19 and a non smoker. I mean the odds of me getting a blood clot from taking the pill for six days are slim right? Im not in any pain so Im wondering if its worth going to the doctor or just sticking it out a few more days?

Old 08-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cakies - is it warm to the touch where it's tender? I'd probably go to the doctor. Your odds are slim, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
(female)

Cakies HB User

Its not warm to the the touch, now that I think about it I think I saw your post with your similar symptoms and got a little parinoid, its sore up the back of my calf, but Im a Ballet Dancer so it could really just be a sore muscle or inflamed ligaments or tendons in my ankle. I just don't recall getting an injury, either way Im going to my dance schools phisical theripist tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cakies, mine was in the front, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be in the back, I guess.....I don't know. But I'm glad you're getting it checked....wow a ballet dancer, I envy you! I don't have the stamina, coordination, grace, strength, etc. etc. etc. Maybe it is just from overworking a muscle. Have you tried putting ice on it?

Old 08-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
(female)

kluhrs HB User

I am 19 years old, I am on the pill and I am a smoker. I regularly get pain in the top of my ankle and the back of my calf, should there be a big cause for concern? Thank you for your help.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
(female)

Cakies HB User

hi, I thought I would give you an update. I had an M.R.I and they found no blood clot (thank god) but there is quite a bit of fluid in the soft tissue of my anlkle, foot and up the back of my calf, which is strange because there is no sign of injury in any of the muscles, tendons or ligaments, yet there is so much fluid my leg is swollen from my knee down, I have absolutely no idea what is causing this?? but it did start a few days after starting the pill.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
(female)

kycountrygirl HB User

I was on the pill due to ovarian cysts when I was 13 years old....I stayed on them until I was 22 years old. I had a DVT blood clot December 2002 due to being on the pill for so long. However, I had no clue that I even had a clot. I thought I twisted my ankle or something as I would be walking (I worked in retail so I was on my feet a lot) and then would have to bolt up and stop because of the pain. I had redness (but I thought that was normal because my legs near my ankles would get red), puffiness, etc. I go to my orthopedic doctor and they said they would have me get a doppler ultrasound scan to see if I have a blood clot. He did a test of pushing my foot up and down, touching the skin, etc to see if I had pain in my calf. I really didn't have much. Got the test results and I had a blood clot. I had to do the lovinex (I can't spell it right) shots & be on plavix. It broke it up and I had no real worries, except that I had to get off the pill. I had blood work done to conclude that it was from the pills and not other factors.

I do not smoke (never have) and I'm 26 years old. If you have been on the pill for several months and see changes in your legs, have pain the calf, etc., go to your doctor and address your concerns. You could also have poor circulation in your leg as well if they are puffy, redness, etc. Write down when you experience your symptoms and what they are...and what did you just do for the previous few hours. Sometimes it could be the heat, sitting for long periods of time, an injury that you don't realize, or something else. Also write down when your last period is and if you are getting ready to start. This helps your doctor to determine what treatment is best for you.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions on blood clots.

Closed Thread