It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

jeri L. HB User
Has anyone found yasmin helpful for mood swings?

Hi, I'm new. I would like to know if anyone truly believes yasmin helps with mood swings including irritibility, anxiousness, agitation. My 16-year-old is getting ready to start it specifically to help get her regular so that we'll know whether or not her hormones could be playing a role in her monthly cylic mood swings (they can be pretty severe), and hopefully to help give her some relief in this area. She is abstinent so pregancy is not an issue here (she is mentally disabled). When she's happy she's is wonderful and loving, but when she's experiencing mood swings every few weeks it's very heartbreaking for a parent to feel so helpless. She is not bipolar. Our newest approach now is yasmin because I heard it can help with mood swings. Any positive stories on yasmine out there? Thank you. Jeri

Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
(female)

estephb21 HB User
Re: Has anyone found yasmin helpful for mood swings?

I heard it was too, I'm only on my second month so I can't really tell you if they have been working because so far they haven't with the mood swings I'm still kinda the same that I was before I started them. My answer really didn't help but I have heard the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
(female)

YvonneLovesCats HB User

Hi Jeri. I am on my second month of Yasmin and I can say, yes, it does help with mood swings. Ordinarily I am a very calm and nice person, but during the time (1-4 days) right before my period, I am a totally different person. Estrogen tests have confirmed that my body's production of estrogen during this time plummets, which in turn causes severe depression in my case. After trying the anti-depressant "Lexapro" - which was not helpful - I tried Yasmin. Although I contend that it is helpful for mood, I offer several caveats: First, a floater has appeared in my right eye since I began Yasmin. (If you explore the message boards, you will see that several other girls have also experienced this phenomenon.) I am suspicious that the floater I am seeing in my visual field might be a blood clot from Yasmin. Second, I have been experiencing vertigo lately. I'm 19-years-old, and these occurances are rather premature. Right now I'm looking into replacing Yasmin with temporary mood-elevators for PMS times, perhaps Xanax to calm my thoughts and irritability. You may want to look into alternatives for your daughter before putting her on birth control. It sounds like she's battling temporary fits rather than daily discontent.

Best,
Yvonne

Old 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
(female)

ShaRaeW HB User

yasmin had a really bad effect with me... for the whole month that I was on it I cried or was raging ******... I cried every day though. it was HORRIBLE!! I hope it works for you. The b/c that has worked the best for me was ortho tri cyclen. Good Luck

Old 09-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

sbabayan HB User

Jeri,

I started Yasmin when I was 18/19, and only stayed on it for 3 weeks, due to very bad side effects. I experienced anxiety, agitation, chest pain, leg cramps, panic attacks. yasmin can have a very bad effect on some people. i would not recommend it. other monophasic pills can stabilize mood and do not have the horrible side effects. i wish you the best!

Old 09-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
(female)

YvonneLovesCats HB User

Jeri,

I went to my general physician today and he put me on Serafem. What's great about it is that it doesn't need to be taken daily, but it significantly elevates one's mood. Your daughter could take it up to 5 days before her period, and stop the medication when her period begins. It is an SSRI and is specifically geared towards alleviating Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD).

Good luck,
Yvonne

Old 09-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Smile Re: Has anyone found yasmin helpful for mood swings?

I'm only finishing my first pack of Yasmin.. but already I've seen a MAJOR improvement in my mood swings. I had one bad emotional day, yestserday actually, where I didn't want to be bothered by anyone and easily teared up when i had a problem at the pharmacy and got frustrated! But even that is much better than what I normally experience, before Yasmin. Previously I've been easily irritated, stomping around the house when I was ****** off, complaining about everything, taking it out of others, giving an attitude to everyone just about. I also usually experiece days of depression, which for me, is worse than the irritability.

I chose Yasmin specifically for the mood swings and depression. I also noticed a huge change in my cramping. This month, I barely cramped at all... and when i did the pain was minimal and only last for a minute or so and faded out.

In my experience so far, I recommend Yasmin to anyone who experiences, severe mood swings and depression.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
(female)

jeri L. HB User

Thanks for the insight. We've already explored other mood stabilizers and some other psychotrophic meds to no avail. That is the reason we (and her docs) have decided to try birth control because we are not fully convinced it isn't hormonal. It's all trial & error. Thanks for the advice. Still hoping to learn more.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
(female)

jeri L. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneLovesCats
Jeri,

I went to my general physician today and he put me on Serafem. What's great about it is that it doesn't need to be taken daily, but it significantly elevates one's mood. Your daughter could take it up to 5 days before her period, and stop the medication when her period begins. It is an SSRI and is specifically geared towards alleviating Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD).

Good luck,
Yvonne
Thanks. I'm not informed as to what SSRI stands for, or how Serafem is classed as a drug. Interested in learning more about it though. I hope it works for you.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
(female)

Smileygal HB User

I am starting Yasmin myself later this week. I too get pretty emotional, cry easily and get a bit down during pms time. I will let you know as time passes if Yasmin makes any difference with those moodswings. I didn't realize it could but am glad to hear that's a possibility.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
(female)

jeri L. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneLovesCats
Jeri,

Good luck,
Yvonne
Hi Yvonne. Still don't know what SSRI stands for, but i learned that Sarafem is classified as an antidepressant and has a mood-elevateing effect on seratonin levels. It used to be known as prozac, but was given a new name because they are finding it can help with PMDD. It's good that you can take it as needed 5 days before period begins. The words "as needed" always sound better that having to take something continuously. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #12
(female)

NinjaCowboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri L.
I'm not informed as to what SSRI stands for, or how Serafem is classed as a drug.
Hi - I don't know anything about Serafem specifically, but SSRI stands for Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Prozac is a good example.

Here's a pretty good definition that I found. You can always play with Google for more info:

A type of drug that is used to treat depression. SSRIs slow the process by which serotonin (a substance that nerves use to send messages to one another) is reused by nerve cells that make it. This increases the amount of serotonin available for stimulating other nerves.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #13
(female)

LadyMirabelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabayan
Jeri,
yasmin can have a very bad effect on some people. i would not recommend it. other monophasic pills can stabilize mood and do not have the horrible side effects. i wish you the best!
Many monophasic pills can have a bad effect on some people. I was on Alesse a few years ago and only stayed on it for five days it caused me so much anxiety and made me severly depressed in such a short time. I am currently on Yaz (same hormones as Yasmin, just different levels), and I have found it to be very good...I didn't have mood swings while not on the pill, but had them on basically every pill I tried except for this one.

Everyone is different, so your daughter may have a good reaction to the pill. It is worth monitoring the side effects -- you will know if it is having a negative effect on her and she can stop.

good luck!
Mirabelle

Closed Thread