It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
(male)

zerodin HB User
Pregnant or not pregnant??

Hi,

I'm a 21yr old male, in a bit of a situation, and I desperately need some advice from a more experienced person on this subject. My ex-girlfriend, whom I broke up with around 4 months ago told me at a party at the weekend that she has missed the last 4 periods. She told me that she was not pregnant, that she had taken two home tests, and that they were negative.

About 1 month ago, she says she was suffering from stomach pains, and that she went in for a scan to find out the cause, (presumably ultrasound), and they checked her kidneys etc, but found nothing. She is taking peppermint oil capsules, I presume to calm her stomach. As far as I am aware, she has been taking the combined pill as normal all along, but just isnt having periods on her break.

We had unprotected sex again at this recent party, which apart from making me feel bad has turned me into a nervous wreck. I'm not sure I entirely trust her story about the scan etc...(ie. if she really went) Here are my questions

1) Supposing she is 4 months pregnant, and that she is a size 8, would she be showing now?

2) Can periods be stopped in some women by the combined pill? If so, would a GP still recommend using that same pill as normal?

3)Supposing she isnt pregnant, and the pill is stopping her periods, would that make her potentially fertile?

4) On a "scan", to diagnose the cause of stomach pains, I presume pregnancy would be something they would look for?

I've been terribly irresponsible, and trying to bring up a child at my age I feel would be unethical - I'm barely finished growing up myself.

Thank you for your time,

David

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User
Re: Pregnant or not pregnant??

Only her Dr. would know for sure, but if she is taking the pill properly she shouldn't get pregnant. If they did an ultrasound of her kidneys, they would most likely notice that she was pregnant. A woman at 4 months might not be showing, but you might notice some fullness around the middle. Best of luck and try to be a little more careful.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:48 AM   #3
(female)

LadyMirabelle HB User
Re: Pregnant or not pregnant??

1) Supposing she is 4 months pregnant, and that she is a size 8, would she be showing now?

- Pregnancy doesn't always show. Sometimes you can't tell until she's reached full term, although it's less common. I think by 4 months it's likely -- but not necessarily so.

2) Can periods be stopped in some women by the combined pill? If so, would a GP still recommend using that same pill as normal?

-Periods can be stopped in some women, depending on the type, scheduling and dosage of the pill. However, most birth control pills recommend that if you skip more than two periods in a row while on the pill, that you see your doctor.

3)Supposing she isnt pregnant, and the pill is stopping her periods, would that make her potentially fertile?

- No, not if she is taking it correctly. The pill stops ovulation. The "period" that a woman gets while on the pill is not an actual period at all, because, like I said, she is not ovulating. It is mostly withdrawl bleed - from the drop in hormones. Not bleeding on the pill is not a bad thing, as long as the possibility of pregnancy is ruled out.

4) On a "scan", to diagnose the cause of stomach pains, I presume pregnancy would be something they would look for?

- It is possible that they would not have seen a baby, because when you have an ultrasound ordered, it is not necessairly for a general area; they may have only looked at her kidneys. Since i don't know the details, I can't tell, because they may have been looking for a baby...why not ask for a blood test to see if she is pregnant? Those are the most accurate.

Good luck, I hope everything works out!
-Mirabelle

Last edited by LadyMirabelle; 09-23-2006 at 01:48 AM.

Closed Thread