It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
(female)

alaska_free32 HB User
Mirena IUD for cysts/heavy periods

Hi

I have a tough decision to make. My periods for the past year have been very heavy and painful. Things got progressively worse in June. It started out as a late period in June. Then I got 2 periods in July, 2 in August. One of which lasted close to 30 days. Then had another one 3 days after that ended.

The ultrasound showed a 3 cm cyst on the right ovary. I have tried provera a couple times in the past 4 monts to stop periods. I have been getting bad headaches from it. My dr gave me two options.

1. Have a Mirena IUD put in.
2. Have surgery to remove the cyst and hope it gets better. We don't know if the cyst is causing these problems. (makes me wonder if they are)

Having an Mirena IUD put in, kind of freaks me out. I never been sexually active. I have no clue what to expect, I was told it will hurt. And I could bleed for the next 5-6 months. Not sure I can handle that. I just got done with a 30 day period.

I am leaning towards removing the cyst and the dr will do it, if I ask. The problem is that she is not sure it is causing it. She thinks that the IUD will possibly shrink it.

can the IUD help with cysts? Is it painful to get it put in when I have never been sexually active.

Any help would be great.
Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
(female)

lms910 HB User
Re: Mirena IUD for cysts/heavy periods

I got the Mirena IUD almost 4 years ago. It did not hurt to get inserted and after 6-8 months I've pretty much stopped having periods! I can't say enough good things about it. I never had terribly heavy periods before, but they were bad enough! Not sure about the cysts you have, but I would give the mirena a shot! I will get a new one put in after my 5 years is up. I love it!
Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

alaska_free32 HB User

Hi Ims,

Thank you for getting back to me. I canceled the surgery today and decided to go with the IUD. I am trusting my dr on this one. This is one tough decision to make. My dr will put the IUD in whenever I get my period. Then they will do an ultrasound about 3-4 months later to check on the cyst. If the cyst hasn't changed or worse, then the next step is surgery.

Were you sexually active or had kids before you had the IUD put in. I have never been sexually active and was curious how painful it will be. Also, how was the bleeding the first couple months. Was it heavy or just spotting. The thought of having no period sounds great. I am so ready to stop having them.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jennifer

Old 10-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #4

jasmine1976 HB User

I had the Mirena put in about a month and a half ago. I am very sexually active but have never had children and they say that the pain is worse if you have never had children. The pain putting it it was horrible for me and I didn't feel great for the rest of the day. When I got home and read their pamplet, it actually said that some people get a local anesthisia but I think if you take a couple of advil before you go in, you should be fine. I didn't take anything because I was just expecting a couple of PMS type cramps. It hurt bad but he had the pap and everything done in less than 5 minutes so it's bearable. Other than the insertion pain and not feeling well the rest of that day--I have had no problems except for the fact that I am breaking out a lot more than usual. I think that was from a new makeup that I tried though but I'm not real sure. I LOVE it, but I have heard that some women have some serious problems with it. Every person is going to react a little different to it though.

Last edited by jasmine1976; 10-06-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Closed Thread