It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

alaska_free32 HB User
When is the best time to put in an IUD

Hi

It looks like I have made the decison to have Mirena IUD put in to reduce my heavy periods and shrink a cyst.

When is the best time to put one in? My dr was ready to put one in this week eventhough I am not on my period? I asked her what is the easiest and she said during my period.

Is there a higher rate of explusion for those who had an IUD inserted when they are not on their period? What time is the best time as far as less pain? Also, how do they put one through the cervix when I never had a kid. Will it be too small?

I am a bit anxious about having one put in during my period because I already deal with heavy bleeding and cramps. I am afraid it might be a bit on the messy side and in more pain.

Can anyone reassure me.

Thanks
Jennifer

Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User
Re: When is the best time to put in an IUD

you can have an IUD inserted anytime. expulsion has nothing to do with whether or not you have your period. the reason that most doctors want to do it while you are on your period is because during that time your cervix is softer and its easier to get it in.

even if you havent given vaginal birth, the IUD can still go in. i've had a child, but i had a c-section because my cervix would not dilate. so basically, my cervix has never been opened and its like i've never given birth. and since i wasnt on my period when i had my IUD put in, my cervix was clamped shut! i have to admit, the insertion was very painful for me (it felt like someone was trying to poke my belly button from the inside with a very sharp stick) and it took a while, but once it was in i had very little cramping and bleeding. i was absolutely back to normal the very next day.

i am very happy with my IUD (no more periods!!) and will definitely have another one put in again, even if i have to go through the pain of the insertion. its definitely worth it. small price to pay for great benefits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

Anisa HB User
Re: When is the best time to put in an IUD

I was advised to make an appointment when I got my period but when I called on the monday they were too busy and told me to come down the following monday (period had stopped by then)
It was pretty uncomfortable, even painful for a moment or two, but its over with in minutes.

Cramps were pretty bad and even worse the next day, I just took nurofen and had my hot water bottle to hand.
By day 4 they had completely gone though Ive been bleeding/spotting ever since I had it done 4 weeks ago though Ive been told everything should settle within 3 months. I hope so, Im sick of chucking underwear away!

I am 21 and have no kids either so dont worry about that aspect of it.
Its great not having to remember to take a pill every day

Closed Thread