It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

pearly HB User
Question When do I start Nuva Ring?

I have about four doses, or ring of nuva ring. I just got off ortho tricyclen in April. I have taken a break now I am needing to get back on bc. My doctor gave me the ring to try for a few months...When do I insert the ring? I begin my period around October 17---if that helps.
Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
(female)

Cintina HB User
Re: When do I start Nuva Ring?

I stopped using the patch on my own for 2 months and then decided to go back on birth control. My periods stopped. I found out that your periods can stop for upto six months after suddenly stopping birth control. Anyway, my doctor wanted to wait until I had a period before inserting the ring. She gave me meds to try and provoke the period to start, and nothing for 2 more months. She finally decided to go ahead and insert the ring in hopes that it would help to get the period starting. After 2 months on the ring, my period finally started back to normal. So, I am guessing that you can start it close to when your period is about to end or even before it ends. You have to insert it on a Sunday. BUT REMEMBER...you have to use regular birth control for at least 2 weeks when just starting the ring. Meaning you need to either use condoms or some other form of protection until then. Go to the ring web site and read more there. It has the insert information there too. Another warning about the ring...in the 2 months that I was on it, my appetite...especially for sweets was out of control! I was never so hungry all the time. I go to the gym 4 days a week, buy still gained 13 lbs in those 2 months. I switch over to the patch to help stop the weight gain, but still have effects. So now I am going to try the Mirena IUD. I read a lot on that. Other than periods for the first 3-6 months, it supposedly is the safest and causes no weight gain. We'll see what happens. I'm getting it inserted next week after my period is over.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
(female)

terpamber HB User

In the 'perfect' world you start if on the 8th day after your period started. If you don't get your next period then call your doctor and make sure s/he approves you to just "start." Make sure your safe untill you have had a normal cycle on the ring.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Last edited by Infinitum; 10-10-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

when I was on nuvaring--as is with any birth control----if you're period starts say on the 17th, you would insert it on sunday october 22---that's if you want to be a sunday starter with birth control (even if you're still bleeding, still put it in on Sunday). also, if you're a sunday starter, then you have to use a backup method for the first month.

hope this helps.

Last edited by Infinitum; 10-10-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
(female)

motheroftwof HB User

I was told to start it on the Sunday after you start your period.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
(female)

LadyMirabelle HB User

You should insert the NuvaRing within the first five days of starting your period. It doesn't have to be Sunday. This is what it says on the NuvaRing website. The website also says to use backup for the first seven days of having the NuvaRing in during the first month... but it has always been recommended to me to use backup for the entire first month after starting any birth control.

Good luck,
Mirabelle

Closed Thread