It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Spotting after skipping sugar pills

My coworker skipped the sugar pills in her pack, and now says that she has been spotting... but it's brown, like old blood. How long can she expect this to last? It's been going on for four days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User
Re: Spotting after skipping sugar pills

The "sugar" pills are placebos. They don't have any hormones in them and don't affect the actual period or bleeding of any kind.
I never take mine, I throw them away since they're useless.

The spotting she's experiencing could be from something else and could be normal, especially if she just started taking the pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

No, she's been on them for a long time, and occasionally skips the off week and goes right to the next pack so that she can skip her period. She has done this with success in the past and this is the first time she's had the breakthrough bleeding. The question is, how long might she expect it to last?

Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

I've personally never experienced breakthrough bleeding so I don't know much about it. I'm sure it's not going to last very long. The longest I've heard from other women is like 2-4 days. It really depends on why she's experiencing that. It could be because her pills are no longer working properly and maybe she needs to switch to something else.
The best thing is to just talk to her doctor and figure it all out.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I would also guess that it would only be a few days, but I'd imagine the longest it COULD be would be maybe 5 days or so? I have never had this happen to me when I skip the placebo pills.. I would ask the doctor about it if the spotting doesn't stop soon.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Sometimes women have breakthrough bleeding or spotting when they try to skip, even if it's never happened before, just BECAUSE the pill is like that. That's only part of the reason why it sucks. Anyway, I don't think she needs to assume that her pill isn't working anymore. Rather, I think she should assume that this time, for whatever reason, her body just didn't feel like allowing her to skip.

As to how long it will last, it's anyone's best guess. There's really no way to know for sure.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
(female)

bjz823 HB User

I had a little bit of brown blood and was told it could be due to endometriosis. Not sure if this could be your problem. I had a case severe enough to cause pain but I wonder if someone could have a mild case and only have the discharge as the only symptom.

Closed Thread