It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
IUD how bad is it really?

I'm getting a copper IUD next week and I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten one. I have not had any kids, but I have tried to other forms of b/c and none work. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly, so I know what I'm up against. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cstep HB User
Re: IUD how bad is it really?

actually-I have the plastic on (a five year). I have two kids. I have had mine for four years already. I love it, the only side effect I have is I have stopped having periods-no cramps either! However, I am concerned because to be eligable for the IUD-you are supposed to have at least one child and a consistent sex partner. This is what my doctor told me and what it said in the video I watched that was made from the manufaturer of the IUD. My doctor also told me the copper one wouldn't give such great results in relieving the period symptoms-I was thinking about getting that one next year, but the one I have is working so well that I will just have another one placed-it's called myrena. I am just concerned about you getting it witout having any children prior to this-just seems odd. Getting the IUD placed does hurt-I won't lie, but for less than a minute, could me shorter, but I'd rather have that pain for a minute and be free from worrying about birthcontrol. I also had bad cramps for about a day or two afterward-just your body trying to kick out the foreign object, but as soon as it realized it wasn't going anywhere everthing was fine. hope this has helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Thank you for your advice. I spoke to Planned Parenthood about the fact that I haven't had children and want to in the next five years, and they said not to worry about it, and that more and more women who have not had children are opting for the IUD. I guess the main thing for women who have not had children is a higher insadence of the IUD slipping out.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

loralei HB User

My doctor told me the only reason the manufacturers prefer to give it to women who have already had children is in case of bad side effects. For some reason they assume a woman who has already had children can cope better if they get an infection (from the IUD) and can no longer have kids.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
(female)

Mommy-Lisa HB User

I also have a mirena, and the insertion is definitely not pleasant. About an hour after it was done, I got really lightheaded and thought I was going to faint. I don't know what caused that, but it wasn't fun.

I don't usually have a period, and if I do it is just spotting for a day or so. A good friend has the copper one, and is having it removed because her periods are so bad. She never had cramps or PMS before, but now has bad cases of both. Her periods also are really heavy and last around 10 days.

I thought they discouraged use in women without kids because the uterus didn't open as easily and expulsion occurred more often.

Last edited by Mommy-Lisa; 12-27-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

jenn1v HB User

Hi,

I have the Pargaurd IUD(the copper one) and haven't had children as well. I have had it for about almost 2 years and love it! Doctors usually don't suggest it to women who haven't given birth cause there can be a higher rate of it expeling, but it's still a small % of that happening. It didn't really hurt very much. It only took about 5 mins and i had a few sharp pains but had cramping for a couple of days after it was put in. I suggest that you take some advail a hour before your appointment and have a heating pad on hand for the cramps. The only side effect with the paragaurd is heavier bleeding during your period and more cramping but from my experience that past after a few months cause my body got used it. Good luck

Old 12-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Thank you for all of your responses. I am going to go get it done Wednesday of this week (they want me to be on my period when I have it done), I'm thinking of calling and seeing if they will call in a prescription for Ativan before hand, because I have bad anxiety and I don't think that my Clonazapan will cut it.

I guess everyone has their own stories with them and reactions, and I'm going to just go with the flow (that was a bad pun lol), and if it creates horrible periods then I will have it removed.

Any more experiences are welcomed, like I said, I wanna know the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I went to get it today and first off my iron was a bit low (10) and then they couldn't get the iud in because my os (sp?) wouldn't open, but I still have really bad cramping and feel sick... is this normal even without having it inserted?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #9

KodakLindz HB User

I just had Mirena inserted last Wed (Jan 3rd) almost a week.

It was nothing. The worst part was the insertion of the (I dont know the technical term) tool they use to open everything up, and having to have it there while the IUD was being placed. I figured if I could have a child I can deal with having an IUD put in. It did not hurt but was just all uncomfortable.

My dr told me copper IUD arent recommended b/c they can cause heavier cramping and heavier flows so, to me even though it lasts 2x as long as Mirena (plastic IUD) it kinda defeats the purpose. Just my opinion, maybe this doesnt happen to everyone that has it. So far I love Mirena.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I had the Mirena inserted yesterday and I've been having really bad cramping... plus it doesn't help that I'm on crutches due to a busted ankle. Have you had any weight gain or mood swings on it? (the Mirana, not crutches )

Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #11

KodakLindz HB User

haha. cant say I've been on crutches lately (sorry to hear about that).

The day I got it done I was perfectly fine hardly any spotting at all, and same for the second day. From then on (day 3 until 7 which is today) it feels like Im about to start my period the mild annoying cramps and I feel kinda bloated, lower back aches once in a while. How you feel a day or two before you start your period with some light spotting. I'm hoping these symptoms will fade.

I think I'm going to greatly enjoy my iud opposed to the pill!!! So far so good!I have enough to worry about with my 4 month old

Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Today I am still having bad cramps, but more worrisome to me is that I cannot feel the strings of the IUD... I don't know if I'm not feeling for them in the right place or if the fact that I have long nails is interfering, but it's still kind of freaking me out.

Closed Thread