It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User
What Birth Control has the least side effects?

I am worried about becoming a guinea pig!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Sweet55 HB User
Re: What Birth Control has the least side effects?

I'm on the Ortho Evera birth control patch & I haven't really noticed any side effects with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

The ortho evera patch has a lot of side effects.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

BC without synthetic hormones!

Old 12-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

All pills were horrible for me. Every one killed my sex drive. On Ovcon35, I gained 20 lb. of water weight in 1 month and it turned me psycho with anxiety & panic attacks & mood swings and depression. I'm through with hormonal birth control. I'm using condoms during my fertile phase in conjuction with FAM (fertility awareness method). I'd have to say condoms and FAM are the best for me--ZERO, zero side effects. Actually, I find FAM fascinating and can't believe it is not more widely accepted. When practiced correctly, it is highly accurate and is NOT the same as the much maligned rhythm method. Plus, it is empowering being able to pinpoint when I ovulate and know exactly when to expect my period. And, when I'm ready to have a baby, there will be no wait for my body to regulate itself and I now know how to spot the 6 days or so of my cycle when I am fertile.

Last edited by livinTX; 12-28-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Sweet55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alagaesia
The ortho evera patch has a lot of side effects.
What side effects does the Ortho Evera have??? I never noticed any & I have been on it for more than a year & I'm still on it.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

vintagegirl HB User

I have always used the rhythm method (with great success because
I was always regular)....but now I no longer am and may be dealing with pcos. If that's the case, I'll have no choice but to take a synthetic hormone. I'll have to look up FAM....how is it different than rhythm?

Last edited by vintagegirl; 12-28-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

FAM is different from rhythm in that you continously monitor your basal body temperatures (BBT) and cervical mucus (CM). It allows you to pinpoint exactly when you ovulate, whether that is cycle day 14 or 19 or day 36 (if you skip a period for example). Before ovulation, your temperatures will be lower. For example, before I ovulate, my basal body temperatures are in the 97s. You need to buy a basal thermometer and you take you temp. first thing upon waking daily. For the best accuracy, you need to temp. at the same time each morning before getting up or drinking water and ideally after at least 3 hours of sleep. There is some amount of flexibility in this but I try to adhere to these rules when possible. Sperm needs slippery CM to survive. When CM resembles uncooked eggwhite, it often precedes ovulation. After ovulation, your temperatures are higher (mine are generally above 98 degrees). So after having 3 days of higher temperatures plus noticing eggwhite CM, you can pretty safely assume ovulation has occurred, and it is safe to have sex without condoms until your period. Also, CM tends to dry up after ovulation. Also, the first 5 days of your period are likely infertile (depending on when your temperature shift for ovulation occurred). There's a good book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that explains FAM. You should try to borrow it from the library or purchase it if you're interested in FAM.

Last edited by livinTX; 12-29-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
(female)

CaitlinJ22 HB User

I am very interested in this method, I am sick of hormones and I dont want to use condoms all the time bc I cant stand them. Can Anyone tell me how long it will take after getting off the pill it will take to be able to accurately track my temp for FAM? I was very regular before the pill, but that was 6 yrs ago. Can anyone help me?

Closed Thread